• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump campaign still owes El Paso more than $500,000 on eve of President's return visit

AirPoh

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Thoughts and prayers and a check????

(CNN)President Donald Trump will travel to El Paso, Texas, on Wednesday to offer his condolences and support to survivors, first responders and local officials in the wake of a mass shooting at a Walmart that left 22 dead. But he'll arrive with a $500,000 debt to the border city from his last visit.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/politics/trump-campaign-el-paso-debt/index.html
As a note, it reads "Trump Campaign"... as in for the 2020 election. His campaign event was well over 1.5 yrs before the election. Of course, Trump's campaign owes municipalities money everywhere, much like Trump owed contractors a lot of money he just refused to pay.

Thoughts and prayers and a check????

(CNN)President Donald Trump will travel to El Paso, Texas, on Wednesday to offer his condolences and support to survivors, first responders and local officials in the wake of a mass shooting at a Walmart that left 22 dead. But he'll arrive with a $500,000 debt to the border city from his last visit.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/06/politics/trump-campaign-el-paso-debt/index.html
As a note, it reads "Trump Campaign"... as in for the 2020 election. His campaign event was well over 1.5 yrs before the election. Of course, Trump's campaign owes municipalities money everywhere, much like Trump owed contractors a lot of money he just refused to pay.

Nope, rally from this year.

Trump traveled to El Paso in mid-February of this year for his first political rally of 2019, where he made his case for a border wall before a friendly crowd of supporters at the County Coliseum following the 35-day government shutdown. Like most presidential campaign travel, the trip incurred a variety of police and public safety-related costs billed to the Trump campaign by the municipal government.

How is that even possible? Exactly what sort of moron would not have Trump pay beforehand? It's not like this is some sort of unexpected result.

Nope, rally from this year.

Trump traveled to El Paso in mid-February of this year for his first political rally of 2019, where he made his case for a border wall before a friendly crowd of supporters at the County Coliseum following the 35-day government shutdown. Like most presidential campaign travel, the trip incurred a variety of police and public safety-related costs billed to the Trump campaign by the municipal government.
The campaign event in February was well over 18 months (1.5 years) before the 2020 election.

Must we be so thirsty to have our psychological needs satiated with presidential presence during such small scale national tragedies? By small scale, I certainly do not mean unimportant, but a mass shooting is no 9-11, and it’s no military invasion. Its ashamed that the president with all the power at his disposal must repeatedly dance to the psychological needs of the nation he’s sworn to serve.

Presidential arrival disrupts entire cities, and with an alternative campaigning agenda or not, it’s costly. But that aside, what I want is for the president to do what he deems to be in the best interest of The Unites States (costs or no costs) without there being a barrier in the form of a national sentiment hurdle that forces decisions designed to maintain image or satisfy emotionally based expectations.

We didn’t elect him to cater to anyone’s feelings or to put on a show of professionalism and public acquiescence. He was elected to put us first. The problem is that there’s such a growing number of us that wants him to placate. I don’t care who he pisses off or why—or how. Even the moral concerns can take a sabbatical. If he has to act in such ways that it will look as if he’s undermining our very own democracy, then so be it—so long as in the end, he saves the last dance for us.

Legal, illegal, right, or not so much, that (and especially in a corroding democracy) may not justify the ends, but we need a leader that can patch the ships holes so we can stay afloat long enough for the next generation to make lawful and right decisions that hopefully will not cause more holes to form.

$500,000. How many other cities are hopeful for a mass shooting? Yeah, it’s just to compensate for the extra costs that otherwise wouldn’t have been. The look on the faces of those reaping the rewards tell another story. It reminds me of all those willing to pull the plug. They’ll even shed tears while careful not to rub the newly printed ink off their insurance checks.

So, do you want him to show up or not? If yes, or if no, remember he’s here to serve our national interests, not abide by our wants. Expectations—the one thing that forms our self-serving ideologies.

Must we be so thirsty to have our psychological needs satiated with presidential presence during such small scale national tragedies? By small scale, I certainly do not mean unimportant, but a mass shooting is no 9-11, and it’s no military invasion. Its ashamed that the president with all the power at his disposal must repeatedly dance to the psychological needs of the nation he’s sworn to serve.
OP is about Presidential Campaigner Trump stiffing El Paso on a security for his event bill back in February.

Presidential arrival disrupts entire cities, and with an alternative campaigning agenda or not, it’s costly. But that aside, what I want is for the president to do what he deems to be in the best interest of The Unites States (costs or no costs) without there being a barrier in the form of a national sentiment hurdle that forces decisions designed to maintain image or satisfy emotionally based expectations.
He was in El Paso for a campaign event, not being the President.

$500,000. How many other cities are hopeful for a mass shooting? Yeah, it’s just to compensate for the extra costs that otherwise wouldn’t have been. The look on the faces of those reaping the rewards tell another story. It reminds me of all those willing to pull the plug. They’ll even shed tears while careful not to rub the newly printed ink off their insurance checks.

So, do you want him to show up or not? If yes, or if no, remember he’s here to serve our national interests, not abide by our wants. Expectations—the one thing that forms our self-serving ideologies.
All I want is for right-wingers to read the fucking OP.

We didn’t elect him to cater to anyone’s feelings or to put on a show of professionalism and public acquiescence. He was elected to put us first. The problem is that there’s such a growing number of us that wants him to placate. I don’t care who he pisses off or why—or how. Even the moral concerns can take a sabbatical. If he has to act in such ways that it will look as if he’s undermining our very own democracy, then so be it—so long as in the end, he saves the last dance for us.

Legal, illegal, right, or not so much, that (and especially in a corroding democracy) may not justify the ends, but we need a leader that can patch the ships holes so we can stay afloat long enough for the next generation to make lawful and right decisions that hopefully will not cause more holes to form.

Catering to their feelings is exactly Trump supporters elected him.

Has it occurred to you that the President showing up to such a tragedy is both an act of common decency and compassion, and is chance to show some potential leadership - all of which are in the best interests of the nation? Now, if your real point is that it is laughable to think that this President is capable of an act of common decency and compassion or showing real leadership, then I apologize for misreading your post.

Has it occurred to you that the President showing up to such a tragedy is both an act of common decency and compassion, and is chance to show some potential leadership - all of which are in the best interests of the nation?

Yes, it has occured to me, but I want it to be genuine and not a product of appeasing the masses with their distorted sense that he’s failed in some way because he has not done what they EXPECT. I want real nuts and bolts kind of change—not moments of feeling good because someone acted respectfully.

There’s only so many minutes in eight years. That he has to use any of those minutes to ensure he gets the second half of those minutes is because people can’t keep their expectations in check. Common decency, compassion, leadership ... fuck that. We’ve had humpteen goes from past presidents with that bullshit. It’s high time for a damn near sociopath to grab ahold of the helm. When a past foreign agreement puts more benefit towards the other party, we need someone to run that agreement the fuck over—with no tip for any bitch at this feast.

We need our own damn Tet offensive to undo the disadvantaged position the commonly decent, compassionate past leaders have put us in. I don’t want a coach that inspires teamwork. Leave that nonsense for future presidents. Maybe they can inspire some hope. Right now, we have an actual chance to get something done—and there’s plenty of latitude on my part—including but not limited to not negatively judging him for showing up or not showing up in the wake of a mass shooting—and that’s whether some bill has gone unpaid or not.

Has it occurred to you that the President showing up to such a tragedy is both an act of common decency and compassion, and is chance to show some potential leadership - all of which are in the best interests of the nation?

Yes, it has occured to me, but I want it to be genuine and not a product of appeasing the masses with their distorted sense that he’s failed in some way because he has not done what they EXPECT. I want real nuts and bolts kind of change—not moments of feeling good because someone acted respectfully.

There’s only so many minutes in eight years. That he has to use any of those minutes to ensure he gets the second half of those minutes is because people can’t keep their expectations in check. Common decency, compassion, leadership ... fuck that. We’ve had humpteen goes from past presidents with that bullshit. It’s high time for a damn near sociopath to grab ahold of the helm. When a past foreign agreement puts more benefit towards the other party, we need someone to run that agreement the fuck over—with no tip for any bitch at this feast.

We need our own damn Tet offensive to undo the disadvantaged position the commonly decent, compassionate past leaders have put us in. I don’t want a coach that inspires teamwork. Leave that nonsense for future presidents. Maybe they can inspire some hope. Right now, we have an actual chance to get something done—and there’s plenty of latitude on my part—including but not limited to not negatively judging him for showing up or not showing up in the wake of a mass shooting—and that’s whether some bill has gone unpaid or not.
Trump's campaign owes about 10 cities a combined $~850,000 for security.

And honestly, what is Trump going to do. He doesn't do breakthroughs, except when it comes to jacking off the North Korean dictator. He broke all sorts of barriers there.

Trump has a long history of being a grifter. And, he's now the grifter in chief. I don't understand how anyone can defend this corrupt, incompetent man, but then I guess many people have been fooled and manipulated by grifters in the past, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Trump has a long history of being a grifter. And, he's now the grifter in chief. I don't understand how anyone can defend this corrupt, incompetent man, but then I guess many people have been fooled and manipulated by grifters in the past, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.
. .
??? said:
You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time ...

Well, we have a "damn near sociopath" at the helm who appears not capable of showing human decency, compassion, and real leadership, and look where we are.

As far as the rest of your tirade,
1) it does not take much to show human decency and compassion - it is part of the job of a real leader because it helps to inspire those who are led, and
2) I have no idea what past foreign agreement(s) you are talking about and I strongly suspect neither do you, but even if it exists, it is completely irrelevant to this topic.

Has it occurred to you that the President showing up to such a tragedy is both an act of common decency and compassion, and is chance to show some potential leadership - all of which are in the best interests of the nation? Now, if your real point is that it is laughable to think that this President is capable of an act of common decency and compassion or showing real leadership, then I apologize for misreading your post.

Oh sure, it definitely occurs to me that two things can happen at the same time... What I am absolutely shocked about here is that YOU are claiming that understanding, while at the same time using whataboutism arguments and claims of mutual exclusivity all over this forum across many topics.

I have heard more than a couple Trumpistas say, 'That's just the way he is,' which means they excuse everything our Royal Warthog does -- but nearly always, they're referring to his name-calling and nothing more. They're fine with all the rest and they buy his line that everyone else is lying, not him. Utterly strange.

Back
Top Bottom