• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Video series on Kalam refutation

That's why it's a two-pronged dilemma. You can avoid the sharpness of one of the prongs by leaping onto the other prong. Or vice-versa.

And if you can do so on different days, then you can command handsome speaking fees and book deals.

The thing that terrifies me is that they don't actually have to do it on different days. They can do one after the other within minutes to a sea of nodding heads and proclamations of "amen!"

That's why it's a two-pronged dilemma. You can avoid the sharpness of one of the prongs by leaping onto the other prong. Or vice-versa.

And if you can do so on different days, then you can command handsome speaking fees and book deals.

The thing that terrifies me is that they don't actually have to do it on different days. They can do one after the other within minutes to a sea of nodding heads and proclamations of "amen!"

Well, yes. Some people think, once an objection has been answered, then it's been answered successfully.

Well, yes. Some people think, once an objection has been answered, then it's been answered successfully.

In fairness it's much easier to think that if the answer is in agreement with what one already thinks. And I will readily admit that this principle applies to both sides of any given argument. Personally I am no longer a theist in part because of the inability for these types of rationalizations to stand in proximity to each other.

In fairness it's much easier to think that if the answer is in agreement with what one already thinks. And I will readily admit that this principle applies to both sides of any given argument. Personally I am no longer a theist in part because of the inability for these types of rationalizations to stand in proximity to each other.

Confirmation bias is something we are all vulnerable to. I know what confirmation bias is, and I know why it's bad, but I still catch myself doing it from time to time. :(

I can confirm other people have confirmation bias. I see it all the time.

Craig really lost me when he argued that the slaughter of Canaanite infants was a good thing, because they got ushered straight into Heaven. Hooray! But the real victims in that story were the Hebrew soldiers. Think of the PTSD they must have suffered after killing babies!

Never mind that Craig just excused abortion and infanticide in any context, and if the soldiers were doing something that made them morally sick, then it must not have been moral, even if it was commanded by Jehovah.

[YOUTUBE]aUMzYA3XSEc[/YOUTUBE]

Yep. Divine Command Theory is a form of moral relativism so extreme as to actually be incoherent.
I don't see why, as long as the murdering crusaders have a signed affidavit from God. They had a signed affidavit, right?

Yep. Divine Command Theory is a form of moral relativism so extreme as to actually be incoherent.
I don't see why, as long as the murdering crusaders have a signed affidavit from God. They had a signed affidavit, right?

Oh, absolutely. It was written in their hearts. That's how they knew they were in the right.

Just like the Inquisitors knew they were right.

Just like the Islamic State knows that they are doing God's work.

Or those three God Warriors in Kansas who tried to start a holy war.

Some days I despair that Christianity and Islam will never change.

Back
Top Bottom