• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Foundation Folding

Why would this be the case:

The dissolution of President Donald Trump's charity resolves one element of the attorney general's civil lawsuit against the foundation, which includes claims that the President and his children violated campaign finance laws and abused its tax-exempt status.

Dissolving a fake charity because it was used for illegal purposes shouldn't resolve legal claims against the people running the fake charity who used it for that purpose.

Won't someone think about how this will affect Donald Trump and his poor little children?! They need help. The Trump Foundation did such a good job of taking other people's money and stamping the Trump name on it.

Dissolving a fake charity because it was used for illegal purposes shouldn't resolve legal claims against the people running the fake charity who used it for that purpose.
It doesn't.
It says that's one of the three things the lawsuit was asking for.
1. Close the charity
2. pay back oodles
3. Trump and posse never get to operate piggy banks ever again (within the jurisdiction of this court, anyway)

One down, two to go.

This is apart from any violations of the law, which would not be part of the civil lawsuit.

It doesn't.
It says that's one of the three things the lawsuit was asking for.
1. Close the charity
2. pay back oodles
3. Trump and posse never get to operate piggy banks ever again (within the jurisdiction of this court, anyway)

One down, two to go.

This is apart from any violations of the law, which would not be part of the civil lawsuit.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

That seemed like a weird thing to me and I assumed there had to be more that I was missing.

But it was supposed to be HER foundation!

At least now we can look forward to "Foundation? What foundation? I don't have any foundation! There is no foundation! Look at Hillary's foundation - millions and million in foreign bribes! I have no foundation. It's a witch hunt!
And - no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion!"

Say it aint so. I had my check made out!!!
The detail I loved was that, in dissolving the foundation, they pledged to sell off their 3 (THREE!) tangible assets: an autographed football helmet (sorry, I'm unsportsy and forgot the endorser) and 2 (TWO!!) oil portraits of His Trumpness. You can't make this shit up.

Say it aint so. I had my check made out!!!
The detail I loved was that, in dissolving the foundation, they pledged to sell off their 3 (THREE!) tangible assets: an autographed football helmet (sorry, I'm unsportsy and forgot the endorser) and 2 (TWO!!) oil portraits of His Trumpness. You can't make this shit up.
If I was Fathead, I'd get one of those paintings and start selling Trump Urinal decals.

At least now we can look forward to "Foundation? What foundation? I don't have any foundation! There is no foundation! Look at Hillary's foundation - millions and million in foreign bribes! I have no foundation. It's a witch hunt!
And - no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion no collusion!"
If the judge really wants to be snarky and make a point, we could give at least some of the money to the Clinton foundation, a charity with an 'A' rating last I looked. :D

If the judge really wants to be snarky and make a point, we could give at least some of the money to the Clinton foundation, a charity with an 'A' rating last I looked. :D
OR, ask someone from the Clinton foundation to oversee dissolving the Trump Foundation...

For Trump, this charity was like opening up a bank account into which people could deposit tax-free bribes. The beauty of it was that he didn't need to report it as personal income. I wonder if he really believed that the Clintons were using their foundation as a slush fund, too. Crooks tend to justify their illegal behavior as no different from what other smart people do. Anyway, he had a lot of fun bashing Hillary Clinton over using her charity as a slush fund, and he managed to make the charge stick with a lot of people who were not even his supporters. I know liberal Democrats who joined in the smear campaign spearheaded by the Russians and American Trumpistanians. Trump himself could get away with it, because he was just being a "smart businessman" who knew how the system worked. Clinton, being a politician, needed to be held to a higher standard, even if there was no actual evidence of wrongdoing.

For Trump, this charity was like opening up a bank account into which people could deposit tax-free bribes.
As far as I can tell, that isn't it. Trump's issue was that he was using the Fndn to make it look like he was charitable to increase his personal persona. I've read stories about him showing up to charity galas, getting his face in group pictures as if he donated at all. There is a wing of a hospital named after a Trump that was paid for by donations other people made at Trump hotels when signing off on their bill. The Trumps put some money into their own Fndn and made a few donations, but then pretty much just would take money in from other people, like the McMahons and use it to project Trump charity at best, not the McMahons.

Then Trump ended up using the Fndn to pay off court settlements, and even political campaigns, like the Attorney General in Florida (Pam Bondi)... who oddly enough stopped investigating the Trump University thing. So while that last one was a bribe, I believe he generally used his Fndn as a PR stunt, but stopped actually contributing to and used it for self promotion or lawsuit payoffs... which I'm pretty is why Linda McMahon has John Cena on standby to go kick Trump's ass when it is confirmed that McMahon money was used to pay off a stupid lawsuit over a fucking flag.

For Trump, this charity was like opening up a bank account into which people could deposit tax-free bribes.

As far as I can tell, that isn't it. Trump's issue was that he was using the Fndn to make it look like he was charitable to increase his personal persona. I've read stories about him showing up to charity galas, getting his face in group pictures as if he donated at all. There is a wing of a hospital named after a Trump that was paid for by donations other people made at Trump hotels when signing off on their bill. The Trumps put some money into their own Fndn and made a few donations, but then pretty much just would take money in from other people, like the McMahons and use it to project Trump charity at best, not the McMahons.

Then Trump ended up using the Fndn to pay off court settlements, and even political campaigns, like the Attorney General in Florida (Pam Bondi)... who oddly enough stopped investigating the Trump University thing. So while that last one was a bribe, I believe he generally used his Fndn as a PR stunt, but stopped actually contributing to and used it for self promotion or lawsuit payoffs... which I'm pretty is why Linda McMahon has John Cena on standby to go kick Trump's ass when it is confirmed that McMahon money was used to pay off a stupid lawsuit over a fucking flag.

Promoting himself is one of the things Trump likes to do with money, so I think that you are being way too charitable to Trump. I'm not sure why you said "that isn't it". Do you actually believe that he did not see the money donated to that charity as being of direct benefit to him? I would be surprised if he didn't do a few favors for large donors, just as he accused Hillary Clinton of doing. Trump is usually very candid about how he spends money for corrupt purposes. He even bragged about it during the Republican primaries--how he expected something in return for the money he donated to politicians. He used that as a selling point to MAGAts--that he knew the system well enough to know what needed fixing. He also knew how to use a charity.

Back
Top Bottom