• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warcraft movie trailer

The "orc chick" in question is supposed to be half orc half night elf, but in the movie they're making her half orc half human.

PS -- I actually own the soundtrack from that Mortal Kombat movie. Yes, I count it as one of those "so bad it's good" movies. A guilty pleasure if you will.

I thought Garona was suppose to be half-draenei, although she herself at this point in time believes she is half-human.

I could be wrong. My grasp of the lore is not that good. If she is supposed to be half draenei, she sure as hell doesn't look it.

I never really got into Warcraft, but I'll probably watch the movie anyway. Travis Fimmel is fantastic in Vikings, so there's hope...

I really think it was a mistake to go with live action for this one.

The design aesthetic is so wonderfully goofy and outrageous, that it screams for CGI of a more cartoony sort. Something roughly in between the in-game cut scenes and a normal CGI movie would have been great. This would have called for relatively low-quality CGI, which would have been cheaper and more in the spirit of what fans are used to seeing in the game.

I really think it was a mistake to go with live action for this one.

The design aesthetic is so wonderfully goofy and outrageous, that it screams for CGI of a more cartoony sort. Something roughly in between the in-game cut scenes and a normal CGI movie would have been great. This would have called for relatively low-quality CGI, which would have been cheaper and more in the spirit of what fans are used to seeing in the game.

If you make it too close to the game, the appeal is too narrow. So that's understandable. But what they've done is made a movie that doesn't look close enough to take advantage of the charm of its source material AND they've saddled it with a horrible, predictable story and horrible, predictable characters whose dialogue you could probably write most of before you've ever even seen the movie. And they've likely given it a rating that guarantees blandness.

Unless somehow it's rated R. Then I'll have to go see this thing the day it opens.

But the PG-13 rating has been death to movies that otherwise would had to have been made R, which means the film could have been made the way it should have been but they need 10th graders texting in the fucking movie theater in a misguided attempt to make the most money possible.

And if this thing has a PG rating, good luck with that. It'll be way too timid to attract the PG-13 audience while at the same time scaring off the parents of little kids.

Maybe this thing hits huge. But otherwise, when it comes to companies that allow films like this to get made when pretty everyone can tell them it's gonna flop? They deserve a deep, drawn out, Seinfeldian, "Who are these people?"

I thought Garona was suppose to be half-draenei, although she herself at this point in time believes she is half-human.

I could be wrong. My grasp of the lore is not that good. If she is supposed to be half draenei, she sure as hell doesn't look it.

Or maybe it's just that even orc women must look sexy

There is actually a whole story behind this.

The original designs for orc, troll, and tauren females involved a lot less sexual dimorphism, but a backlash from fans required a redesign.

http://www.wired.com/2007/05/sexual_dimorphi/

Unfortunately, the original article linked in the above article seems unavailable, but they do show images of some of the original designs. Frankly, I prefer the original designs. In fairness, orc females are more muscular than human females, it is the contrast to the hulk-sized orc males that make them look ridiculous.

I stand corrected. The orc female model did not change much from the alpha. It was mostly troll and tauren females that were altered due to player complaints:

this, pretty much - but that's not because of sexism by game developers, it's because of aesthetic preferences by game players.
(which i support would be called by sexism by many people who like to SJW it up in the consumer culture of gaming)

this, pretty much - but that's not because of sexism by game developers, it's because of aesthetic preferences by game players.
(which i support would be called by sexism by many people who like to SJW it up in the consumer culture of gaming)

Don't worry, dude. I will butt rape anybody who has the slightest problem with your position!

NERD RAGE!!!!! :mad:

It's a movie though....I was cynically amused by it.

It's a movie though....I was cynically amused by it.
true, and the whole "sex ass-kicker" cliche exists in both mediums, so it's like a double whammy.

Eh, the sexy ass-kicker is not inherently bad, is it? It does kind of have precedent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomoe_Gozen

The Tale of Heike said:
Tomoe was especially beautiful, with white skin, long hair, and charming features. She was also a remarkably strong archer, and as a swordswoman she was a warrior worth a thousand, ready to confront a demon or a god, mounted or on foot. She handled unbroken horses with superb skill; she rode unscathed down perilous descents. Whenever a battle was imminent, Yoshinaka sent her out as his first captain, equipped with strong armor, an oversized sword, and a mighty bow; and she performed more deeds of valor than any of his other warriors.

Granted, Japanese history is odd. We don't know how much of Tomoe's story was exaggerated or even if she was a real person, but if her story was exaggerated or fabricated, it shows that the idea of a sexy ass-kicker appealed to people even eight centuries ago.

And a severe lack of creative vision on the part of the developer's creative team.
how so?
basically any time any news story has surfaced regarding consumer reaction to a design decision in a game, the thrust of it is "consumers got super pissed that women in the game weren't hot enough, and had a shit fit about it until the developers caved and made the women more visually appealing to the consumer-desired aesthetic", so how does that denote lack of creativity on the part of the devs?

Eh, the sexy ass-kicker is not inherently bad, is it? It does kind of have precedent.
oh mind you i don't think there's anything wrong with it inherently - obviously if you're a sufficient level of film geek you can give a bit of an armchair thesis on the whole "waifs body slamming guys three times their mass in pure muscle" and how ridiculous that is, but the basic premise of a woman being attractive and kicking ass is just fine.

i was just saying that it's a cliche that any woman who kicks ass needs to be sexy in the visual mediums of popular fiction or else the audience tends to rebel.
even when you look at an example wherein *the entire point* is that the character is unattractive (ie, brienne of tarth) for the show they got a model to play her and just didn't do her makeup.
and obviously that goes to the broader issue of women in visual media being shoe-horned into needing to have their looks fit into a specific avenue of body type, but again that's an audience problem that has derived from the will of the masses, not some conspiracy by a cabal of jews to make every actress and video game protagonist look like a 17 year old cheerleader.

Last edited:
oh mind you i don't think there's anything wrong with it inherently - obviously if you're a sufficient level of film geek you can give a bit of an armchair thesis on the whole "waifs body slamming guys three times their mass in pure muscle" and how ridiculous that is, but the basic premise of a woman being attractive and kicking ass is just fine.

i was just saying that it's a cliche that any woman who kicks ass needs to be sexy in the visual mediums of popular fiction or else the audience tends to rebel.
even when you look at example wherein *the entire point* is that the character is unattractive (ie, brienne of tarth) for the show they got a model to play her and just didn't do her makeup.
and obviously that goes to the broader issue of women in visual media being shoe-horned into needing to have their looks fit into a specific avenue of body type, but again that's an audience problem that has derived from the will of the masses, not some conspiracy by a cabal of jews to make every actress and video game protagonist look like a 17 year old cheerleader.

OK, that is certainly a valid observation about how society deals with sexualized images of women and perpetuates the idea that looks are the only thing (or damn near the only thing) that matters about a woman.

Back
Top Bottom