• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US Federal Gov't decriminalizing marijuana?

My brother in law told me he met a couple at a swap meet. They bought a couple used shipping containers and wired them up for grow rooms. Their first crop netted them $140,000.

That is less than it costs to get a seller's license here in CO. If they're selling illegally they are risking dire consequences.
The legal growers I know are paying young people $20/hr and up to clean buds... it's not the profiteering dream some imagine it to be. That work is grueling and end-of-the-day margins for the licensee are not fantastic.

My brother in law told me he met a couple at a swap meet. They bought a couple used shipping containers and wired them up for grow rooms. Their first crop netted them $140,000.

That is less than it costs to get a seller's license here in CO. If they're selling illegally they are risking dire consequences.
The legal growers I know are paying young people $20/hr and up to clean buds... it's not the profiteering dream some imagine it to be. That work is grueling and end-of-the-day margins for the licensee are not fantastic.

I did say netted, not profit.

And nope. Not selling illegally. They sell to the sellers. Like wholesaler to retailers.

My brother tried to sell some of his crop but was turned down after he told the seller he grows outdoors. That's illegal and he knows it. He's now constructing a greenhouse.

H.R.3617 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): MORE Act of 2021 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
This bill decriminalizes marijuana.

Specifically, it removes marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and eliminates criminal penalties for an individual who manufactures, distributes, or possesses marijuana.
Rep. Jerry Nadler introduced it, as he did the previous one, in 2019. It now has 100 cosponsors, 5 original, including one Republican: Matt Gaetz.

Other Republicans have now gotten into the act.
H.R.5977 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): To amend the controlled substances Act regarding marihuana, and for other purposes. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress Introduced last Monday by Rep. Nancy Mace, R-SC-01, it now has 4 cosponsors, all original -- and all Republicans.

H.R.3617 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): MORE Act of 2021 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
This bill decriminalizes marijuana.

Specifically, it removes marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and eliminates criminal penalties for an individual who manufactures, distributes, or possesses marijuana.
Rep. Jerry Nadler introduced it, as he did the previous one, in 2019. It now has 100 cosponsors, 5 original, including one Republican: Matt Gaetz.

Other Republicans have now gotten into the act.
H.R.5977 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): To amend the controlled substances Act regarding marihuana, and for other purposes. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress Introduced last Monday by Rep. Nancy Mace, R-SC-01, it now has 4 cosponsors, all original -- and all Republicans.
I picked the link, and text is not posted yet. It strikes me as downright criminal 100% of bill text as placed in front of congressmen is not as immediately available to the public as to Congress. Even so, I assume the text is identical to the 116's version of the bill.s

It strikes me that the former seems to be directed at elevating and removing the current infrastructures out of obscurity and possibly allowing the favored American passtime of "giving criminals political power" to take a new chapter.

The latter seems more to be "how do we legalize it whole allowing state legislatures to quietly force out "minority" groups from the financial apex of the market, even when they are the ones who built the whole GD market in the first place.

One would think this would be the type of bill that both parties would celebrate. Where is John Boehner when we need him? Come on John! Put down the joint and talk to your fellow Republicans about the profit one can make from cannabis.

I'm looking forward to the legalization of shrooms, too.

I don't necessarily want to legalize all drugs, just weed...and shrooms.

I would love to see weed and shrooms instantly decriminalized, and the communities most hurt by the drug war placed in charge of the new economic machine, as well a legalization of LSD.

I would like to also see legalization of MDMA for pharmacological use in psychiatric settings.

Some drugs such as certain "low drugs", heroin and meth I would see "use centers" built with caring staff, secure rooms, and strong oversight for

I would like to see all drugs decriminalised. The WOD has been a complete and utter failure. This is a health and human services problem, not a criminal one, at least at the end user stage.

Yes, continue to persue traffickers and sellers.

0505F9B9-5BB3-4F59-ADC6-98C46CE105BE.jpegThis year’s crop was great and educational. Probably the best plant ever. Only about3’ tall, planted in August but yielded at least a year’s supply. A new strain - Cali-Kush. Fragrant, and strong as hell.

@ZiprHead

I do see where you are coming from. Substance use disorders are serious illnesses, and throwing people that have those disorders into dysfunctional and dangerous environments like prisons is tantamount to throwing an anchor and chain to a drowning person.

The evils that have been inherent in the so-called "war on drugs" are exemplars of how evil moralizing really is. Teetotalism, especially teetotalist extremism, has had hideous results, and we will be several more generations stamping out that cancer.

