• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Pardons criminals

Which of Clinton or Obama's pardons was for the crime of trying to sell a Senate seat via a conspiracy to solicit bribes?
I think a better question, how many pardons of Obama's were issued when a close friend was facing a hard decision?
If Stone gets 9 years, and doesn't want to do 9 years, he might roll over on Trump. So Trump is waving the pardon flag fast and furious.
Any of Obama's pardons seem likely to be a message to a confidante or friend in similar scandal?

It's a shame and a pity that Obama missed his chance to pardon his friends, cohorts and partners in crime. If only he had had friends and associates who committed felonies, or had co-conspirators he could have pardoned for participating in the felonies he committed. Or even a pal who commited a misdemeanor by violating a court order to stop engaging in illegal racist acts under the guise of "law enforcement".
Such a shame, so much opportunity lost!

Such a shame, so much opportunity lost!
Certainly, since he was such a Muslim, he could have found someone guilty of doing something that's illegal here, but not by Sharia law, and pardoned them AND given them a Medal of Freedom. Maybe even some Taliban-acting Christain! Imagine that. "If you were Muslim, and this was a Muslim country, you wouldn't be in jail right now. Want a pardon, or would you rather rot in the jail of a god-fearing system?"

So by "Drain the swamp", Trump actually meant release more leeches and venomous reptiles into the swamp.

It's understandable. After all, he wants to strongly reinforce the precedent that white-collar criminals like himself should never go to jail in the first place, and any sentence for those who do is "too harsh".

So, for years his supporters have claimed that it isn't Trump's extreme misogyny and support for white supremacy and racist xenophobia that they like, but rather that he's an "outsider" who will "shake things up" and "end political corruption". I wonder what excuse they will turn to now to hide the fact that bigotry is the ground on which Trump's base is built.

Roger Stone's sentencing is this week. If Stone talked, Twitler and Twitler Jr would probably be implicated. So, he doesn't want Stone to make a deal. He wants him to hold out for a potential pardon.

So by "Drain the swamp", Trump actually meant release more leeches and venomous reptiles into the swamp.

No, no. By 'swamp' Trump means the federal prison system, which he is now draining starting with the most 'worthy'. (donors and sycophants)

Which of Clinton or Obama's pardons was for the crime of trying to sell a Senate seat via a conspiracy to solicit bribes?
I mean sure - wire fraud, tax fraud violating court orders for business practices etc. - but selling a Senate seat? I don't remember that.

I don't either. I did not say crimes were identical, just that pardons/commutations for 'white collar criminals' (phrase used in the OP) are very common.
But you are burying the lede here: Blago is a Democrat.

It doesn't matter that Blago was a Democrat, Trump used to be a Democrat as well. For Trump it is all about the cronyism, corruption, and ass kissing. Blago was on Trump's show, is corrupt as hell, and his wife has been kissing Trump's ass for years trying to get him pardoned, so he wins the pardon trifecta. These pardons are also just the warmup for Stone, and everyone knows it because Trump's thought process is that transparent.

I mean sure - wire fraud, tax fraud violating court orders for business practices etc. - but selling a Senate seat? I don't remember that.

I don't either. I did not say crimes were identical, just that pardons/commutations for 'white collar criminals' (phrase used in the OP) are very common.

And murder and jaywalking are both "violations of the law", but that has no relevance to a discussion about the ethics of either and any attempt to treat them as though they are similar is grossly dishonest.

But you are burying the lede here: Blago is a Democrat.

That isn't the lead. Democrats overwhelmingly renounced Blago and want him to still be in prison. In contrast, Trump supporters claim that they are opposed to political corruption and want to "Drain the Swamp", yet will continue to rabidly defend Trump as he proves he supports the most corrupt and unethical politicians there are and shows that he doesn't think white collar crime and political corruption should be seriously punished. It shows that, despite the moronic delusions of his followers, Trump is firmly part of the wealthy elite who thinks the rich should be above the law. It exposes that Trump supporters don't actual care about political corruption and just use that as cover for the real reasons they love Trump, his misogyny, racism, xenophobia, and general hateful bigotry.

The real issue here in my view is that apparently none of these pardons went through the normal process of being vetted through the DOJ. That is the truly telling part.

The real issue here in my view is that apparently none of these pardons went through the normal process of being vetted through the DOJ. That is the truly telling part.
What would the point be?
He says, "Imma pardon this guy. He's cool."
They say, "Yeah, sure, he's cool"
He does the Pardon thing.
Done deal.

OR
He says, "Imma pardon this guy, He's cool."
They say, "You really shouldn't. Because reasons."
He says, "But i wanna. Barr! Tell them i really wanna pardon this guy."
Barr says, "Hey, he's gonna."
He does the Pardon thing.
Done deal.

I wonder if Trump should pardon Zimmerman?
He's in the news again, suing Warren, Buttigieg, for $265 million, for 'defamation of character,' in that they tweeted on Marton's birthday. Neither one mentioned Zimmerman, but he KNOWS they're talking shit about him...

...to drum up black votes.

...so he sues them, which would make black voters even more sympathetic to either one. And white voters. And Hispanics. Anyone who's tired of Zimmerman, i would guess.

So, yeah, seems like just the sort of person Trump would pardon. And since he shortcuts through the DOJ vetting, no one will say, "But sire, he was acquitted!" He'll just go ahead and do it, and Zimmerman's probably dumb enough to accept it.

Back
Top Bottom