• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Warning Issued For Millions Of Microsoft Windows 10 Users

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/01/microsoft-windows-10-update-problem-cpu-performance-warning-upgrade-windows-10/#2d914ef13c85

Picked up by the eagle eyes of Windows Latest, users are warning that Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 update is hitting performance hard. And what’s most frustrating is Microsoft was warned about this prior to release, shipped it anyway and continues to ignore it.

Showing up for anyone who hits the ‘Check for updates’ button in Windows Update, KB4512941 was released to fix multiple problems, including bugs in Windows Sandbox, black screen issues and more. But inside the update is a botched Cortana fix which is causing the service to gobble up to 40% of user’s CPUs. Wave goodbye to half your PC’s power and a good chunk of battery life.

MS has long had the business installed base by the balls.

I’ve always lagged on updates.

This update might have fucked others at my company using particular software.

I stopped using MS Office ages ago and used Open Office. It is supported by a business consortium.

Do the same with an OS. Open source OS. Revision control and support by a consortium. Regular users pay a small yearly fee. Have major SW developers as part of the consortium. A new release is tested with major software before release. A beta release to developers.

Relegate MS Windows to history. The original Windows grew in pieces. Today it is probably a nightmare to maintain. Witness the bug history.

I stopped using MS Office ages ago and used Open Office. It is supported by a business consortium.

Do the same with an OS. Open source OS. Revision control and support by a consortium. Regular users pay a small yearly fee. Have major SW developers as part of the consortium. A new release is tested with major software before release. A beta release to developers.

Relegate MS Windows to history. The original Windows grew in pieces. Today it is probably a nightmare to maintain. Witness the bug history.

Congratulations, you just invented Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Yes. Now Red Hat Enterprise is a subsidiary of IBM. Welcome back old new blue over new old blue.

Red Hat

Red Hat, Inc. is an American multinational software company providing open-source software products to the enterprise community. Founded in 1993, Red Hat has its corporate headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina, with other offices worldwide. It became a subsidiary of IBM on July 9, 2019

What? ...and we KNOW* the all new shiny IBM RED Hat will continue the consortium with no cost to users or participants. Right?

*I know from whence I speak. I worked for IBM back in it's System 360 days.

All operating systems are evil. Windows, Apple, BSD, Linux. It is just that each is evil in it's own way. Linux at least is free. I started using it when Windows XP cost $149 and that for one computer only. I owned three computers at the time. And the best, no bullshit Windows was the Enterprise system not available to us wretched mere users. Screw you Microsoft!

What is evil about Linux is usually not Linux itself but the various Desktop environments, the disasters that were and are KDE 4.X, Plasma and Gnome 3.0 et al. And evil, bloated browsers. And evils like Facebook. And "upgrades" to SW like Disqus that broke Disqus utterly.

Linux is free and I have read the manuals and learned to use it. Linux does what I need it to do. My next step is to go with a rolling distro, so I never have to upgrade from scratch when my Linux distro reaches end of life every two years or so. Probably Gentoo.

Back
Top Bottom