• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

U.F.C

chrisengland

Basic Beliefs
N/A
Started watching UFC. Watched UFC 174 the other day. Thought it was good. Thought the second fight was a bit of a dodgy decision. The one with the guy, Andre something who was coming back after 6 years. Thought the other guy should have won.

Really thought that was a terrible fight. Arlovski used to have phenomenal hand speed, but that has declined. His striking defense and head movement have always been terrible, and Schaub has never been that impressive.

The heavyweight division is really the weakest division, and only one of the top 15 ranked heavyeights is under 30. Some guys, like Nog and Barnett have taken a lot of damage over the years, and in the case of fighters like Nog, it is really, really time for him to step down.

I both like and dislike her fights. I like her talent, her athleticism and the fact that she continues to improve between fights. I dislike that she shows how terrible many of the top ranked female 135lbs. fighters (and some of the 145lbs. fighters) are. Or, at least, terrible by comparison. And her division is grappling-heavy, so she is beating everyone handily in the area in which they are strongest.

If you have not done so, you might want to look into some of the old Pride fights, like the first Fedor-Nog fight.

It use to be bare knuckle and no rules didn't it? Are they allowed to use clenched fists now or do the gloves stop them from closing completely anyway?

It use to be bare knuckle and no rules didn't it? Are they allowed to use clenched fists now or do the gloves stop them from closing completely anyway?

Yes, it did. And no, you can completely close your fists.

The Arlovski v Schuab fight was terrible, no doubt about it, I had hopes that Arlovski would do so much better. He is a striker, and he barely threw a punch in the first two rounds. That said, those rounds should have gone to Arlovski, he was the aggressor, and he also managed to somehow do some damage to Schuab. I have never been very impressed with Schuab, but he clearly won the third round. Unfortunately, that's not good enough to win the fight.

Johnson v Bagautinov was definitely a better fight, but Johnson is just so dominant in the Flyweight division no one can touch him right now. I thought Dotson had the best chance of any of the contenders, and he has already had that chance and lost. I would like to see them rematch, though.

I thought the next best fight of the night was in the prelims, Letorneua v Phillips. Those two women went at it hard. Split decision, but a great fight nonetheless. Of course Ronda Rousey would destroy either one of them. I will be excited to see her take on Alexis Davis, though.

I also thought the ladies had the FOTN, and am looking forward to Rousey/Davis. Also (non-UFC) I am awaiting the return of Miriam Nakamoto.

One fight I am really looking forward to is the Jacare/Mousasi rematch.

So are they allowed to fight with a clenched fist now with the gloves on or is it against the rules?

I don't know to much about the fighters. One thing I would say about Rousey is that she completely destroys her opponents so even if she doesn't have much competition she is still easily beating them

I don't know to much about the fighters. One thing I would say about Rousey is that she completely destroys her opponents so even if she doesn't have much competition she is still easily beating them

Ronda has long been thought of as a one-dimensional fighter, a pure grappler. She has won all of her professional fights (except the last one) by arm bar. Meisha Tate thought that if she could defend against that arm bar, she could beat Ronda, and a lot of people agreed with her in that. Meisha did a good job of doing just that in their last fight, but Ronda still wore her down for 3 rounds, and then applied the arm bar. Turned out that she was not so one-dimensional after all, then Ronda went on to beat Sara McMann with a devastating knee in just over a minute in the next fight.

AFAIK there has never been any prohibition in the UFC against fighting with a clenched fist, but they currently used the unified MMA rules, which can be found here: http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations
In UFC 9 they weren't allowed to use fists because of a hasty city ordinance. In probably contributed to what many consider the most boring fight ever with Severn/Shamrock. Neither wanted to shoot for the take down so Severn just circled around Shamrock for most of the fight with neither striking each other.

Ronda has long been thought of as a one-dimensional fighter, a pure grappler. She has won all of her professional fights (except the last one) by arm bar. Meisha Tate thought that if she could defend against that arm bar, she could beat Ronda, and a lot of people agreed with her in that. Meisha did a good job of doing just that in their last fight, but Ronda still wore her down for 3 rounds, and then applied the arm bar. Turned out that she was not so one-dimensional after all, then Ronda went on to beat Sara McMann with a devastating knee in just over a minute in the next fight.

I never understood why people referred to Rousey as one-dimensional, other than ignorance. Being a long-time judoka, she is able to control position and where the fight takes place via clinch/takedowns, which is one third of the fight. The superiority of her submission game does not need to be stated. Yes, he striking was shit and still is not great, but continues to improve. But, so does her grappling game. Like many judoka who have gone for a finish on the mat quickly, like, say, myself, there is a tendency to over-rotate for speed, because stand-ups occur so quickly in judo. She has quit doing this, and frequently executes a throw and now lands in side control or secures position on the way down. The speed with which her game evolves is something that others in her division also have trouble dealing with.

Unless she does something stupid, or someone gets lucky, she will be the champ for a while. And by lucky I mean connects with an overhand right, as she apparently still has trouble moving her head off-center as she clinches. She did get hit quite a bit in the past from the left, but has gotten better about keeping her right hand higher as she moves in.

Really looking forward to the Jacare/Mousasi rematch. Jacare's stand-up is light years beyond where it was when they first fought, and Mousasi has improved his TDD. So both 175 and 176 are shaping up to be great cards.

I just watched fight night Swanson vs Stevens. Thought it was good I think all the fights went the distance apart for some of the prelims. I amazed that they don't stop the fights sometimes.

I just watched fight night Swanson vs Stevens. Thought it was good I think all the fights went the distance apart for some of the prelims. I amazed that they don't stop the fights sometimes.

Well, most of the fighters would rather be beaten to a pulp than have someone stop the fight. This attitude is one of the things that make somebody a fighter. And sometimes they do stop fights, fairly frequently, in fact. The ref must make a judgment call on when the fighter is still presenting an "intelligent defense." At the point where this is no longer occurring, the fight should be stopped. And refs are often criticized for stopping fights too soon or too late (no-win situation for them).

For what its worth, John McCarthy (ref since UFC 2, co-author of the unified rules) is very outspoken about the need for rules changes. Unfortunately, that is up to the athletic commission(s). The original unified rules were adopted by by the New Jersey state athletic commission, and have since been approved by most of the other states (New York being the exception). It is a colossal pain in the ass to get one of these commissions to change their mind, which is made even worse as many (most) of the people on them know next to nothing about MMA.

Anyone catch UFC 175, or the TUF Finale over the weekend? If not, spoilers ahead.

Rhonda Rousey continues to amaze with a 16 second TKO. She took one punch, then decided she did not want to get hit anymore. A judo toss and flurry of blows later, and she is still undefeated.

Weidman v. Machida, even though it went the distance was pretty one-sided, except for the 4th round, when it looked for a little while like Machida was going to finish the champ. Weidman weathered the storm though, and solidified his hold on the belt. One judge scored the fight 49-45, which I don't really get. I am guessing Machida was only given 8 points for the first round by that judge, who apparently does not understand how counter-punchers like Machida operate.

In the TUF Finale, both finalists won quickly and decisively, which was totally unexpected after some of the lackluster performances on the show. Then again, what do you expect when the fighters know they have to fight several times over the course of just a few months. They fight hard to get on the show, but then the reality of what getting injured will do to their chances of winning sets in, and they fight defensively for the rest of the show.

Speaking of fighting defensively, what was up with BJ Penn? I have never been a fan of his, he is a nice enough guy, but he never seems to take his fights seriously. Edgar tore through him like he was a tackling dummy, and gave him a serious beating on the ground. BJ's career is over, he never should have been given this fight in the first place.

I watched the two last fights but I have not seen the rest yet. I actually thought the main event started of slow but then it really got going and was a great fight. Weidmen seemed to tire after the third round possibly because he has beat all his previous opponents before round 3. Rousey was amazing 16 seconds and it was lights out. I think the only way to beat her would be to try to just not get submitted or knocked out for the first two rounds(Basically run away from her) and hope that she tires as she has beaten all of her opponents by the third round.

I think the only way to beat her would be to try to just not get submitted or knocked out for the first two rounds(Basically run away from her) and hope that she tires as she has beaten all of her opponents by the third round.
That might work on some super large heavy weight that has a massive physique to support. But I doubt and elite athlete of her size would have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom