• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump threatens to keep government shutdown for months or maybe years!

because they would pass again - and he has to keep sucking Trump's dick, for some reason.
Right now, if he keeps his head down, the headlines are blaming either Trump of the Dems.
This is a brilliant observation. It is incredible how Cocaine Mitch has been able to get away with such obvious obstruction for so long, and keep it from sticking to him... must be why he is called Cocaine Mitch.

- - - Updated - - -

... Their vote on ending the shutdown WILL be on record, and it WILL be brought back to haunt them, either by fucking the nation over, or betraying The Donald. So he's praying no one forces his hand.

I think what McConnell actually said was "you don't learn anything from the 2nd kick of the mule."
Oddly, he hasn't even kicked Trump once.

The longer the government is "shut down" the more people will see it as not being the big emergency it was made out to be, and people will stop caring if they keep it "shut down".

The longer the government is "shut down" the more people will see it as not being the big emergency it was made out to be, and people will stop caring if they keep it "shut down".

Until they want to hop on an airplane. Ability to strike or not, you can't just expect people to continue to work without pay because people like to eat food and heat their homes and stuff. 78% of people live paycheck to paycheck.

Air traffic controllers union sues Trump administration over frozen pay during shutdown

I'd like to ask Who would be dumb enough to bet against that? But the answer is about 30% of the fucking electorate....

My question would be why the gambling site thought that was a good place for the line. He was clearly going to lie far more than that in a ten minute speech about a subject where he's done nothing except tell lies. That site deserved to lose a lot of money because of this bad decision.

It reminds me of this one time back in the 90s, there was a gambling place here in Toronto which was taking bets on a soccer match in Italy. However, they were basing it off of the local radio broadcast of the game when the actual game had ended several hours earlier, so a bunch of people went and emptied out their bank accounts and bet on what they knew was the final score. Donald Trump telling a minimum of four lies about the wall was as sure a bet as that one.

No, I don' think that is the case. Aside from the problem of TSA workers starting to call in sick, there are small businesses that can't get loans, farmers aren't getting their subsidies, food stamp recipients may not get their benefit past the end of the month, ( this may not happen as they are trying to work around it ) and tax refunds might be held up. Even if some of the SNAP benefits and tax refunds are given out, the workers in these programs aren't being paid. These workers are getting a lot of publicity. Many of them are living paycheck to paycheck, so anyone who is paying any attention isn't simply going to forget about this.

Then there's the matter of the FDA not inspecting food until the gov opens back up, and the national parks are closed. This is far bigger and far more complicated than you seem to think.

Oh wait. I forgot about low income older adults in subsidized housing who will lose their subsidies. And federal contractors won't get paid now and they won't get back pay when this is over. People aren't going to forget about this. The longer it goes one, the more people it will affect.

I checked out and I found this: A Gambling Site Took Bets On How Much Trump Would Lie In His Oval Office Address And Is Paying Out $276,424
Bookmaker.eu asked people to wager on the president's truthfulness, offering odds of -145 for more than 3.5 lies and +115 for less than 3.5 lies. That means if a person bet $145 dollars that Trump would lie at least four times, they would win $100.

And some people won big. Odds consultant John Lester told BuzzFeed News the site will lose $276,424, with 92% of its bettors correctly wagering that Trump would lie a lot.

"It's a bad day for Truthiness and Bookmaker," he said. "We knew we were in trouble early with this one."
The site used the Washington Post's fact checker. The Post's liveblogger found 6 lies in Trump's statements in his national address.
The maximum online wager was set at $2,000, but Lester said a few of the site's clients bet more upon request. The biggest bets of the night rang in at $25,000, $20,000, and $15,000 — all in favor of Trump telling more lies.

No, I don' think that is the case. Aside from the problem of TSA workers starting to call in sick, there are small businesses that can't get loans, farmers aren't getting their subsidies, food stamp recipients may not get their benefit past the end of the month, ( this may not happen as they are trying to work around it ) and tax refunds might be held up. Even if some of the SNAP benefits and tax refunds are given out, the workers in these programs aren't being paid. These workers are getting a lot of publicity. Many of them are living paycheck to paycheck, so anyone who is paying any attention isn't simply going to forget about this.

Then there's the matter of the FDA not inspecting food until the gov opens back up, and the national parks are closed. This is far bigger and far more complicated than you seem to think.

Oh wait. I forgot about low income older adults in subsidized housing who will lose their subsidies. And federal contractors won't get paid now and they won't get back pay when this is over. People aren't going to forget about this. The longer it goes one, the more people it will affect.

Ya, the reason it's not all that big a deal right now is because it's only been a couple of weeks and the only people affected are the less than 1% of the country who either lost their jobs or weren't getting paid. As it drags on, the effects cascade and more and more people begin to become impacted. Landlords can't afford thousands of people not paying their rent and banks can't afford thousands of people not paying their mortgages. All the ancillary businesses funded by these workers are going to start losing customers who are now dipping into their savings or using credit cards for basic expenses and have no discretionary income. Thousands of cancelled conferences and meetings impacts the hotel and prostitution industries.

Most of the affected programs have not yet run out of money. Over the next several weeks, that will change. There is a lot of potential pain coming if this drags on.

Only in the sense that our credit rating is again starting to come up to the rating agencies. The US needs to up the debt ceiling... again. And America's inability to function is going to have a cost. So take that with the likelihood that Chinese Tariffs are coming up again because China isn't negotiating with a guy that is likely not to be in power much longer... and the falling stock market due to said tariffs, and the ensuing slow down in the economy caused by 800,000 temporarily unpayed workers... this shit gets more real each week.

Well, Miami doesn't have enough TSA personnel to keep all their lines open, but, i mean, really, how many people go thru Miami airport on a given day?

The record has been broken. I'm impressed. I actually am.

Trump's desire to get his way is overcoming his desire for good ratings.
Pelosi's desire to oppose Trump is overcoming her desire to reopen government.

Therefore it is a standoff.

The biggest danger of the standoff, from Pelosi's point of view, is that people might learn to get along without the closed agencies.

The biggest danger of the standoff, from Pelosi's point of view, is that people might learn to get along without the closed agencies.

I disagree. It should be labeled the McConnell Trump shut down. The dems have offered alternatives and many intermediate bills the turtle McDonnell will not call a vote on.

I disagree. It should be labeled the McConnell Trump shut down. The dems have offered alternatives and many intermediate bills the turtle McConnell will not call a vote on.
Just because McConnell refuses to put it up the same bill that Pelosi put up for a vote and passed to fund the Government in no way makes McConnell culpable in a political shutdown... assuming you ignore McConnell led the Senate in December of this very bill to passage in a unanimous voice vote. At that point, the political nature of this GOP shutdown is so obvious, even a Caveman... or Libertarian... can see it.

I disagree. It should be labeled the McConnell Trump shut down. The dems have offered alternatives and many intermediate bills the turtle McDonnell will not call a vote on.

I didn't label who this shutdown gets name after. I simply pointed out the factors that sway Trump's decision and the factors that sway Pelosi's decision, and what makes each of them stand firm against the other.

There are dangers from Trump's point of view. From Pelosi's point of view the biggest danger is that people might learn to get along without the closed agencies. Remember, her position is that she actually believes in government, actually believes it is a source of good, and the longer it gets shut down the more likely people might be able to get along without her good.

Back
Top Bottom