• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Video of woman begging people to NOT call an ambulance

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
It's not the doctor, it's the ambulance. Unless it's a heart attack or very serious bleeding, i would decline the meat wagon, too

Took one last month. Learned that my insurance consid ers it "out if network." So the $3400°° just for showing up, an $66/mile was on me.

So, not I'd Rather Suffer, it's gimme the keys, for $3525, i can make it.... i mean, if medical attention can wait 15 minutes, that's three house payments.

It's not the doctor, it's the ambulance. Unless it's a heart attack or very serious bleeding, i would decline the meat wagon, too

Took one last month. Learned that my insurance consid ers it "out if network." So the $3400°° just for showing up, an $66/mile was on me.

So, not I'd Rather Suffer, it's gimme the keys, for $3525, i can make it.... i mean, if medical attention can wait 15 minutes, that's three house payments.
Simply put, people shouldn't need to be performing a cost benefit analysis together when trying to figure out if they should take an ambulance.

I can appreciate insurance companies not wanting to pay for emergency rides that weren't emergency rides, but money is often a reason why people don't seek medical attention. It is seriously messed up.

And yet, if you are on Medicaid you can treat ambulances like a free taxi service, as long as you don't make it too obvious.
Woman Used Ambulance Like a Taxi, Ignoring the Social Contract
Ah, and you ”can” rob banks, you ”can” murder, etc.
There are many things you ”can” do ”as long as you don’t make it too obvious”

Ambulance and medical care should be free, or at least so cheap that it doesnt have to think wether you afford it or not.

So the $3400°° just for showing up, an $66/mile was on me.

WOW. That much for an ambulance ride alone? And Obama still wouldn't push for Single Payer? That's seriously fucked up. I had no idea it was that bad. I though it would be $100 or $200 tops.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet, if you are on Medicaid you can treat ambulances like a free taxi service, as long as you don't make it too obvious.

I can do that right now right here (in Ontario). So can all my neighbours. I know nobody who has ever done it. Why would they?

There will always be cases analoguous like this one where unscrupulous people take advantage of a program or law. If these types of outcomes are too frequent, they indicate that a tweak or major change is required. If they are not, then snowflakes need to chill out.

Another example of pricing being out of control and unrelated to actual care given. I can tell you this, it's not the paramedic's salary that makes a ride so expensive. I wanted to be a paramedic, until I found out what they make.

Another example of pricing being out of control and unrelated to actual care given. I can tell you this, it's not the paramedic's salary that makes a ride so expensive. I wanted to be a paramedic, until I found out what they make.

The thing with ambulances is that you're not paying for what you get, but for the availability. Thus any attempt to compare what you got vs the costs of what you got is going to come up with a big mismatch.

The thing with ambulances is that you're not paying for what you get, but for the availability. Thus any attempt to compare what you got vs the costs of what you got is going to come up with a big mismatch.
But what drove the woman in the OP was comparing what was available to what she thought she needed.

That's the comparison to make. Do I need that much tech, drugs, training, to even make it to the ER.

Gotta say, seeing the board this was on, the thread title, current events, and the OP author, I initially assumed this would be about a racist white lady begging an ambulance not to take a black person for medical treatment.

Gotta say, seeing the board this was on, the thread title, current events, and the OP author, I initially assumed this would be about a racist white lady begging an ambulance not to take a black person for medical treatment.

I saw something like that in Atlanta.

But what drove the woman in the OP was comparing what was available to what she thought she needed.

That's the comparison to make. Do I need that much tech, drugs, training, to even make it to the ER.

Exactly. Most people that go by ambulance would do just as well if someone drove them.

Surprisingly, even for very serious injuries this is very often true if the transportation is immediately available--the time saved by toss them in the back seat and go is better than waiting for an ambulance even considering that the ambulance can go somewhat faster.

Back
Top Bottom