• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's Justice Department declares some cities to be "anarchy" jurisdictions

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
In effect, perfect Republican jurisdictions, taking "less government" to its ultimate conclusion.
The Justice Department on Monday labeled three cities "anarchy" jurisdictions -- New York, Seattle and Portland, Oregon -- on orders from President Donald Trump, making good on the President's threat to withhold federal aid in response to prolonged civil unrest in those areas.

The Democratic leaders in those cities have largely opposed federal intervention despite some rising crime rates, citing a desire to not escalate tensions.

The announcement is overtly political and is certain to trigger legal challenges. Trump has frequently touted himself as the "law and order" candidate as he seeks reelection in the wake of the summer's demonstrations over racial justice, even though the overwhelming majority of the protests have been peaceful.

It's also notable that cities located in Wisconsin or Minnesota -- which have seen unrest this summer but are considered competitive in the presidential election -- are not included.
Steven Nelson on Twitter: "SCOOP: DOJ declares NYC, Portland and Seattle 'anarchist jurisdictions'

WH budget office will soon instruct fed agencies to defund them under President Trump's Sept. 2 memo

@MayorBowser recently called Trump, and DC was spared https://t.co/ytq89wnfor" / Twitter

Then Joy-Ann Reid of The Reidout:
Joy Reid on Twitter: "This is what tyranny looks like. Pay attention." / Twitter

As the police in those places are beating people in the street, arresting and killing with impunity.

Good heavens! I feel ashamed, but I just had dinner with my kids in the viper den of hell that was called Portland! But we survived by God's grace. We need Trump to please hurry up and send in the troops to keep us safe. (Buddy: don't believe that you're hearing about Portland!)

As the police in those places are beating people in the street, arresting and killing with impunity.

Good heavens! I feel ashamed, but I just had dinner with my kids in the viper den of hell that was called Portland! But we survived by God's grace. We need Trump to please hurry up and send in the troops to keep us safe. (Buddy: don't believe that you're hearing about Portland!)

You deny that there has been police brutality in Portland?

I walked down waterfront park today and through downtown and only got a couple of antifawounds

I didn't read it that way. But if so, that's just dumb. They have been straight up fascist.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JakeLobin/status/1308096855843184641?s=20[/TWEET]

I didn't read it that way. But if so, that's just dumb. They have been straight up fascist.

What examples do you have of the Portland cops acting fascist? Again, I live in Portland. Don't believe everything that you've heard. Politesse and Trump are incredibly exaggerating what's going on in Portland. Portland's one of the greatest cities in the country. Very liberal. We have crime. Far less than most cities. Portland and Seattle are unique in that they are hated by both the far left and the far right. Don't know why.

I was back in Seattle this past weekend and was also able to escape with just a few minor stabs wounds and burns from the Antifa Fires. So far my favorite response to this stupid anarchy claim was a buddy commenting "Didn't we see Anarchist Jurisdiction open for Fugazi in '94?"

I was back in Seattle this past weekend and was also able to escape with just a few minor stabs wounds and burns from the Antifa Fires. So far my favorite response to this stupid anarchy claim was a buddy commenting "Didn't we see Anarchist Jurisdiction open for Fugazi in '94?"

Funny! Actually Seattle and Portland's greatest problem is that too many people want to move here creating traffic and other types of problems. I wish fewer people would come to preserve our way of life.

Funny! Actually Seattle and Portland's greatest problem is that too many people want to move here creating traffic and other types of problems. I wish fewer people would come to preserve our way of life.

Yup. My wife is from Portland and it seems to be different every time we visit. We're in SLC for another year or so for my job and the same thing is happening here in the Mountain West as people get priced out of the California and the PNW. Salt Lake and Boise are growing really fast now and it's changing the feel of the cities quite rapidly. In SLC that's a good thing.

In effect, perfect Republican jurisdictions, taking "less government" to its ultimate conclusion.
The Justice Department on Monday labeled three cities "anarchy" jurisdictions -- New York, Seattle and Portland, Oregon -- on orders from President Donald Trump, making good on the President's threat to withhold federal aid in response to prolonged civil unrest in those areas.

The Democratic leaders in those cities have largely opposed federal intervention despite some rising crime rates, citing a desire to not escalate tensions.

The announcement is overtly political and is certain to trigger legal challenges. Trump has frequently touted himself as the "law and order" candidate as he seeks reelection in the wake of the summer's demonstrations over racial justice, even though the overwhelming majority of the protests have been peaceful.

It's also notable that cities located in Wisconsin or Minnesota -- which have seen unrest this summer but are considered competitive in the presidential election -- are not included.
Steven Nelson on Twitter: "SCOOP: DOJ declares NYC, Portland and Seattle 'anarchist jurisdictions'

WH budget office will soon instruct fed agencies to defund them under President Trump's Sept. 2 memo

@MayorBowser recently called Trump, and DC was spared https://t.co/ytq89wnfor" / Twitter

Then Joy-Ann Reid of The Reidout:
Joy Reid on Twitter: "This is what tyranny looks like. Pay attention." / Twitter
So this is the death of our democracy. A bunch of bad lies is all it takes.

Yeah, Harry Bosch's post went zoom over the cranium.

What examples do you have of the Portland cops acting fascist? Again, I live in Portland. Don't believe everything that you've heard. Politesse and Trump are incredibly exaggerating what's going on in Portland. Portland's one of the greatest cities in the country. Very liberal. We have crime. Far less than most cities. Portland and Seattle are unique in that they are hated by both the far left and the far right. Don't know why.

I adore Portland. But that doesn't erase what's been happening there in response to BLM (not to mention the, well, general history of race relations in that city). The same is true of my own city, lovely place but utopias are always maintained by violence, sometimes quiet and sometimes not so quiet. And I think it is an absurdity to call a city that routinely relies on police violence to maintain order "anarchist". That's the pure opposite of anarchy.

Yeah, Harry Bosch's post went zoom over the cranium.

If he hadn't quoted my post, I wouldn't have thought he was contradicting my observation. But he did, so I do.

Hold on there. You made a rather sweeping generalization:

"As the police in those places are beating people in the street, arresting and killing with impunity."

One can disagree with that and still claim that there has been police brutality in Portland. He didn't claim there was no police brutality, just that he felt it had been exaggerated.

If he hadn't quoted my post, I wouldn't have thought he was contradicting my observation. But he did, so I do.

"As the police in those places are beating people in the street, arresting and killing with impunity."

One can disagree with that and still claim that there has been police brutality in Portland. He didn't claim there was no police brutality, just that he felt it had been exaggerated.
Well, that's true. Though I stand by my claim as well. I haven't been there in person since the quarantine started, but the videos I've seen coming out of Portland have done nothing to change my existing impression of how the police of Portland relate to their minority citizens. The people of Portland are liberal, decent, kind-hearted people for the most part. The authorities of Portland are caught awkwardly between the aesthetics of liberalism and the reality of managing a major metropolitan area with all the problems of a big city plus the added weight of a long, racist history and corresponding factionalism in the streets. The result is not an anarchy in form or practice, even if some of Portland's more free-wheeling young citizens would love for that to be the case.

Well, that's true. Though I stand by my claim as well. I haven't been there in person since the quarantine started, but the videos I've seen coming out of Portland have done nothing to change my existing impression of how the police of Portland relate to their minority citizens. The people of Portland are liberal, decent, kind-hearted people for the most part. The authorities of Portland are caught awkwardly between the aesthetics of liberalism and the reality of managing a major metropolitan area with all the problems of a big city plus the added weight of a long, racist history and corresponding factionalism in the streets. The result is not an anarchy in form or practice, even if some of Portland's more free-wheeling young citizens would love for that to be the case.

Pretty much the same thing is true of Seattle. I think that police forces everywhere are riddled with people who let their racial and other biases influence how they treat members of the public. All too often, it results in police misconduct, sometimes even murder. It is also true that there have been some roving bands of leftist hooligans in both Seattle and Portland that have trashed neighborhoods and engaged in violence towards police. There have been some serious cases of looting. The local governments don't want federal help, primarily because the kind of help they are offered isn't cooperation, but behavior that provokes civil disorder. It is bad enough when the local police lack training and discipline, but Trump's goon squads are not there to deescalate the violence. They are there to justify his demagoguery. That can't be achieved if BLM protests remain nonviolent.

Pretty much the same thing is true of Seattle. I think that police forces everywhere are riddled with people who let their racial and other biases influence how they treat members of the public. All too often, it results in police misconduct, sometimes even murder. It is also true that there have been some roving bands of leftist hooligans in both Seattle and Portland that have trashed neighborhoods and engaged in violence towards police. There have been some serious cases of looting. The local governments don't want federal help, primarily because the kind of help they are offered isn't cooperation, but behavior that provokes civil disorder. It is bad enough when the local police lack training and discipline, but Trump's goon squads are not there to deescalate the violence. They are there to justify his demagoguery. That can't be achieved if BLM protests remain nonviolent.

Just so. Trump's proposed solution is exactly the problem.

Just so. Trump's proposed solution is exactly the problem.

But you and Trump agree that Portland is a hell hole deserving of fire bombing! Maybe the bad pub will slow the stream of new people to the city. It's a great place to live. Mild weather, great down town, snow skiing one hour away, great lakes and rivers, fishing, liberal lifestyle, and etc.

Back
Top Bottom