• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Uplifting Politics: Minnesota Mulls Banning Childhood Video Exploitation

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

I have for some time been of the opinion that people should not post pictures of any "real" child online.

I have for some time been of the opinion that people should not post pictures of any "real" child online.
Early days of me being on Facebook ( keep in mind I was late to jump on board and then only after much pleading of friends) , I posted a couple of decades-old photos of my kids. It honestly never, ever, ever occurred to me that these could be used for any nefarious reasons. Or, at the time, accessed by anyone with nefarious intentions. Honestly I only posted them when a joint family celebration was coming up ( not mentioned with pix). I posted many more photos of family pets and home renos and I have my online security as locked down as possible. There are a couple of photos of me ( also decades old) and my husband ( decades old) and family members ( 50+ years old). Very boring amature family photos It has only been in the past five years that I’ve expanded my ‘friend’ list beyond a handful of friends to reach out to high school friends I lost touch with decades ago. I don’t even use my real name on FB. I have my profile as locked down as far as privacy goes as far as I can. People who are not my friends cannot see my stuff. People cannot friend request me.

Which is a long winded way to say that sometimes people are really really really naive about how their innocently intended actions can cause unforeseen and unintended repercussions.

People can be very dumb.

Early days of me being on Facebook ( keep in mind I was late to jump on board and then only after much pleading of friends) , I posted a couple of decades-old photos of my kids. It honestly never, ever, ever occurred to me that these could be used for any nefarious reasons. Or, at the time, accessed by anyone with nefarious intentions. Honestly I only posted them when a joint family celebration was coming up ( not mentioned with pix). I posted many more photos of family pets and home renos and I have my online security as locked down as possible. There are a couple of photos of me ( also decades old) and my husband ( decades old) and family members ( 50+ years old). Very boring amature family photos It has only been in the past five years that I’ve expanded my ‘friend’ list beyond a handful of friends to reach out to high school friends I lost touch with decades ago. I don’t even use my real name on FB. I have my profile as locked down as far as privacy goes as far as I can. People who are not my friends cannot see my stuff. People cannot friend request me.

Which is a long winded way to say that sometimes people are really really really naive about how their innocently intended actions can cause unforeseen and unintended repercussions.

People can be very dumb.
People can be evil on purpose, too, in ways that are, to regulatory interests, indistinguishable.

Take for instance the tiktok "mommy run channels" in the articles. I don't use tiktok because it always struck me as skeevy, but my husband does and even mentioned seeing some.channels that would post a video of like, her and her kids at the park and post the video with a pic of them eating a Popsicle, or bent over from behind while they pick something up, or some other such thing.

People will "bookmark" the video without liking it apparently, and some such videos have next to no likes but tons of bookmarks because bookmarks don't say who did it, so they don't expose the pedos watching.

At least with this legislation we can actually do something about it.

The most fucked up part is that I guarantee this will be used in coming times as a statistic to claim falsely that there is much awful child abuse happening here, rather than that we are finally catching the abusers here, where elsewhere they have free reign.

People can be very dumb.
People can be evil on purpose, too, in ways that are, to regulatory interests, indistinguishable.

Take for instance the tiktok "mommy run channels" in the articles. I don't use tiktok because it always struck me as skeevy, but my husband does and even mentioned seeing some.channels that would post a video of like, her and her kids at the park and post the video with a pic of them eating a Popsicle, or bent over from behind while they pick something up, or some other such thing.

People will "bookmark" the video without liking it apparently, and some such videos have next to no likes but tons of bookmarks because bookmarks don't say who did it, so they don't expose the pedos watching.

At least with this legislation we can actually do something about it.

The most fucked up part is that I guarantee this will be used in coming times as a statistic to claim falsely that there is much awful child abuse happening here, rather than that we are finally catching the abusers here, where elsewhere they have free reign.
Oh. I’m well aware of the fact that there are plenty of very skeezy people out there—posting and viewing for less than pristine to downright nefarious reasons.

I wish them good luck enforcing the law. I see too many intelligent, well educated and loving parents using devices as babysitters. It can seem or be innocent when the kids are very young and only on parent restricted children’s games but kids grow up and learn lightening fast but without adult experience to understand the dangers, which extend beyond pervs perking on the internet…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom