• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Was there ever an anti-Christian persecution on the level of an inquisition, pogrom or holocaust?

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
Was there ever an anti-Christian persecution on the level of an inquisition, pogrom or holocaust, by an officially atheistic state, for example in the Soviet Union?

Was there ever an anti-Christian persecution on the level of an inquisition, pogrom or holocaust, by an officially atheistic state, for example in the Soviet Union?
Sure: Christians were one of the many categories of people the Khmer Rouge targeted for extermination.

What about Stalin (or the USSR as such), the usual bogeyman in Christian arguments?

Some would say it is happening now in areas of Africa.

Also, there is ample evidence that Diocletian actually did persecute Christians, though Romans in general did not to the extent that is often claimed.

Yes: by other Christians. I'm sure you're already familiar enough with European history to know what I'm talking about.

It's kind of a trick question. In the history of the world, it would be difficult to find many states which could be labeled "officially atheist."

As for Stalin, there are several passages in Winston Churchill's WW2 memoirs, in which he cites Stalin for invoking God's will, in conversations.

None that I can think of on the level of the Inquisition. How many did the Romans go after during the good ol' days? Not nearly that many I would wager. I'm no history major, though.

Some would say it is happening now in areas of Africa.

Also, there is ample evidence that Diocletian actually did persecute Christians, though Romans in general did not to the extent that is often claimed.
If we're broadening this to persecution by non-atheists, Christianity was a capital crime in Japan for a couple of hundred years. A community of hundreds of thousands was all but wiped out.

Oh sorry, I should read entire sentences.

If We Toss Out The Romans Persecutions It Is IMO Not Even Close.

But for killing Christians hands down the winners are the Catholics and the Protestants. They were both quite good at hypocrisy when it came to state sponsored killings, rape, torture and brinkenridge all in the name of God of course. Look at France in the 16th century and then fast forward to the 30 Years War. Historians estimate that 1/3 of the population of modern day Germany were killed along with all the food stuffs and live stock. Hence the reports of cannibalism on a scale that borders on the surreal and utter horror. All in the name of the correct and proper way to practice Christianity of course.

If one needs to see how 100's of 1000's of Christians are being persecuted and killed today then all you have to do
turn to the good people at Fox News. According to them there is an actual war against Christians and Christianity
today that rivals the Pagans and pretty much all forms of modern thought. All in that famous alternative historical
reality.

Peace

Pegasus

What about the systematic holocaust against Christians in America today? Some of them can't even get special treatment and consideration for their beliefs without giving similar consideration to groups like the Muslims, who's faith isn't even correct.

What about the systematic holocaust against Christians in America today? Some of them can't even get special treatment and consideration for their beliefs without giving similar consideration to groups like the Muslims, who's faith isn't even correct.

The devil's in the details

It's kind of a trick question. In the history of the world, it would be difficult to find many states which could be labeled "officially atheist."

As for Stalin, there are several passages in Winston Churchill's WW2 memoirs, in which he cites Stalin for invoking God's will, in conversations.

The only official atheist state would be Albania under Enver Hoxha. Other communist states had freedom of religion written in their constitutions. Said states, as states often do, kinda ignored what was written int their constituions.

- - - Updated - - -

They should behave like good Christians and turn the other cheek.

None that I can think of on the level of the Inquisition. How many did the Romans go after during the good ol' days? Not nearly that many I would wager. I'm no history major, though.

Not many.

In her recent book "The Myth of Persecution: How early Christians invented a story of Martyrdom" Candida Moss, historian, using the Catholic Church's own records, determined that there was about 10 years worth of 'official' government persecution of Christians in 3 centuries during the ancient Roman era. And it wasn't like the Nazis rounding up Jews. Lot of times, officials let the Christians slide

"Oh, here, you must offer incense to the emperor's genius or die...oh, you won't do it? How about your non-Christian brother-in-law? He will? Good, sign here. Off you go."

The Armenian genocide comes to mind. Then there's the genocide in Darfur. Muslims certainly haven't always been very good to Christians even if they were "children of the book." Then there's the "Nabka" of the Jews against Arabs in Palestine. I think most of the Arab victims were Christians.

Back
Top Bottom