• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Utah Social Media Regulation Act

It Takes a Mormon

Utah Governor Cox signs legislation limiting minors access to social media.
-Parental permission
-Limited hours
-Age verification
-Ban on ads
It's about goddamn time.

Governor Cox ain't all bad. Guns-Yes. Abortion-No. LGBTQ - Surprisingly a human being.

I'm totally good with this as a concept. I'd love to see kids better protected from some of the hideous crap on the internet.

The devil is in the details. When we, as a society, created the internet and raised a generation of kids more computer savvy than their parents, we opened a huge Pandora's Box. I don't see a feasible way to shove those demons back in and close the lid.
Tom

Here are some questions...

How will they define "social media?" So would it include something very harmful like IIDB (haha, no really, that is harmful in the eyes of religious)? How about video games with messaging systems like warcraft? Video game platforms with messaging like say playstation? Innoccuous Club Penguin for little kids? Pokemon Go? Most video games these days have things where you can make friends... How about things like whatsapp which isn't quite on the Internet but is on the phone? Snapchat? Kids are sexting and joining group chats on phone sans Internet and so how much of that is encompassed by this bill? bullying often happens thru phone but not on twitter or facebook.

Next question: Utah is making the age 18. Other states like Connecticut are making it 16 which happens to be the age of consent in CT. Should it be 16 or 18 or some other age?

Finally, can states actually do this to international companies? I mean, they can try, but these aren't companies incorporated in their state but some other state and this seems to fall under interstate commerce, making the US congress legislation more applicable. Or is that wrong?

Sounds like bad news to me. Kids should have the right to free speech no matter what their parents or local officials (whom they can't vote for) think about it.

Sounds like bad news to me. Kids should have the right to free speech no matter what their parents or local officials (whom they can't vote for) think about it.

This isn't about a kids right to speak.

It's about protecting kids from the ugly stuff other people post and such.
Tom

How many other rights should kids have no matter what their parents or local officials think about it?

How many other rights should kids have no matter what their parents or local officials think about it?
All of the ones guaranteed to them by the constituition.

All of the ones guaranteed to them by the constituition.
So, you think kids should have guns no matter what their parents think?

Here are some questions...

How will they define "social media?" So would it include something very harmful like IIDB (haha, no really, that is harmful in the eyes of religious)? How about video games with messaging systems like warcraft? Video game platforms with messaging like say playstation? Innoccuous Club Penguin for little kids? Pokemon Go? Most video games these days have things where you can make friends... How about things like whatsapp which isn't quite on the Internet but is on the phone? Snapchat? Kids are sexting and joining group chats on phone sans Internet and so how much of that is encompassed by this bill? bullying often happens thru phone but not on twitter or facebook.

Next question: Utah is making the age 18. Other states like Connecticut are making it 16 which happens to be the age of consent in CT. Should it be 16 or 18 or some other age?

Finally, can states actually do this to international companies? I mean, they can try, but these aren't companies incorporated in their state but some other state and this seems to fall under interstate commerce, making the US congress legislation more applicable. Or is that wrong?
Minors (18 or lower as per state law) have the right to healthcare, education, basic needs, and safety. I don’t think there are any transactional rights between them and any business.

Can children sue their parents? I think I got pretty good guidance from my parents and I depended on their care, of course. But did they own me? Social Services may need to put themselves on heightened alert as lots of kids are brighter than their parents.

Back
Top Bottom