• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trumpism and Trump Supporters

If Trump gets a humiliating defeat, is then fully investigated and convicted of multiple crimes, including treason, with all the evidence laid bare, there will still be Trumpism.

Of course. That’s my point. For Trumpism to be defeated, Trump must fail, and not at the ballot box or in some court of law, but while in power so his failure can be undeniable even by his ardent supporters. It takes economic failure for that to happen. Trump must be in power when there is a very serious economic downturn and they will abandon him. It’s the one unforgivable sin of American politics. Nothing less will do. George H. W. Bush found this out in 1992, despite just the previous year having defeated Saddam Hussein with minimal casualties, and his approval rating soaring to 91%. If Trump wins re-election, and Dems can take the Senate, it’s possible that in the 2022 midterms they will greatly increase their control and perhaps in 2024, even have enough to stop any Republican filibuster. But the economy has to fail, and I think it will. Trump’s so called economic credentials are grossly overrated, and he’s only survived this long thanks to extreme deficit spending. The Dems need to have the balls to stop this. So far they haven’t.

Even then , there will still be some Trumpism just as Germany has neo Nazis today, but they’ll be largely irrelevant.

We've got over 200,000 dead people and his approval rating has hardly slipped at all. Do you think something else might make a dent in these people's skulls?

About the only thing I can see that would make a dent in these fools' skulls is a ball pein hammer

If Trump gets a humiliating defeat, is then fully investigated and convicted of multiple crimes, including treason, with all the evidence laid bare, there will still be Trumpism.

Of course. That’s my point. For Trumpism to be defeated, Trump must fail, and not at the ballot box or in some court of law, but while in power so his failure can be undeniable even by his ardent supporters. It takes economic failure for that to happen. Trump must be in power when there is a very serious economic downturn and they will abandon him. It’s the one unforgivable sin of American politics. Nothing less will do. George H. W. Bush found this out in 1992, despite just the previous year having defeated Saddam Hussein with minimal casualties, and his approval rating soaring to 91%. If Trump wins re-election, and Dems can take the Senate, it’s possible that in the 2022 midterms they will greatly increase their control and perhaps in 2024, even have enough to stop any Republican filibuster. But the economy has to fail, and I think it will. Trump’s so called economic credentials are grossly overrated, and he’s only survived this long thanks to extreme deficit spending. The Dems need to have the balls to stop this. So far they haven’t.

Even then , there will still be some Trumpism just as Germany has neo Nazis today, but they’ll be largely irrelevant.

We've got over 200,000 dead people and his approval rating has hardly slipped at all. Do you think something else might make a dent in these people's skulls?

Yes. Economic downturn. It’s the one unforgivable sin in American politics. Pandemics don’t count, he can too easily deflect any criticism, and he has, blaming China, it’s inevitable, it’s only old people who would've died anyways, etc. He will lose his followers only if there is a significant economic downturn. Or at least a huge chunk of them. He can’t blame Obama after four years either, although god knows he’ll try.

Yes. Economic downturn. It’s the one unforgivable sin in American politics. Pandemics don’t count, he can too easily deflect any criticism, and he has, blaming China, it’s inevitable, it’s only old people who would've died anyways, etc. He will lose his followers only if there is a significant economic downturn. Or at least a huge chunk of them. He can’t blame Obama after four years either, although god knows he’ll try.

From what I remember, Reagan and company blamed Carter for everything that went wrong in the 80s. The Republicans have been good at blaming Democrats while never taking any responsibility for their own mistakes.

I think the far right media has been effective at indoctrinating people into supporting candidates who don't have their self interests at heart. But, I don't think it's fair to compare any of the former Republicans to Trump. Despite the bad things they've done or tried to do, I don't think they wanted to be autocrats who would do anything to maintain their power. No. Trump is unlike anything I've ever seen in this country in my lifetime. I don't remember the blatant attempts at voter suppression and making claims that elections are rigged from any other former Republican president. They may not have always made it easy for people to vote, but nothing like this has ever happened before in my lifetime. Still, unless something can be done to help people be more skeptical of what they see and hear, we're probably doomed.

It's sort of like religious fundamentalism. The believers get caught up by emotional appeals and they accept what they are told without ever thinking. Trump apparently has the same sort of appeal, especially when you consider that about 80% of the fundies love him.

https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1309485640900382721
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/1309485640900382721[/TWEET]
@WalshFreedom

Because I come from their world, I know Trump supporters. I know them well. They all are convinced the only way he loses is if it’s stolen. No matter the truth I put in front of them every day, they believe everything Trump & Fox News tell them. They will never believe he lost.

So... if/when it becomes propitious for the Murdochs to disavow Trump, those followers will believe it when FOX tells their credulous viewers that Trump lost?
It's hard to believe that any business franchise would want to back an attempt to overthrow the US government... it just doesn't see likely to turn out well from a profitability standpoint, even without liability considerations.

Schwarzenegger once did a video condemning neo-nazis, confederates, and other hate groups, saying how after WWII many of the original nazis were 'broken men' who spent the rest of their lives living in shame. And yet, we still have nazi wannabes running around. If Trump looses, goes to prison, and proof of everything said about him is shown clearly to be true, many of his followers will be shamed and broken. Some will start to pretend they never actually supported him. But there will also be groups that will still claim it all to be manufactured evidence, start revising history, or just say while Trump might have been a bad guy his goals were the correct ones.
Putin will make sure of that

For the masses that are his base, I think it's the racism, not the economy that's drives the train. For the wealthy Republican donors that benefit from GOP policies, the racist (and/or evangelical) masses are easily played (enraged) to secure a right wing voting base. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Back
Top Bottom