• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Viruses, two different cell types, and vaccinations

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
Be forewarned, this thread is not intended to make much sense.

I have a few notions swirling around, and I’m going to contrive a scenario (born of stupendous ridiculousness) to see if I can work out which of these notions I have that (if any) reflect reality.

One notion is that some viruses (even some of those that we might call deadly) are not actually all that harmful directly. It appears that way because the infected develop very unfortunate symptoms. But, a closer look reveals that it’s not the cells of the virus but rather the cells of the person that goes after the virus that is having the severe impact on the persons health, not the cells of the virus.

The other (second) notion is that the before mentioned notion is off-base and it’s solely the cells of the virus that directly causes the negative health issues and that the cells of our own bodies do not in any way contribute to negative effects.

The third notion is a mixture of the two such that sometimes (depending on the virus) it’s like the first notion, sometimes like the second notion, and sometime one is more problematic than the other and conversely (depending on the virus).

Suppose it’s a mixture and vaccines are available for both, but we’re only gonna mandate one group. If the cells of the body causes the greater damage, vaccines aren’t required. On the other hand, if the virus directly causes the illness (and not the cells of body infected), then the vaccine is mandatory.

Ultimately, it’s a stupid compromise between those in favor of vaccines and those that disfavor vaccines. To top it off, the basis is asinine. The government will protect our children from contacting these viruses only if the harm isn’t caused by one’s own bodies. That means you must vaccine against some really bad viruses while also being true that you may choose to vaccinate or not. If the virus cells itself directly causes the damage in the bodies of others, then others will be protected since it’s the virus that is a direct cause; however, if the virus operates such that it itself doesn’t cause any harm but rather it’s the cells originating in the body of the infected that causes harm as a byproduct of trying to fight the virus, then despite severity of the illness, such a vaccination isn’t compulsory.

In analogy, the bad guys enter and hurt you vs the unwelcome bad guys enter to say hi and the good guys fight back and you get hurt in the mix. You get protection from the first (they’re trying to hurt you), but when they’re just trespassing and you hurt everyone in your own wake of fighting them, then no protection for that.

Of course, it’s a poor analogy since viruses can’t think for themselves, whether a harm causing virus or a self-inflicting cell, but the analogy was to see the distinction being made—not to have it hold up under scrutiny.

My question overall is what are viruses more like? Please don’t twist the word “direct.” You know what I mean.

And there are more old drunks than there are old doctors; I think i’ll have another round!

Be forewarned, this thread is not intended to make much sense.

I have a few notions swirling around, and I’m going to contrive a scenario (born of stupendous ridiculousness) to see if I can work out which of these notions I have that (if any) reflect reality.

One notion is that some viruses (even some of those that we might call deadly) are not actually all that harmful directly. It appears that way because the infected develop very unfortunate symptoms. But, a closer look reveals that it’s not the cells of the virus but rather the cells of the person that goes after the virus that is having the severe impact on the persons health, not the cells of the virus.

The other (second) notion is that the before mentioned notion is off-base and it’s solely the cells of the virus that directly causes the negative health issues and that the cells of our own bodies do not in any way contribute to negative effects.

The third notion is a mixture of the two such that sometimes (depending on the virus) it’s like the first notion, sometimes like the second notion, and sometime one is more problematic than the other and conversely (depending on the virus).

Suppose it’s a mixture and vaccines are available for both, but we’re only gonna mandate one group. If the cells of the body causes the greater damage, vaccines aren’t required. On the other hand, if the virus directly causes the illness (and not the cells of body infected), then the vaccine is mandatory.

Ultimately, it’s a stupid compromise between those in favor of vaccines and those that disfavor vaccines. To top it off, the basis is asinine. The government will protect our children from contacting these viruses only if the harm isn’t caused by one’s own bodies. That means you must vaccine against some really bad viruses while also being true that you may choose to vaccinate or not. If the virus cells itself directly causes the damage in the bodies of others, then others will be protected since it’s the virus that is a direct cause; however, if the virus operates such that it itself doesn’t cause any harm but rather it’s the cells originating in the body of the infected that causes harm as a byproduct of trying to fight the virus, then despite severity of the illness, such a vaccination isn’t compulsory.

In analogy, the bad guys enter and hurt you vs the unwelcome bad guys enter to say hi and the good guys fight back and you get hurt in the mix. You get protection from the first (they’re trying to hurt you), but when they’re just trespassing and you hurt everyone in your own wake of fighting them, then no protection for that.

Of course, it’s a poor analogy since viruses can’t think for themselves, whether a harm causing virus or a self-inflicting cell, but the analogy was to see the distinction being made—not to have it hold up under scrutiny.

My question overall is what are viruses more like? Please don’t twist the word “direct.” You know what I mean.
Hi fast,

The interactions between viruses and cellular organisms like us can be quite complex (understatement), but broadly speaking:

Viruses are obligate parasites, when they infect us they cause damage. Over many millions of years of selection, we have evolved mechanisms that tend to mitigate the damage and destroy the viruses. These mechanisms are (obviously) imperfect, but we would not last long without them.

Some of the mechanisms damage our bodies. Selection has favoured such mechanisms because, on average, this damage is less than the damage expected from the virus. One example is when specialized cells of your immune system 'sniff out' and destroy any of your cells that are infected by a virus. This makes it difficult for the virus to spread, but destroys living tissue (which may cause a sore throat, for example). If those cells were not destroyed, it is likely that the spreading virus would do even more damage.

So, the short answer is that stopping your immune system from reacting to a viral infection is a Bad Idea: an unopposed virus will almost certainly do more damage than an immune response (except in the case of an auto-immune disorder).

There has been some disagreement about whether a fever is a sometimes dangerous immune response to kill invading bacteria, or a symptom of bacterial infection that is beyond the control of the immune system.

Note that vaccination does not attack any virus. Rather it 'primes' the immune system to attack a particular virus.

Peez

It sounds like a war between the cells of the virus and the cells of our immune system with our bodies being the battle ground that houses the wounds of who so shall ever make a strike, the invading virus or the home team immune system.

Yeah, think of a virus as a terrorist who is trying to sneak into your army base dressed in your army's uniform. Vaccines are like the mugshot in the guard house, that lets the security team know that they need to stop him.

Bacteria are attackers wearing the enemy uniform. Antibiotics are the reinforcements sent to stop your forces from being overwhelmed; They will help destroy bacteria, but are useless against viruses.

Fever is a napalm attack - it kills the good guys or the bad guys, fairly indiscriminately; But if the place is overrun with bad guys, that's not necessarily a bad strategy. It's not yet clear which side calls in the napalm attack.

Starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas, Robert Webber and Donald Sutherland.

Terminology nitpicks: viruses do not have cells, which is why an individual viron is called a viral particle, not a viral cell.

My guess is that it is treatment that kills people.

As evidence:
Many people are alive when they go into hospitals and they come out dead. No one goes into a hospital dead and comes out alive.

ETA:
O.K. for the humor impaired.... :p

Nitpick: The precursors of the modern trauma centers had more people come out alive than went in alive. (Their approach was so radical that they were only allowed to work on the hopeless cases and they got a lot whose heart had stopped on the way to the hospital. It didn't matter what those lunatics did with their ready/fire/aim approach--except it worked. Modern treatment for severe trauma is modeled after what they did--fix what you can see first, the big picture is definitely secondary. Sure, you'll lose a few patients to things that were in the medical records but which the trauma center didn't know but speedy treatment saves a lot more.)

Yeah, think of a virus as a terrorist who is trying to sneak into your army base dressed in your army's uniform. Vaccines are like the mugshot in the guard house, that lets the security team know that they need to stop him.

Bacteria are attackers wearing the enemy uniform. Antibiotics are the reinforcements sent to stop your forces from being overwhelmed; They will help destroy bacteria, but are useless against viruses.

Fever is a napalm attack - it kills the good guys or the bad guys, fairly indiscriminately; But if the place is overrun with bad guys, that's not necessarily a bad strategy. It's not yet clear which side calls in the napalm attack.

Starring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas, Robert Webber and Donald Sutherland.
:notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom