• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What evidence is there that Fed policy ever did any good? Why do we worship the Fed chairman?

I think that this is a simple question, one that doesn't even require the use of quote tags.

It's the utterly bizarre and technologically unnecessary, in fact bass-ackwards headers that puzzle the hell out of me. Why reference post numbers and interlocutors explicitly when the automatically generated quote tags perform both functions? It's just stupid.

What annoys me it that the people who do this edit my posts and because they don't use the generated quote I can't easily find my post to see what they edited out. I have to either scan through the entire thread or I have to use the brain dead search function.

It's the utterly bizarre and technologically unnecessary, in fact bass-ackwards headers that puzzle the hell out of me. Why reference post numbers and interlocutors explicitly when the automatically generated quote tags perform both functions? It's just stupid.

What annoys me it that the people who do this edit my posts and because they don't use the generated quote I can't easily find my post to see what they edited out. I have to either scan through the entire thread or I have to use the brain dead search function.

Well yeah, but my point was it actually takes MORE effort to quote Lumpenproletariat/Freetrader's way, which is really weird.

"dynamic"? What's more important? Having a "dynamic" labor market that lets some job-seekers and their families go hungry, or a labor market that expands enough to provide all of them with jobs so their children don't go hungry?

Nevermind your meaningless "dynamic" jargon -- just tell us why QE should not have been raised high enough so that EVERY sincere job-seeker would be able to get into the economy and have the dignity of employment?.....
You keep repeating the same question even after you have been given answers. Which leads me to conclude that you simply use a response as an excuse for blathering bloviations rather than meaningful discussion. Nonetheless, I will repeat it one last time. The Fed did not set out for QE = $1 trillion. The Fed instituted a response to the feared meltdown of the financial system to inject a sufficient level of liquidity into the system in order to avoid the feared meltdown. As time progressed and the fears of an impending meltdown subsided, the Fed slowed the pace of QE because the Fed is aware that its tools and actions have possible multiple effects on the economy. The injection of reserves also keep interest rates lower than otherwise. The Fed maintained a policy of injections of reserves to keep interest rates low in order to stem job losses, to avoid deflation, and to possibly help the economy to start improving. But the Fed is also wary of accelerating inflationary fears, so the Fed tries to maintain a balance.

They why did it accelerate inflation or inflationary expectations by doing even the 1 trillion QE?...
It seems that it did not. Do you have any disinterested evidence (not some twisted rationale) that inflation or inflationary expectations accelerated?

Just because private companies have a natural incentive to not hire more than necessary doesn't change the fact that they will if the government offers them rewards to artificially hire more than necessary and thus offsets that normal incentive to limit their hiring to only the number necessary. It goes without saying that corporate welfare and pork programs give companies an artificial incentive to hire more workers, and this obviously counteracts their normal incentive to not hire unnecessary workers.
That has nothing to do with QE. You seem to be unable to understand the difference between monetary policy and other policies.

So now you're saying that QE does absolutely nothing to encourage more employment in the private sector?....
No. Are you under the delusion that a subsidy and "encouragement" are identical?
QE comes with a price. That price is inflation. You cannot inject a trillion dollars into circulation without causing higher inflation than there would have been otherwise...
That is an unsubstantiated claim.

"fairly unresponsive" means nothing....
No, those words are well-defined.
Lower interest rate means less saving, not more. To say otherwise is asinine. Of course people save less when they are deprived of the benefit of receiving any interest, or if the interest rate is suppressed from 1 or 2 or 3% to near-zero. You have no evidence to show otherwise. Just because savings is also responsive to other factors does not change the fact that it is responsive to the interest rate.
In the US, savings does not seem to be correlated with interest rates. In theory, a reduction in the interest rate has two possible competing effects on saving. First, it reduces the return on saving, which, by itself, should reduce savings (in economics, this is called the substitution effect). However, a reduction in the interest rate also means it takes more savings now to reach a desired future goal, which, by itself, should increase savings (the income effect). Since these have opposite effects, the outcome is an empirical question. It is asinine to claim that one can logically show one effect is larger than the other or that one effect is sufficently larger than the other. Empirically, in the US, savings does not appear to be change much due to changes in the after-tax return.

This might make sense if you mean that the Fed really has done nothing at all to suppress interest rates, but rather has found it necessary to force bank reserves upward, and that only this leads to lower interest rates, which is a RESULT, even an UNINTENDED result of forcing the higher bank reserves.
Increasing bank reserves also means interest rates are pushed down. Changing the level of bank reserves will change interest rates. It is asinine to think otherwise.

So QE was not intended to save or create any jobs, according to you. So your whole premise is that QE had nothing to with reducing unemployment or combating recession. It had nothing to do with promoting "economic growth" or preventing the economy from "slowing down" or with "stimulating the economy" and so on. And anything you said earlier that QE was intended to "save" jobs was false. Or you never said such a stupid thing. OK, I stand corrected. It had nothing to do with unemployment or the recession. And whenever the Fed chairman said something about the recession, I only imagined it, or s/he was lying.
I cannot control what you imagine. Apparently, I cannot influence what you glean from reading posts, because you continue to repeat the same old straw man and economic ignorance.

It's caused by the obsession to save or create "jobs! job! jobs! jobs! jobs!" Just as the Fed's actions are based on this obsession....
Your belief in this does not make it a fact.
But according to you neither the Congress or the Fed has any concern with jobs or recession or "economic growth" or unemployment. Probably even the President cares nothing about unemployment or jobs, according to you. And no economists care about it either.
I never wrote nor implied any such thing. Concern and obsession are different concepts.

And your grandmother smokes cigars!
My grandmothers have been dead for some time. Neither smoked cigars. And none of that has to do with your contradicting yourself. QE works through the private sector. And you said that the private sector is the best judge of whether or not a job is beneficial. So, if any jobs are saved or created from QE, they cannot be not worthwhile.

.....blah blah blah.....This does not contradict anything I said about the private sector having a natural incentive to reduce or eliminate unnecessary jobs. The profit motive gives companies this incentive, but if the state pays them to do something counterproductive or unnecessary, then of course this distorts that incentive and drives the company to hire unnecessary workers, such as a "jobs" program or other corporate welfare program. In this sense there have no doubt been tens of millions of non-beneficial jobs in the private sector, because the state subsidized those jobs.
QE does not subsidize jobs.

So in other words, you are in favor of pushing QE up to the highest point at which it would create new jobs? Only at that point where it would destroy jobs or cause net FEWER jobs would be the stopping point?....
No, I am in favor of people actually reading posts before responding, and showing some evidence of some minimal comprehension of the contents of the posts, not spewing ideologically driven pseudo-economics.

Only in theory.......
No. If is still being debated, it is not proven.

As long as everyone who speaks on it says a stable price level is good, and as long as no one speaks up and claims otherwise, it's reasonable to assume that everyone agrees that a stable price level is good. There is nothing to argue about or to prove if everyone who has anything to say agrees with this. No one is arguing that the price level should be unstable, and so there is no need to argue it or try to prove the need for a stable price level.
Since the central banks around the world do not speak that a stable price level is good nor do they act to maintain a stable price level, it should be obvious that not everyone agrees that a stable price level is good.

So in the 1920s when Germans had to take a wheelbarrow-full of Marks to the store to buy a loaf of bread, there was nothing wrong with that? It isn't "good" to have a price system that avoids that extreme inflationary condition?
You are employing the fallacy of the excluded middle to create a straw man. I did not say that the preferred alternative to a stable price level is hyper-inflation. And it is asinine to suggest that it is.

Once again, you are implying that there is NO need to suppress interest rates, or that there is no desire to reduce interest rates per se, but only to increase bank reserves, and that this increasing bank reserves then causes lower interest rates as a result, or as an UNINTENDED consequence of increasing the bank reserves, and except for this unintended consequence, there is no need or desire to suppress interest rates....
You are confusing "imply" with "creation of straw men". The suppression of interest rates may be a goal, but it need not be the goal of monetary policy. And the "suppression of interest rates" will be a consequence of any monetary policy that increases the supply of money regardless of the primary (or sole) motivation. And monetary policy may have more than one goal.

I think that this is a simple question, one that doesn't even require the use of quote tags.

And it doesn't even work. The message numbers will be wrong if a poster has someone on ignore or the mods remove a post or a thread is split but the numbers the system put in refer to absolute message numbers, not the position in the thread and thus will survive any edits.

If you've lost the autogenerated quote you can simply go back to the original and quote it into a new window and ^c^v the text.

08-18-14, 7:54 AM #95

SimpleDon

You have repeatedly asked why is the Fed intentionally suppressing the interest rate right now. Why doesn't this Fed let the interest rates float and to let the supply and demand set the interest rate?

Why do you believe that the Fed is suppressing the interest rate?

Because they say they are and the Nightly News says they are. And PBS and everyone else. Also because I remember when interest rates were much higher, so something must be happening today to make interest rates higher. And the best explanation is that they are being artificially suppressed, since that's what everyone says is happening.

Most people here who want the interest rate to be set by supply and demand do so on the assumption that the interest rate is the price of capital. If this includes you then you must realize that the supply of capital is currently huge, there is much more capital in the hands of investors and corporations than the economy needs for productive investment. This is why we have repeated asset bubbles in stocks, real estate, commodities, etc.

Our fiscal policies are set up currently to shift income from wages to profits, from the labor share of GDP to the capital share of GDP, from demand to supply.

In what way do you believe policies are set up to do this? I don't believe you on this point unless you can point to certain policies that create this outcome. The shift of income that you're speaking of can easily be explained by other factors of the economy than any policies trying to make this happen artificially.

Over the thirty plus years that these policies have been in effect it means that something on the order of tens of trillions of dollars that would have been wages under the old fiscal policies have been diverted to profits and to capital, savings, most of it by corporations.

What policies? You mean policies that allow companies to take advantage of global cheap labor? As opposed to earlier policies that restricted them and forced them to pay higher labor costs and which artificially transferred wealth from the more competitive to the less competitive and from capital to labor? Which policies do you mean?

If you mean simply lower tax rates on the wealthy, I won't disagree, though I think globalism and automation has played a greater role in the transfer of wealth away from labor, which is not something artificial but a natural outcome of the competitive marketplace and which is still best for all consumers, even if it does result in some increase in inequal distribution of wealth.

This means that there is more capital available and it means that a supply and demand set interest rate would be nearly zero all of the time.

OK it might mean interest rates are lower than they were in the '60s or '70s. But not necessarily near zero. There is no reason to assume that a supply-and-demand only policy for interest rates, without Fed interference, would have to be near zero. Perhaps 1 or 2%. If the value of capital goes down low, then those who want to save must be willing to accept that low return. They aren't entitled to a return that is greater than the value as it is set by the demand for capital.

So then do we agree that the government should not artificially set the interest rate low?

In fact, it can be argued that the Fed usually forces the interest rate up rather than suppresses it. This is understandable, the massive amount of capital available in the financial markets that doesn't stand a chance of being needed to being invested in production facilities. Left to the market the so-called natural rate of interest set by supply and demand would be zero.

How do we know what it would be? How can this be tested?

In any case, you apparently agree with me that there should be no forcing up or down of interest rates by the Fed -- Right?

The idea that the interest rate is the price of capital and that it is best arrived at based on balancing savings and investment, the supply of funds, savings, verses the demand for funds for investment establishing a natural interest rate. That savers put money in the bank that is then loaned out to build factories that produce the products that we need while providing the jobs that we also need.

This is probably something along the lines of what you believe, right?

Then if you were consistent in your beliefs you would be asking why is the Fed always boosting the interest rates?

But why should I believe you that the Fed is doing this, when everyone in the public media says they're doing the opposite?

I don't believe you that the "natural rate of interest" would be zero.

But we apparently agree that the Fed should refrain from any policy of setting interest rates artificially high or low, but should let the market alone set the interest rates based on supply-and-demand. Also refrain from trying to drive up the inflation rate above zero.

And everyone, lenders and borrowers, should have to accept the market-set interest rates, regardless of their personal wishes for it to be higher or lower.

Fine, so then we agree -- let the market set the interest rates, not the Fed.

08-19-2014, 10:32 AM #100

SimpleDon

. . . if you truly believe that interest rates are the price of capital and that the interest rate is set by the supply of capital and the demand for that capital then you should be asking the question why is the Fed trying to boost the interest rate off of what the rate would be if they did nothing, which would be zero right now.

We don't know it would be zero. Why not let the market set the interest rate so we can find out what it would be? Why should the Fed try to push rates either direction?

You are giving one market factor, supply of capital, that determines interest rate, and saying the rates would be low because of the oversupply of capital. However, there is also the demand for capital, and if this increases, it could partly offset the supply factor. So you cannot say for sure that a market-set interest rate would have to be zero or near-zero.

And further, what if the holders of capital have a reluctance to lend it out. Even if they are sitting on lots of capital, still if they don't want to lend it out, shouldn't that drive UP the interest rate to those who do want to lend out their capital? Or, put differently, the REAL supply of capital might be smaller than just all that capital sitting around out there that you're talking about.

So there are other factors determining the interest rates than just the oversupply of capital, and the real market-set rate might not be as low as you assume. The best thing to do is let the market do it and wait to see what happens.

There is a conclusion to be drawn from the fact that the Fed is trying to suppress the interest rate at a time when the interest rates would be zero if they were set by the supply and demand for capital. Can you tell us what that conclusion should be?

They must be doing something else that forces UP interest rates, but which no one knows about or talks about. A conspiracy!

So then we agree that the Fed should stop all its policies to force the interest rate either up or down. That's the logical conclusion to draw from everything said so far on this.

If we don't replace the money that is destroyed and we don't increase the money supply to allow for growth we will face decreased savings, increased private debt and eventually deflation, the increase in the value of the money. These are all really bad for the economy.

So, keep the price level steady. Keep inflation at zero, and don't manipulate interest rates. Money can be infused into the economy, or taken out during inflation, without any need to manipulate interest rates. No one has shown why it is necessary to artificially set interest rates higher or lower than the market-set level.

The normal way to create this money to avoid increased private debt and eventually deflation is for the government to run a budget deficit. They spend the money into existence by the amount of the deficit.

But they do it by running up debt, which is not necessary. And it is not true that the government must routinely run a deficit. But when more money has to be created, it can be done by budget deficits WITHOUT borrowing or running up more debt, as we've been doing.

The reason for the deficits and increased money goes beyond just maintaining a steady money supply or controlling inflation. That is the legitimate need. But it is also done to goose the economy, to force "economic growth" and "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" -- and this is where we have gone wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain a steady money supply or a steady price level. If we had just stuck to doing this, our economy would be stronger and we wouldn't have so much debt.

But none of this answers the question why interest rates per se should be suppressed.

Because in a normal recession, what is termed a cyclical recession, lowering the interest rates encourages home construction and the purchase of big ticket items like automobiles and white goods, appliances. More loans are made and more money is created.

Yes, to goose the economy, which does no net good, and does net harm because it distorts the market from performing according to supply-and-demand. If there really is deflation taking place, some extra infusion of money is needed, but that's not needed unless the inflation rate drops below zero, which is very rare.

There is no reason for the government to give artificial boosts to home construction or "big ticket" (or even "small ticket") items or "white goods" or "black goods" or "green goods" or any other particular kind of goods. Why should the government be picking out certain kinds of products and saying there needs to be more spending on these? Why should government dictate that there needs to be more spending on ANYthing?

What's wrong with an economy where the total spending might DECREASE at some periods? Why is that a bad thing? Why do people have to keep spending at some prescribed rate dictated by the state? Maybe the stuff being produced is becoming less desirable or there's less stuff out there worth buying.

Less spending means the producers are doing something wrong and need to improve their performance and start providing something consumers are willing to pay for. Or maybe reduce their prices to a level that is worth paying in return for the value.

But there's no need for the state to start kicking consumers around and demanding that they buy more stuff. Why is it the state's proper role to dictate to us how much buying and selling we're supposed to do?

But what we had in 2008 was not a normal recession, it was one caused by the financial crisis brought on by the banks and the financial markets bad behavior because they lacked adequate adult supervision. In such a recession banks aren't loaning money because they don't know how far the rot in their business goes. No loans are written. Obviously no homes were being built.

Whatever was wrong, it does not follow that the state is supposed to artificially promote more home-buying or more spending on anything. Punish the criminals, recover assets that were stolen, stop any bad regulations, do the necessary corrections to prevent further bad behavior, including to make sure that the state itself stops promoting some of the bad behavior, and so on.

But don't start dictating to consumers what they're supposed to spend money on or that they're supposed to increase their spending, and don't start picking winners and losers by subsidizing certain producers at the expense of everyone else, and don't promote "jobs! jobs! jobs!" just for the sake of jobs that we'll all have to pay for.

It doesn't matter how low the interest rates are or how much money that they have in their reserve accounts. Credit dried up overnight. Outstanding lines of credit were canceled, loans that could be called in were called in. Outstanding loans weren't renewed. But it was even worse than that because consumers stopped spending and concentrated on paying down their personal debt. Businesses canceled investments in plant construction and did the same, they paid down their debt.

The Fed has a limited number of tools. One is to lower interest rates.

To accomplish what? It is not true that we need the state to goose the economy. It does not need to drive people to spend more, or to borrow more. All it should do is correct its own bad behavior and penalize anyone who did something criminal. Its only legitimate role in managing the economy is to keep the price level stable. And just enforce the rules, uphold contracts, prosecute fraud, etc. Why should it be setting ANY prices, including interest rates?

Two is to create money and to deposit it in the accounts of the member banks. Both of these depend on the banks increasing the number and amounts of the loans that they write. But the banks were reluctant to write loans and consumers were reluctant to borrow money to buy things. The net result was that neither of these tools got money into the economy. It doesn't do any good just sitting in the bank. To do any good it has to circulate through the economy.

If inflation drops below 0, then let the Congress (or the Fed) create money in a manner that allows some deficit or payment on the budget which is not borrowed. Do as much of this as necessary to get enough new money circulating to bring inflation back to zero. But no more than this is needed.

Don't create the new money by lowering interest rates, which is not necessary. And don't assume that we must get people to borrow more or get banks to lend out more money. It's not necessary to dictate to anyone how much they should spend or borrow or loan out to someone. All these behaviors should be determined by the market only, not by the government pretending to know how the people should behave.

What the Fed wants is for more people to buy more things, to borrow more money. Lowering interest rates and increasing bank reserves are two of the ways that they tried to do this.

Why should people have to buy more things or borrow more money? Why should the Fed pretend to know how much people should buy or how much money they should borrow? If this is why they lower interest rates or increase bank reserves, then they should stop doing either of these. What need is there for the Fed or anyone in the government to impose its theories onto society about how much people should be spending or borrowing?

But they failed. Even the QEs had only a limited degree of success. The bottom line is that in a recession triggered by a crisis in the financial markets monetary policy, what the Fed does, is not very useful. This was a surprise to the economists who run the Fed, they are all monetarists, they believed that they could pull us out of a recession with only monetary policy. They were wrong. A few even realize it.

Why is it the Fed's or anyone else's proper role to "pull us out of a recession" (translation: "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!)?

What was the "limited degree of success" of the QEs? How do we know that this produced any net good rather than a net harm?

Why isn't it OK to question all this goosing-the-economy rhetoric and for someone to answer why we need the Fed or Congress to try to force the economy to go faster? The nation is not a herd of cattle that's moving too slowly.

attachment.php

08-19-2014, 08:02 PM #103

laughing dog

. . . just tell us why QE should not have been raised high enough so that EVERY sincere job-seeker would be able to get into the economy and have the dignity of employment?

You keep repeating the same question even after you have been given answers. . . . Nonetheless, I will repeat it one last time. The Fed did not set out for QE = $1 trillion.

But eventually they decided that this was the right amount. More would be too much, but this much was a net benefit. But why did they think this? Why should we believe it? No reason is given. And that's the question. Why this amount? And now you're going to give us the answer, finally.

So now here comes the answer at last. TRUMPETS! FAT LADY:

The Fed instituted a response to the feared meltdown of the financial system to inject a sufficient level of liquidity into the system in order to avoid the feared meltdow . . .

Whoa! What "feared meltdown"? In 2011? 2012? At this point the economy was slowly "recovering" and the worst of the financial crisis was over.

What the Fed chairman was saying and what the pundits were saying at this time is that it was necessary to help the economy recover a little quicker, and that something was needed, and that the low interest rates were not enough.

They were not fearing another collapse such as in 2008/2009. They were fearing an unemployment level lingering at around 7% or so and thought something was needed to boost the economy a little or to get it moving, and maybe some "stimulus" would be the right medicine or catalyst. The fear was that the economy was recovering too slowly, or virtually not recovering and needing just a little further "kick" to help it along.

However, "meltdown" usually means something more drastic, like a collapse and wave of bankruptcies and chain reaction of failures. This is not what was feared at the time that they enacted the $1 trillion QE. The more extreme fear of "meltdown" was what they were concerned about back in 2008-09, but not in 2012 when they were doing QE.

What reason is there to believe there would have been any such collapse in 2011-12 if there were no $1 trillion or so "stimulus" or QE?

So I think you're off base saying QE was done to prevent a "meltdown" in the sense of a grand collapse or wave of bankruptcies. It was an "economic stimulus" to try to do what the Congress was not doing because of higher debt fears, and so the Fed came up with its own "stimulus" program, or "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" stimulus to do for the economy what the Congress was unable to do.

And the question is: why stop at only $1 trillion, when a higher "stimulus" would help give the economy an even better "jobs! jobs! jobs!" kick -- why not even more than the $1 trillion in order to bring the unemployment rate down even further?

And now you're going to answer this question, which has nothing to do with any supposed "meltdown" but will explain why $1 trillion was the right amount of QE and not a higher figure. And your answer is -- TRUMPETS! FAT LADY again:

As time progressed and the fears of an impending meltdown subsided . . .

Oops! No no, get off the "meltdown" jargon. Answer why they chose $1 trillion as the right amount of QE.

I don't think "fears of an impending meltdown" were the main concern at the time that QE was going at the rate of $1 trillion per year. Of course such fears exist always, at any time, and there's always some alarmist somewhere predicting financial/economic doomsday in one form or another. But when did Bernanke speak this way about the need for QE?

Much more common, as an explanation for extended QE, was the following kind of rhetoric:

The Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke announced the eagerly awaited QE3 on Thursday promising unlimited money printing till the US economy and unemployment situation recover!
http://warrentrader.com/category/news/

Of course Bernanke's announcement might not have been this extreme ("unlimited money printing"), but he did many times say QE was necessary until the economy recovered or unemployment decreased further. He did say more and more QE would be necessary, and more recently when the employment numbers began to improve, he (and Yellen) announced the lower need for QE and eventually phasing it out. Not because the "meltdown" fears were over, but because the jobs numbers were improving.

So I question your assertion that QE was intended to head off some "impending meltdown." I do not believe Bernanke used this rhetoric to explain the need for QE. Can you show a quote like that from him? But there are many quotes about the need to get the economy to recover from the recession and get the unemployment numbers down.

So I believe QE was done mainly for the cause of "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" and not to head off any "impending meltdown."

So then anyway, your answer to our question is . . .

. . . the Fed slowed the pace of QE because the Fed is aware that its tools and actions have possible multiple effects on the economy. The injection of reserves also keep interest rates lower than otherwise. The Fed maintained a policy of injections of reserves to keep interest rates low in order to stem job losses, to avoid deflation, and to possibly help the economy to start improving.

Now you're making more sense. And that "avoid deflation" really means preventing inflation from going much under 2%. In other words, not only avoid deflation, but PROMOTE INFLATION as an additional form of "stimulus" to goose the economy. Because the truth is that there is very little danger of inflation really going below zero, which is what "DEflation" really means.

The fact that they virtually redefine "deflation" as any inflation rate below 2% shows that we're on a crusade to promote inflation and create permanent "economic stimulus" by throwing more money into circulation to crank up that "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" juggernaut.

But anyway, you were going to tell us why QE had to be $1 trillion but no more. You haven't answered that. So then your answer is . . .

But the Fed is also wary of accelerating inflationary fears, so the Fed tries to maintain a balance.

"balance" = keeping inflation up to 2% but not much higher, i.e., keeping the "economic stimulus" up as high as we dare to get as much of those "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" as we can without too much damage from the higher inflation.

But how do we know that the $1 trillion was the right amount to get the needed "jobs! jobs! jobs!" and not cause damage from higher inflation? You're implying that a higher QE would have caused inflation damage. But how do we know that? If the $1 trillion caused no inflation damage, which you suggest, then why assume that $2 or $3 trillion would cause any such damage?

Then why did it accelerate inflation or inflationary expectations by doing even the 1 trillion QE?

It seems that it did not.

How does it seem that? If you're so sure it did not, then why assume that an additional 1 or 2 trillion would "accelerate inflation or inflationary expectations"?

The truth is that we don't know how much extra inflation it caused. Just as we don't know how much extra pollution damage is caused by each individual gallon of gas that is burned, or each 1000 gallons. Or how much extra inflation would be caused by an additional 1 or 2 trillion QE.

But we're digressing. What's the answer to the question why QE had to be $1 trillion and not $2 or $3 trillion? and your answer is . . .

Do you have any disinterested evidence (not some twisted rationale) that inflation or inflationary expectations accelerated?

Do you have any disinterested evidence that $2 or $3 trillion QE would have accelerated inflation or inflationary expectations? No you don't. So then why do you assume that more than $1 trillion would have caused such inflation acceleration?

