• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

I've had a Twitter account for years because my former employer wanted everyone to Tweet company stuff. I never used it until Must took over Twitter as I wanted to see for myself what he'd do with it.

Has it always been overflowing with right wing lies?

Some guy, and Musk agreed, that the NYT did not cover Musk's "Twitter Files" but the NYT did.

What a hell hole.

What does that have to do with my post and the statement I was responding to?
I think the person who can't stop talking about trans issues is suggesting you could simply ignore Twitter if it offends you. ;)
You don't even have to ignore Twitter. Just unfollow, block or mute anybody you want.
Person A: Twitter is becoming quite crappy.
Metaphor: You can just put those people on ignore.
Person A: I was making a qualitative claim.
Metaphor: You can still put them on ignore.
Person A: I'm saying there are more racist posts on Twitter now since Musk purchased it.
Metaphor: You can still ignore those posters.

Problems go away as long as you ignore them.

I've had a Twitter account for years because my former employer wanted everyone to Tweet company stuff. I never used it until Must took over Twitter as I wanted to see for myself what he'd do with it.

Some guy, and Musk agreed, that the NYT did not cover Musk's "Twitter Files" but the NYT did.

What a hell hole.
In my opinion, there is a lot of just about everything on Twitter. Any claims of it being far too this and far too that are overblown. It's like saying the internet is left or right leaning. I got banned for using the word negro on Twitter. I can claim the leftists Twitter staff banned me for using the word to describe a member of a dark-skinned group or the rightist banned me for being one. It's a toss up.

What a hell hole.
In my opinion, there is a lot of just about everything on Twitter. Any claims of it being far too this and far too that are overblown. It's like saying the internet is left or right leaning. I got banned for using the word negro on Twitter. I can claim the leftists Twitter staff banned me for using the word to describe a member of a dark-skinned group or the rightist banned me for being one. It's a toss up.
Twitter is noise. It incentivized blurts and blurts aren't really capable of projecting much useful content. YouTube has a lot of noise, but because it is videos, it can contain something useful. Twitter's design almost precludes it from much usefulness at all. The problem becomes, its lack of depth also is attractive to people who don't like to actually read things or watch a decent length video on something complicated. They want something immediate and fulfilling. And from there, you get Noise. Some people might like some of the noise, but it is nothing but noise.

What a hell hole.
Twitter is noise. It incentivized blurts and blurts aren't really capable of projecting much useful content. YouTube has a lot of noise, but because it is videos, it can contain something useful. Twitter's design almost precludes it from much usefulness at all. The problem becomes, its lack of depth also is attractive to people who don't like to actually read things or watch a decent length video on something complicated. They want something immediate and fulfilling. And from there, you get Noise. Some people might like some of the noise, but it is nothing but noise.
The key benefit of twitter is speed. You get the news there first, and usually false news also gets debunked very fast.

Maybe I don't know how to use twitter properly but I have no trouble ignoring trolls and idiots.

I think the person who can't stop talking about trans issues is suggesting you could simply ignore Twitter if it offends you. ;)
You don't even have to ignore Twitter. Just unfollow, block or mute anybody you want.
Person A: I'm saying there are more racist posts on Twitter now since Musk purchased it.

Other people's speech is not a "problem".

If only it was that simple to ignore bigoted pricks in real life.
The blocking is a big problem for me. The people that want to force the platforms to be their megaphones use the block function and every other tool in the box to make sure that debunkers are silenced. The block, file bogus complaints against the "harrassers", etc... Youtube, Twitter, etc... always side with the grifter right up until the point when the grift risks exposing them to some sort of legal peril. Doesn't matter if it is Alex Jones, Dutchsinse, Mike Adams, Joe Mercola, Trump, or anyone else. If they are getting more clicks than the debunkers then the platform helps them stifle the debunkers. Only when the platform gets afraid of getting sucked into a defamation lawsuit or some regulatory threat that they do anything.

I'd like to see Twitter thrown wide open with zero controls. Let it be a true free speech zone where you can't block anybody. That's what the right wingers want isn't it? Let them exist on their without the ability to block people and such.

If only it was that simple to ignore bigoted pricks in real life.
The blocking is a big problem for me. The people that want to force the platforms to be their megaphones use the block function and every other tool in the box to make sure that debunkers are silenced. The block, file bogus complaints against the "harrassers", etc... Youtube, Twitter, etc... always side with the grifter right up until the point when the grift risks exposing them to some sort of legal peril. Doesn't matter if it is Alex Jones, Dutchsinse, Mike Adams, Joe Mercola, Trump, or anyone else. If they are getting more clicks than the debunkers then the platform helps them stifle the debunkers. Only when the platform gets afraid of getting sucked into a defamation lawsuit or some regulatory threat that they do anything.

I'd like to see Twitter thrown wide open with zero controls. Let it be a true free speech zone where you can't block anybody. That's what the right wingers want isn't it? Let them exist on their without the ability to block people and such.
What? A "true free speech zone"? What are you talking about? Are you suggesting that without the ability to force an audience to listen, nobody has free speech?

No. I want the feeds to be prohibited from blocking dissent from their channels. A true free for all as opposed to the grifters being permitted to use the platform as a megaphone while actively censoring their own feeds. Don't like it? Don't use it. But I am sick of them using the platforms as a megaphone while actively trying to block debunkers from debunking them.

No. I want the feeds to be prohibited from blocking dissent from their channels. A true free for all as opposed to the grifters being permitted to use the platform as a megaphone while actively censoring their own feeds. Don't like it? Don't use it. But I am sick of them using the platforms as a megaphone while actively trying to block debunkers from debunking them.
Well I suppose when you own Twitter you can make that policy. And I'm sure everyone will love it

So you’re saying that the owners of these sites can do with them as they please. Okay.

So you’re saying that the owners of these sites can do with them as they please. Okay.
Of course they can.

Then people are also free to mock and deride them for how stupid their decisions are and how much money it loses them.

FgR9k7NWAAIB-v6

Pure comedy genius. :rolleyes:

How far back in time is he posting from? Is he going to start Tweeting about Clinton's emails or Whitewter? Solar panels on the White House?

The other comment is did Musk really have to buy Twitter to troll from it?

It works for Metaphors posts, mostly. If the rest of you would do the same, it would probably go away.

Back
Top Bottom