• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump 2024?

Well, fuck. That's quite the conundrum for Trump.
Dems should pony up! :thumbup:
I'm wondering if Trump is claiming the RNC's payments as income on his taxes.
Another reason Dems should foot the bill: THEY can report the payments to the IRS.

That's demonstratedly false. If white people still controlled this country, they would not be tearing down statues of their founders. It would be the act of an insane person to destroy their own legacy.

Perhaps white people do still have the most money. But what good did having money do for the jews in Germany?
Founders aren't automatically good guys. The left doesn't automatically worship people because of the position they held.

And note that most of the statues that have been torn down are Jim Crow era symbols of repression, not statues of founders anyway.
I'm old enough to remember when the left very definitely did worship monstrous tyrants. And still today the left will indignantly extenuate wrongdoing by anyone who can plausibly brand themself as a victim of some injustice of which the left approves.

So, I'll point out here that I don't think anyone on the left is asking to ban books.

I wouldn't support the banning of Mein Kampf, as odious as that "work" is, nor the Bible.

I don't think the toppling of Hitler statues erased him, either.
I wouldn't support banning the creation and/ or possession of statues of evil doers; however I do not think they should be displayed in the public square with inscriptions glorifying them as all out heroes, and maintained with taxpayers dollars.
I think, in America, yer Christian nationalists should take their great big graven-image icons of traitors to America and other early proud slave owners, and erect them hard in their churches, along with copious ornamental drapery of the Confed flag--perhaps a few Nazi banners thrown in for variety.

Trumpwithoutmakeup.jpg

This picture says a thousand words. Recall how Trump mocked Biden’s age in 2020?
Ana Navarro’s tweet includes this pic of Trump at his Bedminster Golf Club yesterday.
Trump likes to portray himself as a manly man but couldn’t walk a golf course.
Joe Biden bikes, exercises, and is in good health. Trump couldn’t ride one if he tried.

Trumpwithoutmakeup.jpg

This picture says a thousand words. Recall how Trump mocked Biden’s age in 2020?
Ana Navarro’s tweet includes this pic of Trump at his Bedminster Golf Club yesterday.
Trump likes to portray himself as a manly man but couldn’t walk a golf course.
Joe Biden bikes, exercises, and is in good health. Trump couldn’t ride one if he tried.
He looks his age. If it weren't for his ridiculous vanity and his never ending tirade of insults about other people aging, there'd be nothing to this pic.

A few weeks ago: Ron DeSantis tops Donald Trump in national 2024 poll when first and second choices combined
When first and second choices were combined, DeSantis was ahead of all potential candidates, including former President Donald Trump. Sixty-four percent of respondents favored DeSantis in one of the top two slots, which put the Governor 7 points above Trump.

Other candidates lagged. Former Vice President Mike Pence drew 17% support when first and second choice balloting was added up, while former United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley garnered 15% “top-two” support.

DeSantis was not able to dethrone Trump as the top choice overall for 2024, however.
First choice: Trump: 43%, DeSantis 34%, Pence 7%, others less, undecided 8%.
Second choice: DeSantis 34%, Trump 16%

But after the FBI raided Trump's estate,
FBI raid gave Trump a 10-point boost over DeSantis, poll shows | The Independent
Last month, 53 per cent of Republican voters and Republican-leaning independents said they would vote for Mr Trump in the 2024 primary if it was held that day.

Following the raid, it found that number for Mr Trump had climbed to 57 per cent, while support for Mr DeSantis had dropped from 23 per cent down to 17 per cent.

No other Republican candidate had double-digit support.

Tulsi Gabbard Fills In For Host Tucker Carlson On Fox News | HuffPost Latest News - "Once a Democratic presidential hopeful, the former Hawaii representative is now filling the shoes of the right-wing pundit."
Gabbard came armed with a monologue, torching President Joe Biden, fear-mongering about the power of federal institutions and slamming the FBI raid on former President Donald Trump’s Florida home.

“Now, whatever your views are on Donald Trump,” she began, “there is no denying that the unprecedented raid on his Palm Beach home earlier this week has set our country on a dangerous new course, and there’s no turning back. The FBI’s raid on Mar-a-Lago changed the country we grew up in.”
Six months earlier, she spoke at a CPAC conference.
Gabbard echoed Carlson on Friday when she told viewers that federal law enforcement favors Democrats and even the IRS has been, in her words, “weaponized to target the political opponents of the uni-party, the permanent Washington and the Biden regime.”

She then went on to claim Attorney General Merrick Garland was using “tactics that are all hallmarks of a dictatorship,” while discussing the raid at Mar-a-Lago. Garland said Thursday that he “personally approved” the decision to seek a search warrant against Trump.

“Faithful adherence to the rule of law is the bedrock principle of the Justice Department and of our democracy,” Garland added. “Upholding the rule of law means applying the law evenly without fear or favor. Under my watch, that is precisely what the Justice Department is doing.”
I must say that I enjoy watching right-wingers call themselves victims. After acting as if there is no amount of police force that they object to, they object when it's their favorite people who suffer it.

About Ukraine,
“Despite their lectures and their crocodile tears, it’s never been about morality. It’s not about the people of Ukraine or protecting democracy,” she said of the U.S. response to the war in the country. Biden was facilitating “regime change in Russia,” Gabbard continued.

“To Joe Biden,” she added, “it’s even about bringing about a ‘new world order.’”
What a tankie she is, taking the side of anti-Western authoritarianism.

Liz Cheney Already Has a 2024 Strategy
But Cheney dropped a big hint when she noted that the GOP’s Founding Father, Abraham Lincoln, lost elections for the House and Senate “before he won the most important election of all” by capturing the presidency. This morning, she went a step further, telling the Today show that she was “thinking about” joining the 2024 Republican presidential race.

Noting
Liz Cheney Says She’s ‘Thinking’ About Running for President in 2024 - The New York Times
Representative Liz Cheney said early Wednesday that she was “thinking” about running for president in 2024, a prospect that would test the national viability of a conservative, anti-Trump platform that failed resoundingly in Wyoming.
Form 1 for The Great Task - a PAC that she founded
Its name refers to the Gettysburg Address, in which President Abraham Lincoln said that “the great task remaining before us” was to ensure “that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”
What will she do next?
Speaking to Savannah Guthrie on NBC’s “Today Show” on Wednesday, Ms. Cheney initially avoided the question of whether she had a 2024 campaign in mind. But after being pressed, she said, “It is something that I am thinking about, and I’ll make a decision in the coming months.”

“I think that defeating him is going to require a broad, united front of Republicans, Democrats and independents,” she said of Mr. Trump. Later — referring in particular to “the lies that he has put out in the last few days” about the F.B.I. search of Mar-a-Lago and to his demonization of federal law enforcement officials even as they face threats from his supporters — she added that she believed “millions of Republicans and Americans across this country” would reject his actions.

Noting
Liz Cheney’s Concession Speech Invokes Lincoln and Grant - The New York Times
It was just two years ago that Representative Liz Cheney won a primary with 73 percent of the vote — a point she reminded her supporters of in her concession speech on Tuesday night in Wyoming.

“I could easily have done the same again,” she said. “The path was clear. But it would have required that I go along with President Trump’s lie about the 2020 election. It would have required that I enable his ongoing efforts to unravel our democratic system and attack the foundations of our republic.”

“That was a path I could not and would not take.”
Even though she got purged from the House Republican leadership for taking that position.

Will she be running? Or will she support some Mitt Romney sort of Republican? Some Northeastern Republican governor?

Will she be running? Or will she support some Mitt Romney sort of Republican? Some Northeastern Republican governor?
I suspect Liz's comback will be around 2028.

To use an analogy, in Fight Club, Tyler Durden's Fight Club evolved into Project Mayhem. The GOP has evolved into the GQP or, to put it another way, the Party of Reagan has become the Party of Trump. And whereas never attack another Republican was Reagan's rule, the GQP has one rule; follow the current leader.

The word current is key. The GOP didn't morph into the GQP overnight. There was a chrysalis stage known as the Tea Party. Trump was never a driving force of the party, he was simply a sign that metamorphosis has reached completion. And the 21st Century GOP is insistent on devouring its past leaders.

Have a look at the post 2004 Presidential campaigns. In 2008 McCain did everything humanly possible to separate himself from the Bush Administration. Then Romney tried to disavow McCain. Then Trump did a gigantic shit over Romney and Ryan. The past prominent Republican leaders (Bush, Bush jnr, McCain, Romney, Ryan, Boehner, Darth Cheney) are all considered traitors by the current party faithful. The smart money says they are going to cannibalise Trump as well when the next white saviour makes an entrance (i.e. Ron).

So Liz Cheney? I'm guessing she's just going to wait for nature to take it's course. When it does and Trump's name will be as reviled as McCain/Romney etc, she'll emerge as a phoenix and say, "See? I was right about the RINO all along! Vote for me so we can abolish gay marriage!" or some such. I just think 2024 is too short a time frame for that to play out.

Contra Cheney, Lincoln never lost an election for the House, and the Senate election he lost was not at that time a direct vote of the people. Also, Lincoln was one of the founders of the Republican Party, not the founder.

Liz could be Pence's running mate. It'd be a relief to have a good old fashioned Republican ticket for a change. You know, the kind that just makes you want to take a shower. Not the kind that makes you go screaming in the night.
Right. Kinda reminding me of Barry Goldwater days. Always loved that surname.

Emma Vigeland on Twitter: "Growing increasingly convinced that we have a Scott Walker situation on our hands and this clown is gonna flame out earlier than we all expect once the 2024 primaries kick off." / Twitter
noting
The Recount on Twitter: "Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) escalates his ridiculous attacks on Dr. Fauci:
"Someone needs to grab that little elf and chuck him across the Potomac." (vid link)" / Twitter

Some of his culture warring.

Former Trump Allies Are Now Backing Liz Cheney As She Eyes 2024 Run, Including Billionaire Charles Koch
noting
The Koch network and other Trump allies are quietly backing his biggest GOP critic: Rep. Liz Cheney
  • Two PACs backing Liz Cheney hired i360, a data and technology company financed by billionaire Charles Koch, according to Federal Election Commission filings.
  • People close to Donald Trump told CNBC that the former president and his allies could try to get people to stop working with Cheney.
Cheney’s now considering running against Trump for president in 2024, she told NBC News, and has quietly put together a team of top GOP advisors to help her ensure he doesn’t ever get back in the White House.

“I believe that Donald Trump continues to pose a very grave threat and risk to our republic. And I think that defeating him is going to require a broad and united front of Republicans, Democrats and independents, and that’s what I intend to be a part of,” she said in an exclusive interview with Savannah Guthrie on NBC’s “TODAY” show last week.

So LC might get the oligarch vote.

Back
Top Bottom