• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Two thumbs up for ONKYO

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Well, I bought an ONKYO after a Pioneer HTS prematurely died on me. Which was odd, I have a smaller Pioneer setup that is still alive and kicking, but apparently the soldering sucked on the speaker connections and I don't know how to solder, so replaced it. I still have the old one, may fix it one day.

Anyway, my ONKYO started acting a little funny, but there were the typical work arounds, turn it off, then back on, etc... Then one day it just stopped outputting noise, which is bad for a HTS. Noise is one of the main draws.

I go online and notice a bunch of other people having a similar problem, but I didn't think it was that bad. I ran a couple checks... oh... it is that bad. Turns out the issue came down a defective chip. ONKYO decides to announce a fix for free, even out of warranty.

:love:

Go to their website, enter the data, and in less than two weeks from signing up on the site, dropped off with Fedex, fixed, and dropped by home, and all is well. Sure, I had to plug everything back in, including all the speakers, but I survived.

Really glad I wasn't out money on this one. This sort of stuff is what leads to a comeback buyer.

Well, I bought an ONKYO after a Pioneer HTS prematurely died on me. Which was odd, I have a smaller Pioneer setup that is still alive and kicking, but apparently the soldering sucked on the speaker connections and I don't know how to solder, so replaced it. I still have the old one, may fix it one day.

Anyway, my ONKYO started acting a little funny, but there were the typical work arounds, turn it off, then back on, etc... Then one day it just stopped outputting noise, which is bad for a HTS. Noise is one of the main draws.

I go online and notice a bunch of other people having a similar problem, but I didn't think it was that bad. I ran a couple checks... oh... it is that bad. Turns out the issue came down a defective chip. ONKYO decides to announce a fix for free, even out of warranty.

:love:

Go to their website, enter the data, and in less than two weeks from signing up on the site, dropped off with Fedex, fixed, and dropped by home, and all is well. Sure, I had to plug everything back in, including all the speakers, but I survived.

Really glad I wasn't out money on this one. This sort of stuff is what leads to a comeback buyer.

You should learn soldering. Its cheap, easy and a good skill to have. I have fixed many things and saved a lot of money by just resoldering in loose/broken wires, PCB components, etc. A lot of widescreen TVs and other electronics die because of failed, underdesigned electrolytic capacitors (that are easy to spot by their bulging and leaking). Replace the capacitors for about $2 and you're back in business. People often post their cheap fixes on the web with lots of photos and videos.

You'd be surprised at how often companies will support their products just for the asking, even if they are out of warranty. Its always worth a try. Especially if you find out its a known defect, but the company doesn't officially recall it or advertise the problem. As you discovered, the web is your friend.

OK, I am officially old; I had to Google to find out what ONKYO and HTS were.

For the other fossils who might be reading this on the electric internet: HTS is an acronym for 'Home Theatre System', and refers to surround-sound speakers and the associated amplifier and equipment; and Onkyo is a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, specializing in home cinema and audio equipment including receivers and surround sound speakers. The word Onkyo translates as "sound harmony".

Personally, I am still impressed that my TV has a colour picture, and stereo sound.

You should learn soldering. Its cheap, easy and a good skill to have. I have fixed many things and saved a lot of money by just resoldering in loose/broken wires, PCB components, etc. A lot of widescreen TVs and other electronics die because of failed, underdesigned electrolytic capacitors (that are easy to spot by their bulging and leaking). Replace the capacitors for about $2 and you're back in business. People often post their cheap fixes on the web with lots of photos and videos.
It really is something I want to get myself into. It is a usable skill.

You'd be surprised at how often companies will support their products just for the asking, even if they are out of warranty. Its always worth a try. Especially if you find out its a known defect, but the company doesn't officially recall it or advertise the problem. As you discovered, the web is your friend.
Yup. Got the receiver fixed for nothing and pretty darn fast, and fixed my drier too... all in the same week. The Intertubes are awesome when it comes to that sort of information.

OK, I am officially old; I had to Google to find out what ONKYO and HTS were.

For the other fossils who might be reading this on the electric internet: HTS is an acronym for 'Home Theatre System', and refers to surround-sound speakers and the associated amplifier and equipment; and Onkyo is a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, specializing in home cinema and audio equipment including receivers and surround sound speakers. The word Onkyo translates as "sound harmony".

Personally, I am still impressed that my TV has a colour picture, and stereo sound.
Sorry. I thought ONKYO was a known name. For me, it was the brand that was a bit out of my price range earlier in my life, but I decided to step it up after my Pioneer mishaps. Glad I did. I like my receiver, it is like an Audio-Roku for streaming various audio services (Vtuner, Spotify, Pandora, etc...).

And seriously, you still do the stereo sound thing? I was all up in Surround as soon as I could. Makes listening to music so much richer.

People often post their cheap fixes on the web with lots of photos and videos.
People finding fixes, especially component level fixes, is a major source of pride and definitely gets posted on the internet. I saved $250 resoldering a wafer thin resistor on the board for a overhead compass/temp console in my truck this way. I never would have found that on my own. A micro-miniture soldering iron is best for a lot of this stuff.
Seems Onkyo and Marantz are the best HTS' For music, I've heard Outlaw Audio's 2150 and Paradigm speakers are outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom