• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's "Entire Legacy Was Wiped Out"?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
GOP Representative Nancy Mace had a very interesting take on the events yesterday.

article said:
Trump’s “entire legacy was wiped out yesterday,” she said. “… We cannot condone the violence. … We need to have leadership more than ever right now in our country. We've got to rebuild our nation and rebuild our party.”
Two takeaways.

1) Apparently inciting violence only matters if violence happens?

2) Wiped out his legacy? No, the riot enshrines what his legacy is. This wasn't exactly a one-fer. Even way back in the beginning when his racist base was chanting about Jews and blood in Virginia and that one woman was murdered, Trump has been sowing hatred and division in America since Obama was President, and continued to do so when he was President. The reprehensible acts he is responsible for do not fall into a short list.

Make no mistake, this was not the exception, it was the Coda of his Presidency.

GOP Representative Nancy Mace had a very interesting take on the events yesterday.

article said:
Trump’s “entire legacy was wiped out yesterday,” she said. “… We cannot condone the violence. … We need to have leadership more than ever right now in our country. We've got to rebuild our nation and rebuild our party.”
Two takeaways.

1) Apparently inciting violence only matters if violence happens?

2) Wiped out his legacy? No, the riot enshrines what his legacy is. This wasn't exactly a one-fer. Even way back in the beginning when his racist base was chanting about Jews and blood in Virginia and that one woman was murdered, Trump has been sowing hatred and division in America since Obama was President, and continued to do so when he was President. The reprehensible acts he is responsible for do not fall into a short list.

Make no mistake, this was not the exception, it was the Coda of his Presidency.

It should not be lost among the finger wagging Republicans that they enabled Trump's every step to bitter end. Lindsey Graham claiming that everything was good but too bad it ended so bad demonstrates that they've learned nothing and deserve to fade into infamy for the next 8 years.

Historians will describe Trump's legacy as:

Incompetent
Racist
Disinterested
Self-centered
Destructive
Dishonest
Authoritarian
More..

His attempted Coup yesterday will cap off his legacy (unless he some something even worse between now and January 20 at noon)

Trump won't have a legacy at all. He'll be a footnote in the history of the 21st century U.S. In the grand scheme of things his presidency wasn't very consequential - except maybe as a signal that should have been reacted to more competently.

Trump won't have a legacy at all. He'll be a footnote in the history of the 21st century U.S. In the grand scheme of things his presidency wasn't very consequential - except maybe as a signal that should have been reacted to more competently.

I think that you are more optimistic that the US can restore some level of a shared view of democracy than I am. I can easily see Trump as having created the first huge rift in what a democracy should be. I can easily see Biden only having 4 years to perhaps only be able to not let things get worse and then a new Trump coming along to finish the job of turning the US into an autocracy. Biden may only have 2 years as in two years the house and senate could easily flip republican. And then there are still all the crazies in state government and still the toxic likes of Newsmax and their ilk continuing to foment sedition based on lies.

I think that you are more optimistic that the US can restore some level of a shared view of democracy than I am. I can easily see Trump as having created the first huge rift in what a democracy should be. I can easily see Biden only having 4 years to perhaps only be able to not let things get worse and then a new Trump coming along to finish the job of turning the US into an autocracy. Biden may only have 2 years as in two years the house and senate could easily flip republican. And then there are still all the crazies in state government and still the toxic likes of Newsmax and their ilk continuing to foment sedition based on lies.

You're misunderstanding - your description is basically what I'm proposing. But I don't think Trump was a cause of that, he was just a blip on the way. IOW, him winning with populist rhetoric should be an alarm bell to active American politicians. The cause is a shift in the North American economy, and particularly the trajectory of the U.S.

Reactions: WAB
Historians will describe Trump's legacy
...by pouring two shots of whiskey, slamming the first, slapping their palm on the table and leaning forward. "Okay, so first off, we got this reality show star who was ON RECORD as wanting to fuck his own daughter..."

You're misunderstanding - your description is basically what I'm proposing. But I don't think Trump was a cause of that, he was just a blip on the way. IOW, him winning with populist rhetoric should be an alarm bell to active American politicians. The cause is a shift in the North American economy, and particularly the trajectory of the U.S.

Is New Brunswick a nice place to live?

My wife and I are considering retiring there. It's close enough to our house in Maine to go there for various weeks in the summers. I'll have enough money to buy medical insurance as I know that we would not be allowed onto Canada's system because I haven't paid into it.

https://www.rawstory.com/overturn-election/

'Co-conspirators in sedition': Here are the names of every Republican who voted to overturn election results

It wasn't just Trump. He had eager enablers who clambered aboard the Trump clown car and had a fine time with all of this over four long years.

As Common Dreams reported Wednesday, Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) is planning to introduce a resolution calling for the expulsion of lawmakers who "incited this domestic terror attack through their attempts to overturn the election."

I support this effort of Rep. Cori Bush to boot these far right morons out of Congress. It is time to draw the line and kick enemies of Democracy out of Congress. And if that fails, to make this a grand and great issue come election time, 2022.

My wife and I are considering retiring there. It's close enough to our house in Maine to go there for various weeks in the summers. I'll have enough money to buy medical insurance as I know that we would not be allowed onto Canada's system because I haven't paid into it.
I might have been to New Brunswick more that rousseau. ;) It's nice, but you need to settle in an anglo portion if you don't know French. You'd also need to change your clocks with it being in the Atlantic Time Zone. Granted, changing clocks is probably the easiest part of a move, so I don't know why I brought it up.

I might have been to New Brunswick more that rousseau. ;) It's nice, but you need to settle in an anglo portion if you don't know French. You'd also need to change your clocks with it being in the Atlantic Time Zone. Granted, changing clocks is probably the easiest part of a move, so I don't know why I brought it up.

St. Stephen might be a good location. But I might prefer to be a bit further away from the border just in case. Perhaps Saint John instead.

Maybe closer to Moncton which puts you within a stone's throw from the Cape.... the other Cape... Breton.

His legacy was not wiped out. We just saw the capstone of it yesterday.

Do you realize that Trump's gravesite could feature an eternal flame -- without an outside fuel line? I'm picturing a simple piece of copper tubing coming out of the bottom of the casket. And it would be self-sustaining and budget-friendly.

Gotta give credit to those Nazi sympathizers who rallied peacefully in New York decades ago supporting Hitler. They didn't kill anyone that night.

Legacy... Remember how, in 2017, Trump was always yapping that "We inherited a mess"? It bears repeating what this century's Dem Presidents have inherited at inauguration time. In 2009, Obama inherited an unemployment rate at 7.6 and climbing, markets collapsing, auto makers about to go under, world markets teetering at the brink. We were in two wars, both of them funded by borrowing.
Trump inherited a 4.8% unemployment rate and a rebounding economy. He managed to add to the national debt by an unbelievable 36%. Unemployment is right now at 6.7%, and we are creeping up to 400,000 dead from an epidemic he said would dwindle away to nothing. His "leadership" during covid has been alternately capricious (mocking the mask-wearers, talking up quack medicine) or evil (inviting his followers to super-spreader events.) He ends his Presidency by recklessly sending a mob to act out his pathology on the Capitol. Our prestige in the world has never been lower.
Given the short memory of many voters, who knows if this pattern will suggest to voters that maybe the Repubs need to be reined in, until they purge themselves of their worst delusions? Maybe our side needs to have Biden repeat what, when Trump said it, was untruthful: We inherited a mess. A Republican, Trumpian mess.

Back
Top Bottom