• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump Wants to Abolish 9th Circuit

Opoponax

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Apathetic Atheist
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ers-sanctuary-cities-muslim-ban-a7704501.html

Donald Trump is reportedly considering disbanding the US ninth circuit of appeals after court judges blocked two of his executive orders.

Mr Trump said he was "absolutely" considering proposals to breakup the "outrageous" court.

"Absolutely, I have," Mr Trump told the Washington Examiner of considering breakup proposals. "There are many people that want to break up the 9th Circuit. It's outrageous."

"Everybody immediately runs to the 9th Circuit. And we have a big country. We have lots of other locations. But they immediately run to the 9th Circuit. Because they know that's like, semi-automatic."

This is another one of those moments where it feels like the ground beneath your feet is beginning to quake. A kind of warning that the Big One is on the way.

Can it happen? Absolutely.

Will it happen? Probably not, but it can't be ruled out. And that's what's so scary. We've seen just how flimsy the American character has become. Say what you will about the U.S., but its founding documents aspired to the very highest ideals and we're taught as kids (or even indoctrinated if you like) about free speech, assembly, press, and how fortunate we are because of it. But its like Trump and the fools who voted for him never heard of such things.

We're taught early on about the basics of checks and balances within our federal system of government. Again, neither Orange Ape nor his supporters seem to have heard of the concept. Not only that, they seem to despise what little they do know of it.

On another note, I've often wondered about the benefits of the so called benevolent dictator, which I understand to be a leader with absolute power, but who acts always for the good of the people he/she would rule over. Of course, Trump is not that. He's a tinpot fuckstick who'd be more at home wearing a fake military costume in a third world backwater. Except this orange tinpot fuckstick has half of America on his side.

How did this happen? I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what others think.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ers-sanctuary-cities-muslim-ban-a7704501.html

Donald Trump is reportedly considering disbanding the US ninth circuit of appeals after court judges blocked two of his executive orders.

Mr Trump said he was "absolutely" considering proposals to breakup the "outrageous" court.

"Absolutely, I have," Mr Trump told the Washington Examiner of considering breakup proposals. "There are many people that want to break up the 9th Circuit. It's outrageous."

"Everybody immediately runs to the 9th Circuit. And we have a big country. We have lots of other locations. But they immediately run to the 9th Circuit. Because they know that's like, semi-automatic."

This is another one of those moments where it feels like the ground beneath your feet is beginning to quake. A kind of warning that the Big One is on the way.

Will it happen? Probably not, but it can't be ruled out. And that's what's so scary. We've seen just how flimsy the American character has become. Say what you will about the U.S., but its founding documents aspired to the very highest ideals and we're taught as kids (or even indoctrinated if you like) about free speech, assembly, press, and how fortunate we are because of it. But its like Trump and the fools who voted for him never heard of such things.

We're taught early on about the basics of checks and balances within our federal system of government. Again, neither Orange Ape nor his supporters seem to have heard of the concept. Not only that, they seem to despise what little they do know of it.

On another note, I've often wondered about the benefits of the so called benevolent dictator, which I understand to be a leader with absolute power, but who acts always for the good of the people he/she would rule over. Of course, Trump is not that. He's a tinpot fuckstick who'd be more at home wearing a fake military costume in a third world backwater. Except this orange tinpot fuckstick has half of America on his side.

You've characterized my president as an orange ape. I comprehend the orange part, as that's an ugly slight on the hue of his hair, and we have all been taught to not be ugly and refer to black people as apes because of how racist it is, yet while I don't think you're being racist, I don't quite get what message you're sending when referencing him like that.

What does Trump mean? No Court of Appeals for the good chunk of US?

He could be floating an old idea that people on the far right have floated in the past. Disband the court, fire the judges there, reestablish the court, and appoint judges more to your political liking. If any party did that, the other party would retaliate when they have the power to do so; not good for a stable court system.

Jebus he is being very vocal about that. On AM radio and the Internet, you can hear the context of 'cleansing' the US Government. It is quite frightening! The Republicans have been floating very disturbing policies like gerrymandering the Electoral College by shifting to proportional EVs in typical Blue States that they control the Legislature (that died a quick death). There is clearly a One-Party movement going on that will dissolve our Democracy.

Funny thing is, George W Bush was President for 8 years. And the 9th District Court isn't quite what it was in his Presidency. Justices get old, they retire, replaced by other Presidents. So the 9th District isn't as liberal as it used to be.

the Nineth covers Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska and Hawaii

This would have to go through both House and Senate to dissolve. I don't see it happening unless McConnell uses the "Nuclear Option" again.

Later,
ElectEngr

Trump said:
I thought republicans liked semi-automatics.

the Nineth covers Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska and Hawaii

This would have to go through both House and Senate to dissolve. I don't see it happening unless McConnell uses the "Nuclear Option" again.

Later,
ElectEngr
Trump's actions that are being blocked aren't really Republican priorities, so I doubt they care at all.

You've characterized my president as an orange ape. I comprehend the orange part, as that's an ugly slight on the hue of his hair, and we have all been taught to not be ugly and refer to black people as apes because of how racist it is, yet while I don't think you're being racist, I don't quite get what message you're sending when referencing him like that.

I guess I'm a terrible makeup-ist, or maybe spray tan-ist. The S.O.B. coats his face in makeup for whatever reason, and it looks absurd. I mean, have you seen him??? To me, his appearance is a symbol of who he is: grossly and obviously artificial, unapologetically vain, and it shouldn't fool anyone.

Trump said:

I thought the circuit courts cover specific areas. It's not like someone in Pennsylvania can choose to have their trial in the 9th Circuit, right?

Trump said:

I thought the circuit courts cover specific areas. It's not like someone in Pennsylvania can choose to have their trial in the 9th Circuit, right?

No, but for things like an executive order which affects all 50 states, challenges to it can occur in any of them. That means that opponents have the ability to present the challenge to wherever they feel they'd get the best response.

Hawaii? Why do we have a circuit court covering some island in the Pacific that isn't even part of 'Murica?

:rolleyesa:

It is racist to refer to black people as apes because apes are considered subhuman. Does that help you understand what message someone is sending when they refer to Trump as an ape?

It is racist to refer to black people as apes because apes are considered subhuman. Does that help you understand what message someone is sending when they refer to Trump as an ape?
If I'm reading that right, what's being espoused is that trump is subhuman, but that doesn't mesh, yet I'll let it go.

If I'm reading that right, what's being espoused is that trump is subhuman, but that doesn't mesh, yet I'll let it go.
There is a distinction between what the reference is and whether it is a valid reference. I do not think Trump is subhuman. And I think it is insult to all apes to refer to Trump as an ape.

Hawaii? Why do we have a circuit court covering some island in the Pacific that isn't even part of 'Murica?

:rolleyesa:
Funny thing, population wise:

Montana (44), Idaho (39), Washington (13), Oregon (27), California (1), Alaska (47), Arizona (15), and Hawaii (40).

In the Ninth District, Hawaii isn't the lowest population, by a good margin. Certainly not as big as California, but about on par with the 5th largest. And as shown, 10 other states are smaller across the country.

Meanwhile, will Sessions blow off 12/7/17?

One other thing, this went to court in multiple districts across the country. And I don't see Trump trying to fight most of the cases he has lost and he has lost nearly all of them.

No, but for things like an executive order which affects all 50 states, challenges to it can occur in any of them. That means that opponents have the ability to present the challenge to wherever they feel they'd get the best response.

Fair enough. Thanks.

I think it is insult to all apes to refer to Trump as an ape.

As an ape, it is my duty to point out that, as with all Families, there are good individuals and not-so-good ones. It is certainly not fair to the rest of us to make one of the worst into the exemplar for the whole family, but we must accept that he is yet one of us. :(

When "ape" is used to describe black people the intent is racist. However, in this case it is referring to a specific individual, describing him as sub-human. That is not racist.

However, in this case it's an insult to apes!

Trump would need Congress to do this. It's just another of his empty threats that he's becoming known for.

And that last decision against him was in a district court anyway.

Back
Top Bottom