• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What does it mean for something to be "logically possible"?

But math gives a logical explanation on how a continuum would work (whether or not it is in accordance with the universe is another issue). There shouldn't be an issue with what math says because it is based on logic, inductive logic.

It may be "logical" in mathematical formulations.

But I'm trying to make real world sense of the idea.

I find no real world example where you try to apply infinity to something and you are not reduced to absurdities.

I had given you an example of theoretical physicists using a model with an infinitely old universe to explain what we have today, including dark energy/matter. But you called the scientists fools, which was quite frustrating.

It may be "logical" in mathematical formulations.

But I'm trying to make real world sense of the idea.

I find no real world example where you try to apply infinity to something and you are not reduced to absurdities.

I had given you an example of theoretical physicists using a model with an infinitely old universe to explain what we have today, including dark energy/matter. But you called the scientists fools, which was quite frustrating.

You gave a speculation.

Scientists are all over the place. Some of it is mere speculation.

We are not at the knowledge stage with the speculations you provided.

You gave a speculation.

Scientists are all over the place. Some of it is mere speculation.

We are not at the knowledge stage with the speculations you provided.

But you said it is impossible for infinity to exist. That's why I posted their model.

But you said it is impossible for infinity to exist. That's why I posted their model.

You proved it is possible to speculate.

They call it a theory, and supposedly it's testable, "One way to test the theory is to look at how dark matter is distributed in the universe and see if it matches the properties of the proposed superfluid, Das said." from https://www.livescience.com/49958-theory-no-big-bang.html .

You have yet to prove or give a convincing argument for the negative.

You proved it is possible to speculate.

They call it a theory, and supposedly it's testable, "One way to test the theory is to look at how dark matter is distributed in the universe and see if it matches the properties of the proposed superfluid, Das said." from https://www.livescience.com/49958-theory-no-big-bang.html .

"Convincing" is a subjective term.

Some cannot be convinced by anything.

If you can explain in your own words why I should be convinced by this theory then we have something to discuss.

If you can explain in your own words why I should be convinced by this theory then we have something to discuss.

I already tried that. If you are not willing to understand it for yourself, then how are you certain it is impossible?

I already tried that. If you are not willing to understand it for yourself, then how are you certain it is impossible?

You didn't explain anything.

You don't need me to do anything for you to concisely and clearly explain this great theory you keep bringing up.

Why should I think it has any bearing here?

Because you claim it does? Prove it!

You didn't explain anything.

You don't need me to do anything for you to concisely and clearly explain this great theory you keep bringing up.

Why should I think it has any bearing here?

Why should you believe in any theories then? How do you know the Moon is not cheese or that the speed of light is not 350,000 m/s?

Because you claim it does? Prove it!

It's not me claiming it.

Why should you believe in any theories then? How do you know the Moon is not cheese or that the speed of light is not 350,000 m/s?

If I made the absurd claim that some theory was evidence of a real infinity I would be able to concisely and clearly explain the theory.

It's not me claiming it.

Yes it is. You are here making a claim.

If I made the absurd claim that some theory was evidence of a real infinity I would be able to concisely and clearly explain the theory.

You don't understand the theory, yet you claim it is impossible. There's nowhere for me to go from here.

It's not me claiming it.

Yes it is. You are here making a claim.

I am claiming that there is a claim. That's how I am arguing my case that infinity is not impossible. It's just a reference.

If there is a continuum and one has a cursor riding on that continuum what is to limit the cursor from being anywhere on the continuum? We're not talking stepper motors - rack and pinion here. Even if we were we could hook up a hydraulic system to it and drive pistons continuously making use of elasticity and momentum.

Non responsive.

I'm pretty sure infinitesimal and immeasurable were implicit in what I wrote sir.

You don't understand the theory, yet you claim it is impossible. There's nowhere for me to go from here.

Neither do you, yet you make all kinds of claims about it.

I would never present some claim I don't understand and can't defend.

There is nowhere to go from that.

I am just saying that there is a theory that explains how the universe is infinitely old. My claim is that a theory exists. It's science, and I believe that their claim is possible until it is refuted.

I already tried to explain it to you while back.

I am just saying that there is a theory that explains how the universe is infinitely old. My claim is that a theory exists. It's science, and I believe that their claim is possible until it is refuted.

I already tried to explain it to you while back.
Until it's refuted? It'll likely remain possible, refuted or otherwise. Possibility is very enduring :)

I am just saying that there is a theory that explains how the universe is infinitely old. My claim is that a theory exists.

All kinds of theories exist.

Not one of them is evidence of a real infinity.

I assure you, you will die before you see any evidence of a real infinity.

Infinity is a concept invented by humans. It is an imaginary concept.

As real as the Greek gods.

I am just saying that there is a theory that explains how the universe is infinitely old. My claim is that a theory exists.

Even though there is evidence that their model is based off of, I will drop the whole theory argument.

Even if there were a lack of evidence, it still doesn't explain why you think infinity is impossible. Is everything with a lack of evidence impossible?

Or, you'll just infer its existence because you know... logic.

I mean, seriously. 1 eternally existing reality which gives arise to all experience exists for eternity. That's infinite, unmeasurable, etc.

If you can't infer the existence of a substrate from your own existence, you're either really uninformed, stupid, or both. If a substrate is required for your existence, that substrate is either a sufficient cause, and exists, or it is caused by a substrate as well.

This goes all the way down to a substrate that is a sufficient cause (whether or not it's perfectly aware and intelligent like untermensche or the alleged Christian God, or whatever, is a question), in and of itself, with nothing causing it, because it always exists and has existed.

Even though there is evidence that their model is based off of, I will drop the whole theory argument.

Even if there were a lack of evidence, it still doesn't explain why you think infinity is impossible. Is everything with a lack of evidence impossible?

Imaginary invented concepts do not have a likelihood of coming to life.

The Easter Bunny knocking on your door is as likely as finding a real infinity.

Growing wings and flying around the Moon is as likely as finding a real infinity.

It is nothing but foolishness to ever think invented imaginary concepts could ever have a real existence.

It is human arrogance, thinking something can be imagined into existence, combined with ignorance, not knowing when something is a purely imaginary concept.

Back
Top Bottom