View attachment 36163This year’s crop was great and educational. Probably the best plant ever. Only about3’ tall, planted in August but yielded at least a year’s supply. A new strain - Cali-Kush. Fragrant, and strong as hell.
I feel kind of so-so on the effects of regular use. I can indulge in the high with a friend that also enjoys it, but I prefer to reserve the experience for special occasions. Rather than using the plant regularly, I would rather stay clean most of the year and have memorable "couch-lock" experiences with friends that I care for deeply.

I realize that, for some people, regular use is clinically necessary.

Edit: I might add that if I do any kind of marijuana at all, I prefer an indica. I am already overstimulated. I prefer a chillout kind of high.

View attachment 36163This year’s crop was great and educational. Probably the best plant ever. Only about3’ tall, planted in August but yielded at least a year’s supply. A new strain - Cali-Kush. Fragrant, and strong as hell.
I feel kind of so-so on the effects of regular use. I can indulge in the high with a friend that also enjoys it, but I prefer to reserve the experience for special occasions. Rather than using the plant regularly, I would rather stay clean most of the year and have memorable "couch-lock" experiences with friends that I care for deeply.

I realize that, for some people, regular use is clinically necessary.
That’s totally understandable and reasonable imho. As is total abstinence. Or even constant use for some people.

For most of the decades that I have used pot on and off, I have similarly employed it as a “special occasion” indulgence. Now, not so much. Now it’s almost exclusively and quite regularly a bedtime thing for me. I don’t like being high when socializing, exercising, working … even hiking to some beautiful spot and getting high, which used to be my favorite way to use it, doesn’t work for me any more. But I do love it at night…
It’s an amazing plant, and I’m grateful for it.

If you want to get REALLY scientific, though, you turn towards "oils", "distillates" and "dabbing": someone discovered that owing to the solubility of volatile aromatics in liquid/supercritical CO2 you could selectively isolate them from the rest of the organic matter and then purge out the CO2 later.

Supercritical CO2? If whoever is handling it doesn't really know what they're doing I want to be far, far away. Mistakes with supercritical things tend to be spectacular. (And "mistakes" includes pressure vessels that aren't strong enough.)

I would love to see weed and shrooms instantly decriminalized, and the communities most hurt by the drug war placed in charge of the new economic machine, as well a legalization of LSD.

I would like to also see legalization of MDMA for pharmacological use in psychiatric settings.

Some drugs such as certain "low drugs", heroin and meth I would see "use centers" built with caring staff, secure rooms, and strong oversight for

I would make all recreational drugs (but not the date-rape drugs) legal in some fashion.

Anything without appreciable addiction potential should simply be legal, period. The highly addictive stuff I would like to see prescription only but the law explicitly state that addiction is a valid reason for a prescription. I'm not sure where to draw the line between the two categories. (And note that I would not have a problem with putting tobacco into the prescription category.)

I do not do drugs, I have no interest in doing drugs (and my few medical encounters with morphine leave me wondering what the druggies see in it.) It's just I believe the drug war does far more harm to society than the drugs do.

And quit this garbage of charging vast sums for a license. Sin taxes are bad for society because they make the government like the revenue.

If you want to get REALLY scientific, though, you turn towards "oils", "distillates" and "dabbing": someone discovered that owing to the solubility of volatile aromatics in liquid/supercritical CO2 you could selectively isolate them from the rest of the organic matter and then purge out the CO2 later.

Supercritical CO2? If whoever is handling it doesn't really know what they're doing I want to be far, far away. Mistakes with supercritical things tend to be spectacular. (And "mistakes" includes pressure vessels that aren't strong enough.)
It's actually what a lot of CO2 dry cleaning systems were repurposed for. They suck ass cleaning clothing but hey, great for making some grade A hash oil distillates.

It's an industrial process. Lots of industrial processes are like that, not something you do at home.

People butane, isopropyl, and various other solvents as well but the cleanest is CO2 for obvious reasons.

It's actually what a lot of CO2 dry cleaning systems were repurposed for. They suck ass cleaning clothing but hey, great for making some grade A hash oil distillates.

It's an industrial process. Lots of industrial processes are like that, not something you do at home.

People butane, isopropyl, and various other solvents as well but the cleanest is CO2 for obvious reasons.

Yeah, industrial engineer with an adequate budget, I'm fine with that.

Back
Top Bottom