• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

US Political Typology by Pew Research

Then what sort of population density that people like. "Would you prefer to live in a community where the houses are…"
  • "Larger and farther apart, but schools, stores, and restaurants are several miles away"
  • "Smaller and closer to each other, but schools, stores, and restaurants are within walking distance"
Then comparing the actual population density of where they live.

There was a strong correlation between wanting bigger and more separated houses and living in rural areas.

From bigger houses / more rural to smaller houses / more urban, FFC, PR, (CC, AR, SS), DM, (OL, EL), PL

The overall average was between (CC, AR, SS) and DM, though closer to the triplet.

Both Adam Smith and Peter Kropotkin had ideas that I can use. I am slightly partial to Max Weber's approach to sociology, compared with his contemporaries. I believe that Knut Wicksell was one of the most talented synthesis thinkers in modern history. I resent being called a Marxist: I am more sympathetic toward non-Marxist approaches to communist philosophy, and even then, I consider none of them to be gospel. Do not call me a "libertarian": I prefer to be called a "moderate anarchist," and even on that, my opinions are nuanced.

I believe that we could learn something from the principles that govern Nordic trade unions, but I am open to the idea of those principles being used in a variety different ways, rather than merely replicating something else. While unions are not a bad idea, in principle, the American labor movement is not one that has succeeded at winning my confidence. The Nordic trade unions have succeeded at becoming an integral part of a modern, technologically advanced knowledge economy, and ours have not, and until ours have made serious reforms, preferably based on the Nordic model, I cannot feel confident toward the ones that currently exist in my own country.

I believe that a state monopoly is likely to have all of the same problems as any other monopoly. I see a corporate monopoly as just another monopoly, and I dislike it for the same reasons why I dislike a state monopoly. A monopoly is a monopoly is a monopoly. At least I get to vote on who gets to run my government: that's more than I can say for some business magnate that might as well be an unelected despot, but I really don't like anybody having too much centralized, entrenched power because it kills competition. I like competition in principle. The primary motivation for people to do extraordinary things is in order to humiliate and upstage each other in fair contests of awesome.

As a matter of fact, I do not believe that the United States is one of the greatest countries in the world. To tell you the truth, I believe that Finland and Iceland just barely pass muster, and everybody else is either outright embarrassing or beyond redemption. If I were indigenous to their countries, I would not think I was a great nation, though. I would still think there was a long way left to go. There are probably space aliens out there that have the jump on us, and if we do not pull our shit together fast, then they are never going to let us live it down. I am not worried about the Chinese, my friends. I am worried about the real aliens. They are out there claiming all the good real estate, and if we don't catch up with those green-skinned motherfuckers, then there won't be anything left on the bone for us humans.

Or our dogs. Or crows. I like crows.

Oh, believe me, I would just LOVE for the rich elites to pay a larger share of taxes than they already do, but at some point, we have to talk them into it. That is a point of realism that most liberals miss, and the fact that they keep on missing it makes me want to beat them with a cane. Much as I like the idea of a substantially more ambitiously progressive government, we need rich allies in order to really make that scenario work. If you want to expand the government's progressive policies, you need to get people like Bezos, Musk, Page, Brin, and Gates interested in whatever it is that you are doing, and if you cannot succeed at attracting their interest, then you are going to lose the fucking election. Stop alienating the billionaires, liberals, or Sigma is going to come kick your butts and bodily bend you into pretzels, capiche? I want big, muscular, progressive butt-kicking to be done by my government, but the reality is that, in order for that idea to work, you need to have strong and enthusiastic allies among the elites. I don't care how you win them over. Suck their dicks, for all that I care. Liberals, stop treating rich people like your enemies: we need their fucking money, and if you think you're going to just take it from them by force, then that is fucking hilarious. The social contract, deep down, really requires voluntary and peaceful cooperation by most of the powers involved. While we can handle a handful of rich malcontents, you are sabotaging everything we progressives are trying to do if your rhetoric is likely to make them unify against us as a solid political bloc.

The best way to describe my political ideology is "too fucking psycho to really pinpoint," but "eclectic clusterfuck," "ramblings of a grinning Cheshire cat," or "nightmarishly jumbled hodgepodge of elitist intellectualism" would do. If you don't like it, well, FYIAD. If I choose to believe that I am a parrot-sized black dragon with glowing green eyes, then you should assume that that is what I believe until I have given you notice to the contrary. Once it has been established that I am allowed to believe that I am an adorable shoulder-dragon if that is what I take it into my lunatic head to believe, then I am willing to engage you in more in-depth discussion, but fair warning: the inside of my mind is a bit of a magic mushroom kingdom.

This quiz says that I am "progressive left," but when I was reading through the questions on that quiz, I think they really missed a substantial amount of the fine nuances in my positions. I have explained some of that nuance here in the above unhinged tirade. Furthermore, I think that the statements about whether or not the United States is a "great nation" was misleading. I think that the US has the potential to be a fucking juggernaut, and I really love this country. That love is not uncritical, though. It is not love to ever be happy to see someone fail to do what you believe they are capable of doing. If your country does not live up to its full potential, then that should make you deeply sad. That is why nationalism is misguided. Nationalism is the uncritical and ultimately selfish love of a permissive parent, and that is really a tragedy. That was my primary gripe with the quiz, but I will admit that the quiz is a fair start on giving us opportunity to express greater nuance.

I will note that the one question on the quiz that would put me into the "Establishment Liberals" category, upon spending a while experimenting with various possible answers that might be accurate with nuance and caveats, is how I feel about the "greatness" of the United States. That question just is not fair. I love this country. I hold up foreign examples of how we could make the country better because I genuinely think that my country is capable of doing better. I think we could be one of the best if we chose to be, but it is continually disappointing that we will not take the plunge to commit ourselves to doing better.

I noticed that "Establishment Liberals" tend to be more racially diverse. That doesn't surprise me. The truth is that if you or your family are from some place like Latin America or if they are descended from Jewish-Hungarians that fled from Trotskyism or otherwise went to the trouble of moving to this country and learning a new language, then your people are here because they chose to be here, and they chose to be here because they saw great potential in this country. I don't really disagree with them. My criticism of this country comes from a place of love. When I think about my country, I think like a parent that pushes her kid to be an overachiever. Sure, that might stress out the kid, but if you combine that with love and an open mind, then that kid can turn out to be a genuinely special sort of person. You ought to think of your nation in the same way.

Nationalism is really a fallacy. Even if you live in a relatively pleasant country like Iceland or Finland, you should not be satisfied. You should always want your people to work harder to make you proud. You should always look at some of the things that other countries do better than yours, and say to your people, "Why can't you do that?" The idea that they can't is a lie. The phrase "That won't work here" is the biggest load of shamefully repugnant horse-hooey. My problem with nationalism is that it constitutes cheap praise.

Last edited:
I really hate the "Big government vs small government" phony issue. Plenty of conservatives want big government, to enforce their morality and religious views. They have just been sold on the 'small government' talking point to keep gov out of regulating businesses and the wealthy.

What is really needed is effective government. One that can take care of the issues that it needs to, like security, disaster relief, infrastructure, etc.. The real disagreement is what areas of economic and social issues it should be involved in and to what extent.

Some use the argument that government should be small/weak enough to do X, because that would be a violation of your rights. But to me it looks like a government that is incapable of doing X would also be too small/weak to do Y and Z which would protect your rights. Its like arguing a country shouldn't have a military because a military can be used to oppress the people.. ok, but then you don't have a military to protect you when Putin decides that the people really want to be part of Russia.

*whew* pardon my mini rant

The irony of your mini~rant and the hypertensively of the pseudo-libertarian horde's fear of the federal government intrusion in their personal rights is that the main threat to their rights is from their main sponsors, the private corporations, worming their way into our private lives to generate ever more accurate advertising with which to bombard us. And the only hope to reduce it is regulation by the federal government that they have made nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom