• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Voter disenfranchisement, Georgia style

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

This is beyond absurd. A voter "registration" site that allows you to cancel your registration. With very little info about the voter.

Either this is the blunder of the century or it's a voter disenfranchisement in a deniable fashion.

I would have called it stupid if The Onion ran something like that.

So you don't need ID to cancel your registration?
Can we get our friends in GA to go there and cancel a bunch of Repugs' registrations?
The thing is, this strategy has one particular downside: investigative asymmetry.

A white person complains about a cancelled registration in a conservative ward?

Investigation and criminal charges!

A black person from a progressive ward complains? "We'll get right on that".

BTW... how often does one need to cancel the registration??? When you're moving? And this happens in numbers that require a website? No, something smells like a big beached Georgia catfish here.

I read about this early this morning. I imagine that in order to try and cancel someone's voter registration, you would need quite a bit of information, like the exact address, date of birth, and hopefully, the last four digits of their SS number or driver's license number. I don't know that for sure, but that's what I'm hoping. Of course, Democrats in the state are angry about this.

What's worse in my opinion, is that anyone can simply challenge someone else's right to vote and I don't think they need any detailed information to do that. I'm not sure. But, would one of my white neighbors be able to challenge one of my Black neighbor's right to vote if all he knew was the person's name and address? They attack Balck people because they know that they vote Democratic at a much higher rate compared to white voters. I've read that this shit has been going on in some of Georgia's most conservative counties, and most of the time the person isn't removed from the voter rolls, but if they are, it take some motivation to get back on. I encourage all of my friends to check and make sure that their voter registration is still current by checking online. There are at least two places they can check. Despite having lived at the same address for 26. years, I always check to make sure that my registrations is still active about a week or two before an election.

Ok. I found the information. It's not as easy as it sounds.

https://sos.ga.gov/news/raffensperg...istrations-and-increasing-voter-roll-accuracy

Voters who wish to cancel their registration will simply access the site, enter their secret personal identifying information (such as Drivers License/State ID # or Full/Partial SSN), and indicate that they wish to be removed from the list of registered voters. County voter registration officials will receive a notification through GARViS and remove the voter from the rolls.

This innovative adoption of state-of-the-art technology will lead to fewer clerical errors and peace of mind for any user, knowing that their Georgia voter registration is securely cancelled when they move to another state, or when a loved ones passes away.

Secretary Raffensperger added that he would be providing the secure link to closing attorneys and realtors in Georgia so that cancelling an out-of-date voter registration will be a part of the moving process.

There's more in the link, but in order to cancel someone else's voter registration, you'd have to have quite a bit of information about them. So maybe my friend who is a Democrat could cancel her Republican's husband's registration or vice versa since they would have access to all that information. No. Neither of them would do that. I'm just saying it's not that easy. Plus, it's easy to register again and claim someone has committed fraud. You would also have to know the exact name they are registered in and their DOB.

Trump is so fucking dumb, but you all already knew that.

https://sos.ga.gov/news/raffensperg...istrations-and-increasing-voter-roll-accuracy

Voters who wish to cancel their registration will simply access the site, enter their secret personal identifying information (such as Drivers License/State ID # or Full/Partial SSN), and indicate that they wish to be removed from the list of registered voters. County voter registration officials will receive a notification through GARViS and remove the voter from the rolls.

This innovative adoption of state-of-the-art technology will lead to fewer clerical errors and peace of mind for any user, knowing that their Georgia voter registration is securely cancelled when they move to another state, or when a loved ones passes away.

Secretary Raffensperger added that he would be providing the secure link to closing attorneys and realtors in Georgia so that cancelling an out-of-date voter registration will be a part of the moving process.

There's more in the link, but in order to cancel someone else's voter registration, you'd have to have quite a bit of information about them. So maybe my friend who is a Democrat could cancel her Republican's husband's registration or vice versa since they would have access to all that information. No. Neither of them would do that. I'm just saying it's not that easy. Plus, it's easy to register again and claim someone has committed fraud. You would also have to know the exact name they are registered in and their DOB.

Or the SOS could just clandestinely cancel voter registrations and say it was done by the voter over the internet. Maybe the voters will notice before hand, and maybe they won't.

Or the SOS could just clandestinely cancel voter registrations and say it was done by the voter over the internet. Maybe the voters will notice before hand, and maybe they won't.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory. They have other ways to remove people from the roles and it’s easy enough to challenge. We have.or have had a bigger problem with apathy. I’ve lived here for 30 years. It’s the easiest state
To register and vote of the 8 that I’ve lived in. It’s hard to get people to vote but that seems to be changing.

Georgia law will give them the exact name and year of birth for the whole state for $485. And do you really think the rest of that info isn't on the dark web?

And what happens if they cancel it too close to the election?

Locally the list is free and appears to contain the entire birth date. They would only need a SSN.

Georgia law will give them the exact name and year of birth for the whole state for $485. And do you really think the rest of that info isn't on the dark web?

Locally the list is free and appears to contain the entire birth date. They would only need a SSN.
SSNs are everywhere on TOR markets, often with addresses. That and drivers license numbers. All you need is "partials" for that, though, and those are cheap as shit for thousands or more, and get someone REALLY close to a birthdate if you know where someone was born, assuming that's not in the partial.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory.

We already know there was a conspiracy to overthrow the government on January 6th. So it's not really that implausible.

And after posting this I realized that I was assuming an outside attacker. The election office is under MAGA control, the reasonable assumption is the malicious actor has a full copy of the database.

How many times do I have to say that it's not that hard to challenge it, if for some reason, you are told that your voter registration has been removed. I'm more concerned about some of the idiotic laws that allow people to challenge other's rights to vote. Despite having a Republican governor and SOS, do you all remember that those two refused to allow Trump to overturn the results of the last election? And, if someone is told that their registration has been challenged, they can vote with a provisional ballot until things are solved. Georgia is a purple state, so the election will be close, but anyone who is determined to vote, will do so, and will challenge any attempt that someone makes to deny them their right to vote. AS I think I've already said, I always check my voting registration status shortly before an election and I encourage friends to do the same. I personally know a lot of Black folks since I live in a Black majority city, not a single one of them has ever had issues voting and for that matter, about half of our local poll workers are Black women. Trump has been bashing our governor and SOS this week, so I'm not sure I'd call them under MAGA control. Our former Lt.Governor is now a Republican for Harris. Plus, what makes you think they couldn't do this before, when all one had to do is fill out a form and send it in, if they were moving or if a relative died and needed to have their voting registration removed. Georgia's population is growing, so it would be very suspicious is suddenly a huge number of people asked to have their voting registration removed due to relocating to another state.

Things could change if JD Vance ever becomes president since he's far worse than Trump, but let's hope that never happens.

Anyway, I've said enough, so I'm bowing out for now unless I find any new information that if related to this issue.

One more thing. We don't register by party in Georgia and many if not most areas of Georgia are racially integrated to some extent, so if some crazy MAGA in office wanted to wipe out a bunch of voter registrations, he might end up wiping out more MAGAs than Democrats. Nobody knows, unless you tell them, which party you usually support. In fact, there have been times when both Mr. Sohy and I voted Republican in the primaries, just to vote against someone awful. Plus, we have two Democratic Senators who are not up for election this year, I imagine they will get involved to protect voter integrity, if they hear complaints.

Last edited:
When I was a New Jersey voter, I went from Independent to Green Party to, for strategy, Democratic Party. I haaaated it! But my husband and I voted Dem anyway, so, meh.

One year, we showed up to vote in the primary election (and to vote on local issues) only to discover that we had both been disenrolled from the Democratic Party without our consent or knowledge.

Our kind Election Volunteer helped us complete provisional ballots so we could cast our votes. It was tedious and time-consuming, and my husband had a harder time than I did (you know me). We needed and got help to vote.

We later learned that our party affiliation had been changed to the Libertarian Party. That's a troll move, because I'm on Disability.

If a lot of voters showed up at a voting site only to learn they had been removed from the voter rolls, chaos would ensue. There wouldn't be enough volunteers to help those outraged or surprised people fill out the full paper ballots.

We never did find out who did that to us.

IIUC this is just one of several shenanigans Georgia Maggots are already pushing. Shenanigans which should be illegal, but aren't because Maggots control courts and all branches of their state government.

So, Georgia should probably be crossed off the list of swing states. (And Arizona is well on their way to planning shenanigans as bad as Georgia's IIUC.)

I just realized that the webpage https://www.270towin.com/ lets one specify any of a dozen defaults. Among the defaults, the Cook Political Report and Elections Daily and cnalysis show only three states as Toss-Up; and Harris must win all three (WI, MI, PA) to eke out a 270-268 Electoral win. "538 Model" and JHK Forecasts are similar but NV gets promoted from pinkish to Toss-Up.

Since the Maggots win on a 269-269 tie, Omaha's single electoral vote -- not a sure thing -- is a MUST-WIN for Harris. Is Nebraska still planning to change their law and give that ev to the Reds? If they do, will Maine reciprocate (as they promised) and cancel the special electoral vote for Maine's backwoods meth-heads? I think Maine should act pre-emptively now lest Nebraska Maggots wait until it's too late for Maine to respond.

I'm not sure "Maggot" is the correct spelling for present-day Republiturds, but spellchecker keeps correcting me. Of course this derogatory-sounding term is not directed at Republicans, if any, here at IIDB but IF any Infdel is personally offended, I can live with that.

I'm not sure "Maggot" is the correct spelling for present-day Republiturds, but spellchecker keeps correcting me. Of course this derogatory-sounding term is not directed at Republicans, if any, here at IIDB but IF any Infdel is personally offended, I can live with that.
You're not wrong, they have infested every area of government.

On Facebook, I see the spelling "MAGAT" more than others.

I have some vague memory from my pre-IIDB days, of some Wichita, KS abortion clinic defenders, who called either themselves or the antis "Maggots." ohh my brain! I used to know.

Back
Top Bottom