• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump and neocons started War with Iran in order to win elections?

Senate passes resolution to limit Trump against Iran in bipartisan vote

A bipartisan Senate majority voted to pass a resolution Thursday limiting President Trump from ordering future strikes against Iran without first seeking Congress’s explicit permission, in a pointed rebuke of his administration’s resistance to involving the legislative branch in foreign policy decisions many fear could lead to all-out war.

Eight Republicans joined all Democrats in voting 55 to 45 for the measure from Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), which invokes the War Powers Act to block Trump from engaging in hostilities without consulting Congress except in cases where self-defense is required against a clear, imminent attack.

Trump is expected to veto the measure, which he warned Wednesday on Twitter would “show weakness” and “sends a very bad signal.”

Yup, that'll do it.

By the way, "Democracy Now" is a far-left-wing outfit that always takes sides against US and sides with shithole dictatorships like Iran, Venezuela, Gaza etc.

Iran taking down our drone was not an aggression?
Iran attacking Saudi oil facilities was not an act of aggression?
Iran-controlled militias attacking US forces in Iraq killing a Pentagon contractor was not an act of aggression?
Iran-controlled militias attacking US embassy in Baghdad was not an act of aggression?
Rewinding some 40 odd years ...
Iran occupying a US embassy and taking US citizens hostage was not an act of aggression?

As always, AOC is highly selective in her outrage!

If our CinC had balls of brass, we might have had a march to war. Instead we have a february to retreat, because the CinC doesn't.

The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.
And Stalin fought against Hitler, eventually. Doesn't make him the good guy.

This is just idiotic! The problem with Trump is that is way too doveish on Iran, not the opposite!

He should have retaliated when the weird beards shot those missiles at our bases, giving dozens of soldiers TBI. If anything the Congress should be urging more forceful action.

I'm not convinced that Trump is more knowledgeable and sophisticated in foreign policy than you, but it is comforting to know that he is less hot to rush into battle. No, wait. I take that back. It's still a very scary thought. The very last thing we need now is another major war. However, I'm sure that your sense of fiscal austerity is informed by the belief, rampant among Republicans and other conservatives, that wars are cheap and can be won very, very quickly with our superior military capability. Unlike all of the other wars in human history, this next one will actually be over as soon as those anxious to go to war think it will be over. :rolleyes:

By the way, "Democracy Now" is a far-left-wing outfit that always takes sides against US and sides with shithole dictatorships like Iran, Venezuela, Gaza etc.

Iran-controlled militias attacking US forces in Iraq killing a Pentagon contractor was not an act of aggression?
Iran-controlled militias attacking US embassy in Baghdad was not an act of aggression?
Iran occupying a US embassy and taking US citizens hostage was not an act of aggression?

As always, AOC is highly selective in her outrage!

If our CinC had balls of brass, we might have had a march to war. Instead we have a february to retreat, because the CinC doesn't.

The enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.
And Stalin fought against Hitler, eventually. Doesn't make him the good guy.

Well, we've been in a state of war with Iran for years. We support Saudi Arabia and give them arms. Our embargo is an act of war. We would not allow another country to coordinate another embargo against us.

Funny how Derec's history starts in 1979, and then also skips the next decade or so...when counting aggression....

This is just idiotic! The problem with Trump is that is way too doveish on Iran, not the opposite!
Committing an act of war by killing a top ranked Military official? Had Iran killed our Secretary of State, I doubt the US would have thought that "doveish".

He should have retaliated when the weird beards shot those missiles at our bases, giving dozens of soldiers TBI. If anything the Congress should be urging more forceful action.
Yeah, fire back, Iran sinks a couple ships in the Straits of Hormuz, and Derec gets his rage boner on.

Talk about acts of aggression

Personally, I'd say the US got more than 'even', after the year long Embassy hostage taking, with 50,000 dead Iranians, when we assisted Hussein's use of weapons of mass destruction.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/2...rove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/
In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq’s war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein’s military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_chemical_attacks_against_Iran#Casualties
In a declassified 1991 report, the CIA estimated that Iran had suffered more than 50,000 casualties from Iraq's use of several chemical weapons, though current estimates are more than 100,000, as the long-term effects continue to cause damage.

Committing an act of war by killing a top ranked Military official?
Again, they started the acts of war first.

Had Iran killed our Secretary of State, I doubt the US would have thought that "doveish".
Suleimani was not SecState. He was the head of a state-sponsored terrorist organization.

Yeah, fire back, Iran sinks a couple ships in the Straits of Hormuz, and Derec gets his rage boner on.
If they persist in their aggression, continue wrecking their shit. Until they cry "uncle".

Funny how Derec's history starts in 1979,
Well that's when the current illegitimate regime took over.

and then also skips the next decade or so...when counting aggression....
No, I am not skipping the 80s. I definitely count Iranian proxies bombing US and French peacekeepers in Beirut in 1983 as Iranian aggression. The taking of hostages in 1982 was Iranian aggression as well.

I'm not convinced that Trump is more knowledgeable and sophisticated in foreign policy than you, but it is comforting to know that he is less hot to rush into battle. No, wait. I take that back. It's still a very scary thought. The very last thing we need now is another major war.
Nobody wants a major war. But Iran is getting bolder and bolder just like Nazi Germany was during the 1930s. I think WWII could have been a lot shorter, and may not even have counted as a "world war" had Hitler been stopped when he started throwing his weight around in Europe.
The theocratic regime in Iran needs to be kept in check at the very least. Letting ballistic missile attacks on US troops go establishes a very bad precedent.

Unlike all of the other wars in human history, this next one will actually be over as soon as those anxious to go to war think it will be over. :rolleyes:
There have been very short wars in human history.

Funny how Derec's history starts in 1979,
Well that's when the current illegitimate regime took over.
LOL...I think you have said this silly thing before. Like the western installed Shah was legit. Like the Saudi Royal dictatorship is legit. The US doesn't give a flying fuck if a leader is legitimately selected to be the leader by their people, and never has.

and then also skips the next decade or so...when counting aggression....
No, I am not skipping the 80s. I definitely count Iranian proxies bombing US and French peacekeepers in Beirut in 1983 as Iranian aggression. The taking of hostages in 1982 was Iranian aggression as well.
Yeah, you are...ignoring the tens of thousands of Iranians butchered with US guidance, aiding Hussein's use of various poison gases....

Back
Top Bottom