• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Virus? Don't be a sissy pansy!

I’m sorry, but that’s just nonsense.

I'm sorry, but it's really not.

It's true even if you find it impossible to believe.

Lots of people do find it impossible to believe, because in their early life they were convinced (often with good reason) that it was a huge problem; And people are VERY bad at changing their beliefs for such trivial reasons as there being overwhelming evidence that they are out of date, inaccurate, or just plain wrong.

But it's true nonetheless. Population growth isn't a problem, and within a few decades, won't even be a thing (unless something very radical happens to invert current trends).

If world population stopped increasing today, there'd still be problems (in fact there already are, very serious ones). As it is, it's set to reach over 11 billion (that's the median projection) before the end of this century.

To say that either population numbers, population increase or population growth is not a problem is daft, even if the growth rate is slowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBT

Lots of people do find it impossible to believe, because in their early life they were convinced (often with good reason) that it was a huge problem; And people are VERY bad at changing their beliefs for such trivial reasons as there being overwhelming evidence that they are out of date, inaccurate, or just plain wrong.

But it's true nonetheless. Population growth isn't a problem, and within a few decades, won't even be a thing (unless something very radical happens to invert current trends).
I don't believe you. I don't think humans, as a species, have the will/self control/whatever to actually curb population growth.

It's not a matter of belief, it is a matter of data. The population growth rate has been going down since the early '70s, and is currently just over 1.1% contrasted with just over 2.1% in 1971. Many first world countries have a negative growth rate. Of course there are more people now, so an equal growth rate would be adding more people than it was in 1971. The good news is that the trend is down as more people in more countries gain access to effective contraception. So long as nothing changes for the worse in that regard, the balance will eventually tip to a worldwide negative growth rate. In the mean time we are still adding more people, and there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

I don't believe you. I don't think humans, as a species, have the will/self control/whatever to actually curb population growth.

Observed demographic changes in the last sixty years say you are wrong. So I couldn't care less whether or not you believe me. You are free to choose to believe me (or better, to believe the evidence); or to be wrong. It matters little to me which option you select.

It's not a matter of belief, it is a matter of data. The population growth rate has been going down since the early '70s, and is currently just over 1.1% contrasted with just over 2.1% in 1971. Many first world countries have a negative growth rate. Of course there are more people now, so an equal growth rate would be adding more people than it was in 1971. The good news is that the trend is down as more people in more countries gain access to effective contraception. So long as nothing changes for the worse in that regard, the balance will eventually tip to a worldwide negative growth rate. In the mean time we are still adding more people, and there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

Too many people and too few resources in a locality isn't the cause of misery; If it was, the worst places in the world would be such hell holes as Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, The Netherlands, and Manhattan.

Too many people and too few resources in a locality isn't the cause of misery; If it was, the worst places in the world would be such hell holes as Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, The Netherlands, and Manhattan.

Of course it is, it just isn't necessarily the case, and the reason for the lack of resources for those people is almost always an external factor.

Of course it is, it just isn't necessarily the case, and the reason for the lack of resources for those people is almost always an external factor.

You can't have it both ways. Either overcrowding is a big problem that is related to the sheer size of the world population (or the national population), in which case those places I listed should be hellholes; Or there are solutions that can be (and have been) applied that render overcrowding a non issue.

Hint: It's the latter.

Population isn't the cause of overcrowding (people have been choosing to crowd together since the industrial revolution); And even if it were, overcrowding isn't in itself a problem - it's perfectly possible to have a very crowded city with an excellent quality of life.

The places where you see problems and overcrowding simultaneously are places with insufficient infrastructure. The crowding isn't the problem, the lack of infrastructure is.

People are flooding into cities for their infrastructure - which is better than rural infrastructure in almost all cases.

Living in a Mumbai slum is shit, compared with living in Manhattan, but population density isn't the reason. The quality of life in rural India is far worse than either, despite far lower population density. That's why so many rural Indians choose to move to the city.

You can't have it both ways. Either overcrowding is a big problem that is related to the sheer size of the world population (or the national population), in which case those places I listed should be hellholes; Or there are solutions that can be (and have been) applied that render overcrowding a non issue.

I never said that there weren't solutions available, but the fact remains that there are places where those solutions are not being implemented, and those places face food insecurity and starvation. That is the face of misery that people see, and some will attribute it to overpopulation because many of those places are indeed overcrowded. This is evidenced by some of the posts seen in this very thread.

Population isn't the cause of overcrowding (people have been choosing to crowd together since the industrial revolution); And even if it were, overcrowding isn't in itself a problem - it's perfectly possible to have a very crowded city with an excellent quality of life.

The places where you see problems and overcrowding simultaneously are places with insufficient infrastructure. The crowding isn't the problem, the lack of infrastructure is.

People are flooding into cities for their infrastructure - which is better than rural infrastructure in almost all cases.

Living in a Mumbai slum is shit, compared with living in Manhattan, but population density isn't the reason. The quality of life in rural India is far worse than either, despite far lower population density. That's why so many rural Indians choose to move to the city.

I don't disagree with any of that, but there are people who clearly do, and they believe what they are saying. They believe it because they see people starving in places that are overcrowded, and you will have a hard time convincing them not to believe what they see. What they are not seeing, however, is the actual reason for the overcrowding and starvation on the TV screen when Sally Struthers is begging them for a few dollars a day to solve the problem.

I never said that there weren't solutions available, but the fact remains that there are places where those solutions are not being implemented, and those places face food insecurity and starvation. That is the face of misery that people see, and some will attribute it to overpopulation because many of those places are indeed overcrowded. This is evidenced by some of the posts seen in this very thread.

I don't disagree with any of that, but there are people who clearly do, and they believe what they are saying. They believe it because they see people starving in places that are overcrowded, and you will have a hard time convincing them not to believe what they see. What they are not seeing, however, is the actual reason for the overcrowding and starvation on the TV screen when Sally Struthers is begging them for a few dollars a day to solve the problem.

Overcrowding isn't overpopulation; And the hypothesis that overcrowding is a direct cause of squalor and misery is exploded by observation.

So the hypothesis that overpopulation is the cause of squalor and misery is totally debunked.

Lots of people believe things that are untrue, and this is very easily shown to be one such belief.

Correlation doesn't imply causation; But the absence of correlation assuredly does imply the absence of causation.

Quality of life for humans worldwide doesn't exhibit a decline with increasing total population (which we should expect if your hypothesis were true). In fact, it has shown a sharp increase, simultaneously with a sharp increase in world population since the 1850s.

Quality of life for humans locally doesn't exhibit a decline with increasing population density (which we should expect if the alternative hypothesis, that overcrowding, and not overpopulation, was the real problem). The places I listed earlier are all examples of this fact.

It's not so much a case of 'other factors are involved ', as it is 'other factors are ALL that is involved'.

We have yet to approach population or population density levels at which it is impossible for us to live well. Of course, it's possible to live poorly under any level of population or population density.

The solution to the problems of squalor and crowding are technology and infrastructure, as the Japanese, Dutch, Manhattanites, Londoners and others can attest. In the absence of these solutions, life is shot no matter how few neighbours you have, or how few people inhabit the planet.

...Population growth is not a current problem....
The world already produces enough food for all the people who will ever occupy it; And famine (as it was known in the 19th and 20th centuries) disappeared in the mid-1980s, and hasn't been seen since. The only remaining famines are small scale and are directly attributable to war and civil conflicts, not to any lack of food.

Population is NOT a problem, and saying that it's a problem is a BIG problem. Stop saying it. It's no longer true.

First prove your case, then psychologize your unbelievers. Starvation is not the only way for overpopulation to do harm. Eight billion people make it hard to maintain six foot separation during epidemics. Eight billion people make it hard for refugees to find refuge. Eight billion people turn rainforests into agricultural land and drive thousands of rare species extinct. Eight billion people discard a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere. It's one thing to argue that due to the Pill, the problem is well in hand so we don't need to do anything more about it than we're already doing; but to say it's not a problem is a much stronger claim, and is just nonsense. Eight billion people are still a current problem; eleven billion people will be a bigger problem; therefore population growth is still a current problem.

The good news is that the trend is down as more people in more countries gain access to effective contraception. So long as nothing changes for the worse in that regard, the balance will eventually tip to a worldwide negative growth rate. In the mean time we are still adding more people, and there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

What kind of argument is that? All those places are jam-packed with resources! What, do you think all the people of Nicaragua could squeeze into Managua without worsening their misery, because Singapore?!?

Singapore works because Singapore has all the trade goods it needs to persuade outsiders to bring six million Singaporeans the myriad things they need to prosper in a city. But what resources do six million Nicaraguans have to trade, that would give the rest of the world a reason to bring that amount of supplies to Managua? Of course too many people and too few resources in a locality is a cause of misery.

First prove your case, then psychologize your unbelievers. Starvation is not the only way for overpopulation to do harm. Eight billion people make it hard to maintain six foot separation during epidemics.
At 15 people per sq km, it's not even vaguely hard to maintain a six foot separation. The problem you are raising is a problem of crowding, not population, and was arguably worse in the 19th Century (with far lower population, but fewer transport options) than it is today.
Eight billion people make it hard for refugees to find refuge.
Not really. That's a political problem. Whether or not there's a destination to flee to that is kinder and more welcoming than your origin is independent of world population.
Eight billion people turn rainforests into agricultural land and drive thousands of rare species extinct.
Perhaps. But there's nothing about higher population levels that makes this necessarily true. Urbanisation reduces resource use, and technology reduces the per capita land required for agriculture - so much so that less land is farmed today than in the mid twentieth century, despite massive population increases and significant reductions in famine.
Eight billion people discard a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere.
Sure; But one billion release enough to be problematic - unless they stop doing it (eg by swapping coal for nuclear power), at which point it's no longer much of a problem. If CO2 emissions lead to a catastrophe in a century with 8 billion, then it will also lead to a catastrophe in two centuries with 4 billion, ceteris paribus.
It's one thing to argue that due to the Pill, the problem is well in hand so we don't need to do anything more about it than we're already doing; but to say it's not a problem is a much stronger claim, and is just nonsense.
It really isn't. All of the problems are amenable to solutions regardless of absolute world population being at the top or bottom of the 1-11 billion range.
Eight billion people are still a current problem; eleven billion people will be a bigger problem; therefore population growth is still a current problem.
Sure. But not enough bigger to be worthy of serious concern; Certainly not enough to justify draconian constraints on people's freedom to choose their family sizes. All of the proposed cures are FAR worse than the assumed problem.
The good news is that the trend is down as more people in more countries gain access to effective contraception. So long as nothing changes for the worse in that regard, the balance will eventually tip to a worldwide negative growth rate. In the mean time we are still adding more people, and there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

What kind of argument is that? All those places are jam-packed with resources! What, do you think all the people of Nicaragua could squeeze into Managua without worsening their misery, because Singapore?!?

Singapore works because Singapore has all the trade goods it needs to persuade outsiders to bring six million Singaporeans the myriad things they need to prosper in a city. But what resources do six million Nicaraguans have to trade, that would give the rest of the world a reason to bring that amount of supplies to Managua? Of course too many people and too few resources in a locality is a cause of misery.

Nope. Economic inequality is the cause of the issues. Rich people don't have a problem with crowded or sparse conditions; poor people have problems in both crowded and sparse conditions; therefore the problem is one of wealth, not of population density.

Wealth is a consequence of technology and innovation, more than of resources (at least since the Industrial Revolution). Economic growth is increasingly independent of resource use; And resource extraction is increasingly more important than agricultural production as a means to wealth.

Our impact on the lithosphere is tiny - mines constitute a negligible fraction of the Earth. Multiplying that by ten leaves a still negligible fraction of mineral resources under extraction.

Sure, it's a "bigger problem" mathematically; But if you have a million dollars, a dollar for a coke isn't a problem, and nor is $1.10. Despite the fact that the $1.10 coke is technically more expensive.

At 15 people per sq km, it's not even vaguely hard to maintain a six foot separation.
That's not a substantive argument. You must now as well as I do that if 15 people occupied each square kilometer then 29% of us would starve and 70% of us would have drowned first.

The problem you are raising is a problem of crowding, not population, and was arguably worse in the 19th Century (with far lower population, but fewer transport options) than it is today.
Did epidemics look like this in the 19th century?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F53c12db2-5e34-11ea-ac5e-df00963c20e6

The distinction between crowding and population is not as clear cut as you're treating it. Keeping eight billion people alive requires big cities. 19th-century cities had lower populations, shorter buildings, and more farmland to expand into between them and the next city.

Not really. That's a political problem. Whether or not there's a destination to flee to that is kinder and more welcoming than your origin is independent of world population.
Show your work. You think 19th-century America's willingness to take nearly everybody who wanted to come was independent of the westward-propagating frontier and the perception that the country was mostly empty?

Eight billion people turn rainforests into agricultural land and drive thousands of rare species extinct.
Perhaps. But there's nothing about higher population levels that makes this necessarily true. Urbanisation reduces resource use, and technology reduces the per capita land required for agriculture - so much so that less land is farmed today than in the mid twentieth century, despite massive population increases and significant reductions in famine.
What's your source for that? According to Wikipedia it's gone up about 30% since 1950.

1200px-Agricultural_area_over_the_long-term%2C_OWID.svg.png

In any event, regardless of what's necessarily true, and regardless of what could be solved with better technology, the rainforest is being destroyed and the wildlife is being killed off, right now, because of eight billion people.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...area-forest-size-of-uk-each-year-report-finds

Sure; But one billion release enough to be problematic - unless they stop doing it (eg by swapping coal for nuclear power), at which point it's no longer much of a problem. If CO2 emissions lead to a catastrophe in a century with 8 billion, then it will also lead to a catastrophe in two centuries with 4 billion, ceteris paribus.
That's not how it works. First, because an extra century until X ppm CO2 means an extra century for human, animal and plant life to reposition ourselves into patterns that can tolerate higher temperatures. Second, because an extra century until X ppm CO2 means an extra century to persuade the billions of idiots we live among that nuclear power is safer than coal power. And third, because the earth is capable of sequestering excess CO2 at a certain rate, and it's net CO2 increase that matters, not gross CO2.

It's one thing to argue that due to the Pill, the problem is well in hand so we don't need to do anything more about it than we're already doing; but to say it's not a problem is a much stronger claim, and is just nonsense.
It really isn't. All of the problems are amenable to solutions regardless of absolute world population being at the top or bottom of the 1-11 billion range.
And Vulcans are going to land among us and teach us to usher in a golden age. Just because the obstacles to solving a problem are political and economic and technical rather than the Second Law of Thermodynamics doesn't mean we can just dismiss those obstacles. "It's not a problem because we can just build a nuclear reactor." isn't a useful argument when you can't actually get people to build a nuclear reactor. "Amenable to solutions" and 55 cents gets you a first class stamp.

Eight billion people are still a current problem; eleven billion people will be a bigger problem; therefore population growth is still a current problem.
Sure. But not enough bigger to be worthy of serious concern; Certainly not enough to justify draconian constraints on people's freedom to choose their family sizes. All of the proposed cures are FAR worse than the assumed problem.
How would a little cultural change be far worse than 2.5 ppm CO2 per year? The talking heads who spread memes into the public's minds could stop politely pretending that your third child isn't a bigger contribution to global warming than your car. Is it too much to ask that people be informed of the facts and invited to think globally when acting locally in choosing their family size?

... there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

Nope. Economic inequality is the cause of the issues.
That's no more an answer than "15 people per sq km". You must know as well as I do that if wealth were redistributed equally then most of us would starve and most of the rest would have been murdered first.

Rich people don't have a problem with crowded or sparse conditions; poor people have problems in both crowded and sparse conditions; therefore the problem is one of wealth, not of population density.
And a region with a billion dollars doesn't have a problem if there are a ten thousand people there and does if there are ten million; therefore the problem is one of population density, not of wealth. And it's the top blade of the scissors that cuts the paper, not the bottom blade. KT didn't say misery comes from too many people; he said it comes from too many people and too few resources. It's the conjunction of the two factors that determines rich or poor.

Wealth is a consequence of technology and innovation, more than of resources (at least since the Industrial Revolution). Economic growth is increasingly independent of resource use; And resource extraction is increasingly more important than agricultural production as a means to wealth.

Our impact on the lithosphere is tiny - mines constitute a negligible fraction of the Earth. Multiplying that by ten leaves a still negligible fraction of mineral resources under extraction.
You say that as though "resources" means mines and farmland. Mines and farmland constitute a negligible fraction of the resources Singapore is jam-packed with, and imported minerals and food aren't much more of it. The chief resource Singapore is jam-packed with -- the resource outsiders bring minerals and food to Singapore to trade for -- is Singaporeans' skill set. In order for eleven billion people to live as well or better than eight billion do now, with more food per person and fewer refugees and more wildlife and less CO2, what's most needed isn't equality or new technology and innovation. What's most needed is to teach Nicaraguans to think more like Singaporeans.

That's not a substantive argument. You must now as well as I do that if 15 people occupied each square kilometer then 29% of us would starve and 70% of us would have drowned first.

Did epidemics look like this in the 19th century?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F53c12db2-5e34-11ea-ac5e-df00963c20e6

The distinction between crowding and population is not as clear cut as you're treating it. Keeping eight billion people alive requires big cities. 19th-century cities had lower populations, shorter buildings, and more farmland to expand into between them and the next city.

Show your work. You think 19th-century America's willingness to take nearly everybody who wanted to come was independent of the westward-propagating frontier and the perception that the country was mostly empty?

What's your source for that? According to Wikipedia it's gone up about 30% since 1950.

1200px-Agricultural_area_over_the_long-term%2C_OWID.svg.png

In any event, regardless of what's necessarily true, and regardless of what could be solved with better technology, the rainforest is being destroyed and the wildlife is being killed off, right now, because of eight billion people.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...area-forest-size-of-uk-each-year-report-finds

That's not how it works. First, because an extra century until X ppm CO2 means an extra century for human, animal and plant life to reposition ourselves into patterns that can tolerate higher temperatures. Second, because an extra century until X ppm CO2 means an extra century to persuade the billions of idiots we live among that nuclear power is safer than coal power. And third, because the earth is capable of sequestering excess CO2 at a certain rate, and it's net CO2 increase that matters, not gross CO2.

And Vulcans are going to land among us and teach us to usher in a golden age. Just because the obstacles to solving a problem are political and economic and technical rather than the Second Law of Thermodynamics doesn't mean we can just dismiss those obstacles. "It's not a problem because we can just build a nuclear reactor." isn't a useful argument when you can't actually get people to build a nuclear reactor. "Amenable to solutions" and 55 cents gets you a first class stamp.

How would a little cultural change be far worse than 2.5 ppm CO2 per year? The talking heads who spread memes into the public's minds could stop politely pretending that your third child isn't a bigger contribution to global warming than your car. Is it too much to ask that people be informed of the facts and invited to think globally when acting locally in choosing their family size?

... there are places where there are too many people and too few resources, leading to a lot of misery, so that is hard to ignore.

Nope. Economic inequality is the cause of the issues.
That's no more an answer than "15 people per sq km". You must know as well as I do that if wealth were redistributed equally then most of us would starve and most of the rest would have been murdered first.

Rich people don't have a problem with crowded or sparse conditions; poor people have problems in both crowded and sparse conditions; therefore the problem is one of wealth, not of population density.
And a region with a billion dollars doesn't have a problem if there are a ten thousand people there and does if there are ten million; therefore the problem is one of population density, not of wealth. And it's the top blade of the scissors that cuts the paper, not the bottom blade. KT didn't say misery comes from too many people; he said it comes from too many people and too few resources. It's the conjunction of the two factors that determines rich or poor.

You say that as though "resources" means mines and farmland. Mines and farmland constitute a negligible fraction of the resources Singapore is jam-packed with, and imported minerals and food aren't much more of it. The chief resource Singapore is jam-packed with -- the resource outsiders bring minerals and food to Singapore to trade for -- is Singaporeans' skill set. In order for eleven billion people to live as well or better than eight billion do now, with more food per person and fewer refugees and more wildlife and less CO2, what's most needed isn't equality or new technology and innovation. What's most needed is to teach Nicaraguans to think more like Singaporeans.

Or just to have more people who think like Simgaporeans, even if that also implies more people who think like Nicaraguans.

You have given me no reason to think that reducing absolute population wouldn't make the things you worry about worse, rather than better.

My understanding is that it's pretty much a wash - increasing absolute population (certainly within the plausible range of likely future populations) is perhaps a slight net benefit to humanity and our environment, rather than a detriment. But if it is detrimental (which is far from clear), it cannot be massively so, or it wouldn't be far from clear.

Certainly there's no justification today for declaring that population growth is a major problem. It's not the 1960s anymore.

That's particularly the case given the propensity for the genocidal to use it as an excuse for their behaviour. Genocide, racism, and ethnic cleansing are all much bigger problems than population growth, and banging on about the "population problem" is observably encouraging to those who pursue those things.

Back
Top Bottom