• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump at the National Prayer Breakfast - he didn't love his enemies very much

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Trump slams Democrats and Romney at prayer breakfast as Pelosi looks on - CNNPolitics
"I don't like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong nor do I like people who say, 'I pray for you,' when they know that's not so. So many people have been hurt and we can't let that go on," Trump said.

"We have allies, we have enemies, sometimes the allies are enemies but we just don't know it. But we're changing all that," Trump later remarked.

Pelosi has previously said she prays for the President daily and Romney brought up his faith in a speech announcing his vote on impeachment. Later Thursday after the breakfast, Pelosi called Trump's remark about faith as justification for doing something wrong "completely inappropriate" and "particularly without class."

"This morning the President said when people use faith as an excuse to do ... bad things ... was just so completely inappropriate, especially at a prayer breakfast," Pelosi said at her weekly news conference.

"I don't know what the President understands about prayer or people who do pray, but we do pray for the United States of America," she said. "I pray hard for him because he's so off the track of the Constitution, our values, our country."

"He really needs our prayers, so he can say whatever he wants ... but I do pray for him and I do so sincerely and without anguish," Pelosi added.
Donald Trump, for all his self-proclaimed Xianity, did not exactly love his enemies: Mitt Romney and Nancy Pelosi. In fact, NP seems much closer to doing so than he does. But all the praying she has done for him seems to be a failure. He has not exactly collapsed onto the floor in guilt and shame and self-hatred.

Pelosi laces into Trump, defends tearing up his State of the Union speech - The Washington Post
Instead, the House speaker used her weekly news conference to launch into a fierce attack on Trump’s State of the Union address, his record on the economy and health care, his response to the months-long impeachment process and the swipes he leveled Thursday morning at the National Prayer Breakfast targeting the faith of his political enemies.

Speaking to reporters, Pelosi bristled at the remarks: “He’s talking about things that he knows little about, faith and prayer.”

She praised Romney — “God bless him for his courage” — and called Trump’s attacks on him “particularly without class,” then said her prayers for the president were genuine and needed.

“I pray hard for him because he’s so off the track of our Constitution, our values, our country, the air our children breathe, the water they drink and the rest,” she said. “He can say whatever he wants. But I do pray for him and I do so sincerely and without anguish.”
Trump later held a press conference where he bragged about his acquittal.
There, Trump called Pelosi “a horrible person” and continued questioning her sincerity: “She may pray, but she prays for the opposite. But I doubt she prays at all.”

From the article:

"They like people and sometimes they hate people. I'm sorry. I apologize. I'm trying to learn. It's not easy," Trump said, adding, "When they impeach you for nothing, then you're supposed to like them. It's not easy, folks. I do my best."

Well I guess we can add another "Nobody knows..." to the list. Nobody knows persecution better than Donald Trump. He is the most persecuted man in history.

Trump is a pretend Christian who totally lacks anything resembling a moral compass. What's even sadder is that he's been able to manipulate people who one time actually had something resembling a moral compass. No more! Now they just bow to their master Trump. If I still had the conservative Christian beliefs that I held as a child, I'd be calling Trump the anti-Christ. It amazes me how most of today's conservative Christians don't see that Trump is more like the anti-Christ than their savior.

Yes. The idea Trump is a Christian is laughable. The guy has no room in his head for worshiping anyone but himself. He is literally the embodiment of the Anti-Christ in the New Testament. And I don't hold it against him that he isn't Christian. I will however, hold it against evangelicals that bemoaned Clinton or Timberlake/Jackson's Half-Time Show giving full throated religious based support for Trump.

Joe: Trump mocked the words of Jesus Christ and he got away with it - video of Trump and Joe Scarborough

MSNBC’s Morning Joe rains hell on right-wing Christians for choosing Trump’s ‘blasphemy’ over Christ’s teachings – Raw Story
“You know, evangelicals, anybody that’s grown up in a church, evangelical church, Catholic church, Christian church, understands the blasphemy there — they really do,” Scarborough said. “You had Donald Trump, first of all, saying, ‘I don’t agree with you, Arthur (Brooks). Well, it wasn’t Arthur he was disagreeing with, it was the words of Jesus Christ he was disagreeing with.”

“This is a man that has said he’s never had to ask Jesus Christ for forgiveness before,” Scarborough added. “This is a man who never read the Bible his entire life. He handed me a Bible one time in early fall of 2015 his mother gave him. It’s obvious it hadn’t been opened for 40 years. He talked about 2 Corinthians, couldn’t name a single book in the Bible. He couldn’t tell you the difference between the New and Old Testament, and yesterday he mocked the words of Jesus Christ.”
JS then slammed the evangelical leaders present for not criticizing Trump for dismissing Jesus Christ's teaching that one ought to love one's enemies.

Y'all keep forgetting -

GOD WORKS IN STRANGE WAYS -
LOOK AT ALL THOSE PRO LIFE JUDGES!!!

I've never seen a satirical take on what Trump says when he prays....perhaps because you'd have to be nuts to suppose that he has a 'prayer life'. Why pray when you sincerely believe there is no being greater than you? (Now, I don't pray, but I'm an atheist, not someone pretending to be religious and having my head anointed by evangelical googamoogas.) Also, it would be so obvious as to be completely tired and hacky -- you'd have to have T praising God for his Beautiful Orange Creation...

I looked for the complete context of "love your enemies", and I found this (Matt 5, RSV):
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40 and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; 41 and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Looking at the context, "love your enemies" is alongside similar teachings, that you should turn the other cheek, let a thief steal some more from you, and let an occupying-army soldier make you carry his stuff further.

I think that that teaching is excessive, though it goes in the opposite direction from what is all too common.

"I don't like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong nor do I like people who say, 'I pray for you,' when they know that's not so.
Trump seems to think that the entire point of prayer is asking for someone's success.
Doesn't consider she might be praying that he not destroy the country or the treasury, or find out about the Aliens.

"I don't like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong nor do I like people who say, 'I pray for you,' when they know that's not so.
Trump seems to think that the entire point of prayer is asking for someone's success.
Doesn't consider she might be praying that he not destroy the country or the treasury, or find out about the Aliens.
That quote of his was extremely disturbing. And it wasn't something he came up with. Some soulless speech writer or senior staffer came up with that. That the White House is going in that direction is worrisome.

That quote of his was extremely disturbing. And it wasn't something he came up with. Some soulless speech writer or senior staffer came up with that. That the White House is going in that direction is worrisome.

Trump has always been merely a distraction that allows the right wing to accomplish its dismantling of the social network and environmental protections and other right wing and racist parts of its agenda because the press is busy reporting on the flaming turd on the porch, and not the house on fire across the street.

I've never seen a satirical take on what Trump says when he prays....
Probably for the same reason you never saw SNL doing a parody of Dukes of Hazard. Nothing there to lampoon without it just looking like more of the same.

IFF Trump prays, his prayers are pretty straightforward, non-abstract, and immediate.
Impeachment prayer: Please, don't let this impeachment fuck me.
Trump Foundation Prayer: Please, don't let this lawsuit fuck me.
Trump University Prayer: Please, don't let this lawsuit fuck me.
Trump Divorce Prayer: Please, don't let this lawsuit fuck me.

He THINKS that if Pelosi is prayingfor him, she is also saying, Please, don't let this impeachment fuck Trump.

Something occurred to me about Trump's dismissive attitude toward Mitt Romney and Nancy Pelosi.

Something that he could have said. He could have compared Mitt Romney and Nancy Pelosi to Pharisees and quoted Jesus Christ's Pharisee-bashing.

But he didn't.

Something occurred to me about Trump's dismissive attitude toward Mitt Romney and Nancy Pelosi.

Something that he could have said. He could have compared Mitt Romney and Nancy Pelosi to Pharisees and quoted Jesus Christ's Pharisee-bashing.

But he didn't.

He wouldn't have any idea of what you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom