• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Unbelievers. Are there any moral flaws in Jesus?

Reading between the lines Jesus was saying most people are ignorant and stupid. They hear words but can not understand meaning. The only way to communicate with them is through simple moral stories, IOW parables. As were Aesop's Fables.

It doesn't tke a PHD to understand it. Instead of a lightly explanation if we are confident in an outcoe we might call it a 'slam dunk'.

In those days literacy meant functional literacy. You could read signs and write messages and the like. Reading a book or any writing and being able to comprehend meaning was for the educated few.

The apostles were probably not the brightest bulbs in Judea.

For an analogy look at the tribal ares in Pakisatn or the Taliban in Afghanistan. Kids learn to memorize and recite the Koran with little understanding.

Reading between the lines Jesus was saying most people are ignorant and stupid.
I think it is showing more of our tendency to hold poor ideas out of tradition or habit.

We all crave change, but always seen to fight them them when we get them.

Jesus was teaching against organized religions and that was what everyone was used to. It is no wonder the majority fought change to better thinking.

Regards
DL

Looking at Jesus as a regular human minus all the supernatural he was saying nothing profound, at least in terms of today.

People invent in the imagination a mystical reverence for Jesus that makes them feel good.

In terms of moden psycholgy amd our modern moral sensibilities Jesus is outafted and an stoical footnote. According to the gospels Jesus was not a social activit of any kind. For example 'The poor you will ave forever, me only a short while'. Utter arrogance.

The Greek philosophers were far more developed and sophisticated in moral theory compared to the Hebrews and Jesus, Hindus and Buddhists as well before Jesus. The Hebrew moral philosophy up to then ws not unlike the extreme Islamic morality we see today.

Western civilization is heavily influenced by Christianity, but our basic principles and ideas come primarily from the Greeks. Logic and reason. What does it mean to be a moral person and what is ethical behavior.

Confucius influenced Chines and Asian culture even today. The idea of the superior moral man and what that means.

As I said there are no flaws per se in Jesus in the gospels, it is that there is no developed moral pphilopshy except simplistic unconnected sound bites. Love your neighbor as yourself. As a Jew preaching to Jews referencing Jewish scripture and prophets he would not need to develop anything new.

The idea of a perfect Jesus is a western invention.

If Jesus was God as per orthodox Christianity, it seems God would want to save everybody. So using arcane parables to prevent people from being saved makes no sense, does it?
These preachers likely needed some level of legitimacy... not being the "source" of the parables.

"But Jesus told us everything... he spoke only parables to you, so you need us!"
The other quotes I posted are not the ways of a competent savior. Rather they are what we would expect from yet another cult leader.
Or, the quote is meant to attribute a valid wisdom of 'if you think you are perfect, you can feck off you vain liar'.

Looking at Jesus as a regular human minus all the supernatural he was saying nothing profound, at least in terms of today.
I agree that there is nothing original in the Bible.

Regards
DL
I woud agree there is nothing original in any Christianity, including Gnostic Christianity. All forms of Christianity are derivative.

Regards
DL
I woud agree there is nothing original in any Christianity, including Gnostic Christianity. All forms of Christianity are derivative.
I agree.

You do not seem to care that Gnostic Christianity became moral while the Christians went immoral.

I think your bias won't let you give credit where credit is due.

Do you also bad mouth the atheist churches as well, or are you promoting them the way all atheists should?

Regards
DL

Regards
DL
I agree.

You do not seem to care that Gnostic Christianity became moral while the Christians went immoral.

Do you also bad mouth the atheist churches as well, or are you promoting them the way all atheists should?

Regards
DL
Layy it on us brother Gnostic, amen brother. All's we need is a choir and an organ and we have meeting.

Regards
DL
I agree.

Regards
DL
Layy it on us brother Gnostic, amen brother. All's we need is a choir and an organ and we have meeting.
Do you not see the value in atheist churches and Mystery Schools?

Regards
DL

What "atheist churches" are you referring to?

I'm not saying that there aren't any. I'm asking you what you meant by using the term.
Tom
I did not coin the phrase, but this link may sufice.

Do you recognize why atheists should start churches and Mystery Schools?

What should be important to all atheists who fear losing their bright non-supernatural believing children to a dimwitted supernatural believing church?

Regards
DL

Back
Top Bottom