• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Turns Out Eyes Are Not Poorly Designed

You're equating the qualia of blue to the word blue.

The word blue is a linguistic symbol used to delineate the qualia "blue" from other qualia. Creating a word for the qualia blue and creating the qualia blue are 2 entirely different things.

You're equating the qualia of blue to the word blue.

The word blue is a linguistic symbol used to delineate the qualia "blue" from other qualia. Creating a word for the qualia blue and creating the qualia blue are 2 entirely different things.

I understand your point... is the quala "blue" the same for you as it is for me? I assert there is no way to tell. If the internal representation of "blue" internal to your brain is precisely the same as the internal represetnation within my brain, then you are right and it is universal (not created by man). I could be wrong, but I beleive these perceptions have been measured inside living human brians, and they are known to not be the same.

In other words, what you and I percieve as being blue may be the same (more or less), the representation of blue (that is, what the quala of blue is) may be entierly different. Maybe what you see as blue I see as red, but we both use the word blue to describe the same thing. no way really to tell.

Yeah. I've read some things that could indicate that the low and high wavelength signals are switched in some people's brains. Which implies that red and blue are switched (more or less).

This doesn't even get into intensity of colors, and how some people lack certain "qualia" types, etc.

Turns Out Eyes Are Not Poorly Designed
And the creationist is back with another misleading claim!

Has anyone actually said the eye was POORLY designed? Anyone here, or elsewhere?
Or are you mis-stating what others have said for the purpose of effect?

This is an oldie. The human eye is poorly designed compared to a squid's eye. Which makes a mockery of supposed intelligent design et al. As is common in evolution, the human eye works because of some clumsy hacks.

Eternity has certain concepts associated with it that a young mind may have problems with. It is hidden behind the veil of mortality, and knowledge and acceptance of what is proper (love) are slowly taught to young minds.

Intelligent design is shown by designing (removing signs of design) from the universe, and providing the shade of mortality (thou wilt surely die now that you have eaten from the tree of knowledge, mortal!) to infant minds. In fact, the appearance of natural law (no deity) provides relief from imagined slights of eternity, by which I say you should infer no hell, except a Disney version of Dante's Inferno.

Back
Top Bottom