• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What does it mean for something to be "logically possible"?

That's questionable.

Where do you feel? The brain or the finger?

Where do you see the object? On the eye or in the brain?

That's questionable.

Where do you see the object? On the eye or in the brain?

The clock is on the wall. Where do I see the object? On the wall.

I couldn't see the object unless I had an eye, a brain, and a clock, and I couldn't see where the object is unless there was an eye, a brain, a clock, and (wait for it, wait for it) a wall.

Moreover, it's not on the eye ... that would hurt.

It's not in the brain ... it wouldn't fit. (It's a very (very) large clock) :biggrina:

I was thinking more about logically possibilities and the lingo surrounding possible worlds and the whole point of postulating them, but the thought sprang to mind while considering combinations when thinking about the possible rewrites of H2O. I'm no chemist, but I came up with

HHO
HOH
OHH

Among several others.

If I tried that with other molecules, I'm sure I'd run into a situation where combinations were impossible (physically, that is), but at least I'd have a finite set to start with. Logical possibilities is like a set of all combinations.

Postulating possible worlds is kind of like rearranging all particles of the world to come up with a set of theoretical possibilities--never meant to be considered actual or even possibly actual.

And, basically, it is what you are saying yourself. As observers, we can get information about an apple we are looking at. We don't get the apple itself. And the apple is not information. It's an apple.
EB

No we see an object that we know, depending on hue, is edible. Then we walk, run, crawl over pick and eat it. There is no power in naming. An apple by any other name would taste as sweet. Poets and playwrights know more than philosophers apparently.

We are living machines. We are living machines that compete with other living machines for limited resources. What we process and what we do are shaped by those requirements. Its all in the function of the devise, whether an amplifier, telescope, a spectrum analyzer, a human, what is processed from what is available. Call it purpose if you want.

The above is definitely logically possible because it's consistent with physical possibility.

To see = to probe an internal model created from visual (and other) input.

Remember that show, "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?"

I don't rightly know what the experts mean when they say we see something, but I do know what a fifth grader means when they say they saw something. I mean what they mean. So, if they say they saw a beachball blow across the sand, bounce off an alligator by the shore and drop down hitting a patrolman on the head, then I mean to say I saw just that if I did.

How it is that I see (the inner workings of it all) is irrelevant.

Okay, so light come-a bouncy bouncin' from the sun to all those thingys then it comes traveling through the air attacking my eye. The brain captures it, wrestles with it, does a body slam in my brain, and poops out a dozen or so percepts that thankfully are not itchy.

I don't care what the short-sighted brain sees. The far-sighted person cannot see percepts. All we see are the things the light reflected off of, not in the brain but out in the world.

since this brain-created model works so well we can ignore it in most of our everyday business.
But its shortcomings are so common that we also have to compensate for it (while driving and other modern actions)

And when discussing the true nature of time and space we have to be aware of it.

I was once walking home in the summer night after a very long evening of playing the first version of ”age of empires” I saw something very strange: All the trees had very strange foilage.
Many hours of looking at the simple graphics where all bushes and all trees had the same pattern for their leaves made my brain using that pattern instead of the usual: every tree I say in the park on my way home looked exactly as those in the game.

That made me realize how profound our brains part in creating the illusion of that we ”see” the world around us, really is.

Another moment of insight come while playing with stereoscopic photograpy: I had made a black and white stereoscopic photo (that is two photos: left and right) of a park. The result was two gray images that didnt resemble anything: the leaves where too small to be seen and the removal of the different green hues made all it all a grey smudge. But! When i looked at them in the sterescope the trees popped out at me and looked as tangible as ever.
These ”objects” clearly created by the brain from information in the photos.

And, basically, it is what you are saying yourself. As observers, we can get information about an apple we are looking at. We don't get the apple itself. And the apple is not information. It's an apple.
EB

No we see an object that we know, depending on hue, is edible. Then we walk, run, crawl over pick and eat it. There is no power in naming. An apple by any other name would taste as sweet. Poets and playwrights know more than philosophers apparently.

We are living machines. We are living machines that compete with other living machines for limited resources. What we process and what we do are shaped by those requirements. Its all in the function of the devise, whether an amplifier, telescope, a spectrum analyzer, a human, what is processed from what is available. Call it purpose if you want.

The above is definitely logically possible because it's consistent with physical possibility.
And if the object was a prop, a plastic apple, what then?
What if it was a ball, and your hunger made you think it was an apple?

I was thinking more about logically possibilities and the lingo surrounding possible worlds and the whole point of postulating them, but the thought sprang to mind while considering combinations when thinking about the possible rewrites of H2O. I'm no chemist, but I came up with

HHO
HOH
OHH

Among several others.

If I tried that with other molecules, I'm sure I'd run into a situation where combinations were impossible (physically, that is), but at least I'd have a finite set to start with. Logical possibilities is like a set of all combinations.

Postulating possible worlds is kind of like rearranging all particles of the world to come up with a set of theoretical possibilities--never meant to be considered actual or even possibly actual.
Why do you need to be a chemist to rearrange letters?
What would the ”several others” be? There are only three places to place the O.

HHO
HOH
OHH

Among several others.

Why do you need to be a chemist to rearrange letters?
What would the ”several others” be? There are only three places to place the O.
OH2
OH1H1
O1H1H1
O1H2

There's more

Furthermore, I have a problem with the notion that our conception of water having three states, but to explain that takes more than a mouthfull.

And if the object was a prop, a plastic apple, what then?
What if it was a ball, and your hunger made you think it was an apple?
One would try to touch or bite it.

I remember verifying our front door window wasn't leaded glass by touching it. The feel and temperature assured me it was plastic. Shit happens and some systems can actually learn. ///and logical possibility remains in tact.

Furthermore, I have a problem with the notion that our conception of water having three states, but to explain that takes more than a mouthfull.

Ran the experiments to do that in high school about 60 years ago. Recently I've been experiencing cloudy skies as rain when I saw very small rain drops falling rather than wandering horizontally or upward. It's not from the illusion of the same phenomenon.

HHO
HOH
OHH

Among several others.

Pure liquid water is H20 and OH(-) and H30(+) and other species. Hydrogen atoms are constantly in flux.

Water is not just H20.

And it does not matter one bit how you write out H2O since these three atoms will only form one molecule.

I would agree that if you see a beautiful woman it's probably because there's something that looks to you as a woman, and a beautiful one. But then there's no real sense, beyond this, in insisting that this something is a beautiful woman. All you can say, even objectively if you can get the concurring opinion of several people, is that this something looks like a beautiful woman. What it is, you still don't know, except that it should be something that looks to you as a beautiful woman.
EB
I didn't mean to complicate matters by introducing a subjective element into the problem. Replace her with a bowling ball. <damn something sounded so not right about that>

I didn't address this aspect of your post. Why do you?

I'm over here. The ball is over there. I submit that I see the ball. You disagree. You think we merely see a mental image (or percept) of the ball. My view is that you're narrowing what it means to say that we see something. Science might show the processes of vision such that the brain never reaches out and touches the ball but rather light streams in to us. That (to me) doesn't change anything, for that's apart of what it means to even say we saw something.

You can't walk around making the claim we don't really see anything outside our minds. People will think you're crazy. When you start to dodge objects in your path and you explain that your movement was due to doppelgänger mental images giving you a video with a setting tuned to human distortion, well, just sayin', it's better to just say you see the thing (just like they do). You can explain how we see, but don't deny that we see, nor deny that we see what we do.

I wouldn't dispute what it is that we mean when we say that we see a bird on a tree. We certainly mean just that, that there's a bird, a tree, the bird is on the tree, and we're looking at that, and that's what we see. That's what people mean and they also usually believe that this describes the reality of the situation, accurately. No dispute here as to meaning.

Yet, we've moved on a bit since the language and the vocabulary we still use today in our everyday lives were settled. We now have a much more sophisticated understanding of what human beings are and, as a consequence, of what it is that human beings typically do. For example in terms of what they do when they look at things. And there's no doubt in this respect that although we say we see things and think we see things, the reality, as we now believe it is, is much more complicated.

And there's nothing much to add.

You replied to something I didn't say (about the subjectivity of your "beautiful woman" example) and you didn't reply to what it is I did say. So, I will only repeat myself, changing the example from the more subjectively charged "beautiful woman" to the more objectively pedestrian "tree".

Here it goes again: I would agree that if you see a tree it's probably because there's something that looks to you as a tree. But then there's no real sense, beyond this, in insisting that this something actually is a tree. All you can say, even objectively if you can get the concurring opinion of several people, is that this something looks like a tree. What it actually is, you still don't know, except that it should be something that looks to you as a tree.

And, crucially, there's no doubt that my description is much more accurate than your "I see a tree", and more realistic than "This is a tree".

That's what I meant.

Oh, and it would help if we drop this fascination with the brain being the person. I don't see percepts, even should it might be the case my brain senses them. I see the rock, the ball, and the girl.
Sure, no issue here.
EB

EB

And!?
EB

We haven't moved on.

We still are not sure what exactly we are seeing.

Is consciousness limited to some space?

HHO
HOH
OHH

Among several others.

Pure liquid water is H20 and OH(-) and H30(+) and other species. Hydrogen atoms are constantly in flux.

Water is not just H20.

And it does not matter one bit how you write out H2O since these three atoms will only form one molecule.

Water is mostly H20, but for brief periods of time some water molecules can assume different configurations. Dimers

[h=2]Comparison with trimer, tetramer and pentamer[/h] The water trimer ring system has been reviewed up to 2003 [2426] and reanalyzed in 2016 [2726]. It appears that quantum delocalization of hydrogen bonded protons between oxygen neighbors occurs in the trimer and pentamer, but not the tetramer and hexamer [2426]. Such aromatic-like delocalization within pentamers and dodecahedra present in supercooled water stabilize their structures and contribute to the stability of ES-clustering, where half the water molecules are within pentamers.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_dimer.html

The average dimensions for the trimer, tetramer and pentamer from ab initio 6-31G** calculation are shown below. The charge on the donor hydrogen atoms increase, the hydrogen bond lengths contract and the electron density width within the hydrogen bonds increase as the structure goes from dimer to trimer to tetramer to pentamer.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/images/water-trimer.gif

These dimers are not trapped in carbon.

A molecule will associate with this molecule for a while then another.

The dimers and trimers and what not are constantly changing partners.

All is in constant flux on the molecular level.

Back
Top Bottom