• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump will pardon capitol rioters

But Garland is the head of DOJ and Biden is the Chief Executive. The buck stops with them.

Justice should not be politically biased.
Let me get this straight, your position is:

1) Everything that the DoJ does at any level is the responsibility of the head of the department, and of the President, because they are ultimately responsible for anything done by their subordinates;

and

2) Justice should never be the responsibility of the head of the DoJ, or of the President, because that would constitute political bias, which is unacceptable.

So, the Derec paradox states that "Justice must never be the responsibility of the department of justice".

I am thinking that this set of moral principles could be very tricky indeed to implement.
Gosh this all sounds so familiar...

It's almost like some people have two standards. One which applies to some thing, but not for another thing, and there's a factor involved in which standard they apply to which thing.

Like - and this is purely hypothetical - a group of people were having a protest, and a subset of the people in attendance (who may or may not have been there for the protest) does something bad. The person with the two standards...there's a phrase I'm looking for...dub...doublet? Ah yes, the doublet standard....not only blames the bad thing on the entire group rather than the subset, but also attributes other things which may or may not have happened in that city to people with a distinguishing physical characteristic that both groups of people shared. Nothing exaggerated, mind you....just something innocuous like saying the entire city was in flames because the window of a drug store was broken. Again, purely hypothetical.

Then another (purely hypothetical) group of people were having a very large picnic, and a subset of THOSE people (who were absolutely there for a protest) does something bad. They're all wearing similar clothing and/or carrying placards, but they mostly do share a particular physical characteristic. Let's say the subset of the group does something like...I dunno...attempting to topple an edifice which had heretofore not even been slightly damaged for over 200 years. The person with the doublet standards (that seems like the right phrase) says that it wasn't a big deal, and that subset of people was just on vacation like the rest of the people. Maybe they even took a tour bus there, which would make them...I dunno...vacationers? Anyway, they found themselves at the protest by sheer coincidence - since it wasn't even planned - and the fact that they happened to be dressed like and/or shouting the same slogans as the people who did the bad thing is in no way related to what happened. Just a few folks got a little over excited.

For the first group, no punishment can be too harsh.

For the second, what was the problem? The building is still there, and the windows needed to be replaced anyway.

Back
Top Bottom