There is no way to prove empirically what the inflation rate would have been without QE. Even if QE had been $4 or $5 trillion per year, maybe even $8 or $10 trillion, we would not have clear empirical evidence of inflation caused by it. Just as we have no empirical evidence how much extra pollution damage is caused by another 1000 or 10,000 gallons of gas burned. Maybe even an additional 100,000 gallons.

To get such empirical evidence, the influx of new money has to be great enough to cause a calamity, so that the evidence would be strong enough to prove that this extra "stimulus" must have been the cause of the sudden inflation explosion.

We know that extra money put into circulation has to cause some incremental higher inflation. All we need is a brain to figure that out. But we cannot measure the amount of this incremental increase, because we cannot control all the variables that can impact on the price level and inflation rate. But that doesn't mean there is no inflation increase. Just because you can't measure it doesn't mean it isn't there.

There are many examples of this in economics. One example is your assumption that $2 or $3 trillion would have accelerated inflation. You can't prove this. And yet you believe it, based on your answer above.

If you don't believe this, then again, for the 100th time, explain why it was right for the Fed to halt QE at only $1 trillion. Your only answer so far is fear of inflation. But you obviously can give no justification for this fear.

The only reason to fear this inflation is the general principle that ANY QE has to cause inflation, including only $1 trillion QE. And yet above you say there is no such inflation because there is no evidence to prove it. And for this same reason there is also no such inflation from $2 or $3 trillion QE. Where is the evidence of inflation from $2 or $3 trillion QE that is lacking in the case of $1 trillion?

It is idiotic to believe that everything that happens in the economy is measurable and that unless we measure it and prove it empirically it must not have happened. That would be the same as saying there is no pollution damage from another 10,000 gallons of gas burned, because we cannot measure it empirically.

And thus, we know that there was some incremental added inflation from that $1 trillion QE.

So again, what is your answer to why QE had to be halted at $1 trillion? You said above:

You keep repeating the same question even after you have been given answers. . . . Nonetheless, I will repeat it one last time. The Fed did not . . .

So you're supposed to "repeat" the answer to this one last time. I'm still waiting for this answer from you. You have not given it above. You spoke about some imagined "meltdown" which was off topic, and you spoke of fears of inflation, but there is no evidence of inflation as you pointed out above, and so why fear something for which there is no evidence?

If evidence is required in order to believe that $1 trillion QE was inflationary, then evidence is also required in order to believe that $2 or $3 trillion would be inflationary.

So again, why was $1 trillion the necessary limit to QE? Why not $2 or $3 trillion, which would have created more "jobs! jobs! jobs!" than the $1 trillion created. You promised to give the answer, and that answer is . . . whoops! no, another digression:

Just because private companies have a natural incentive to not hire more than necessary doesn't change the fact that they will if the government offers them rewards to artificially hire more than necessary and thus offsets that normal incentive to limit their hiring to only the number necessary. It goes without saying that corporate welfare and pork programs give companies an artificial incentive to hire more workers, and this obviously counteracts their normal incentive to not hire unnecessary workers.

That has nothing to do with QE.

The same principle is at work, whether the extra money into the economy comes from budget deficits or from QE. Throw an additional trillion into circulation and there will be some new jobs as a result. And the cost of it, or the net harm done, comes later with the inflation it causes. So it is proper to describe "stimulus" from the Congress and "stimulus" from the Fed's QE in the same terms, and recognize the same basic fallacy in either.

(But where's that promised answer to the original question above?)

So now you're saying that QE does absolutely nothing to encourage more employment in the private sector?

No. Are you under the delusion that a subsidy and "encouragement" are identical?

I will grant that this kind of "stimulus" (QE) could theoretically be in a form that does not single out particular recipients for special benefit at the cost of taxpayers and consumers, like corporate welfare or pork programs do. At least theoretically it can be something which is disbursed into the economy with no targeting to special interests, and so theoretically you might claim it's not a "subsidy" per se.

But in reality it probably goes to certain special interests who know how to pounce on it and get their disproportionate share of it that all the rest of us have to pay for.

SimpleDon says that QE went mainly to the rich, mainly investors, and not to average workers or regular folks or small business. If he's right, don't you have to grant that this is a "subsidy" to those beneficiaries?

QE comes with a price. That price is inflation. You cannot inject a trillion dollars into circulation without causing higher inflation than there would have been otherwise.

That is an unsubstantiated claim.

No more unsubstantiated than your claim that higher than $1 trillion would have been inflationary. You gave this as the only reason why QE was stopped at $1 trillion, above when you promised to answer why $1 trillion QE was the right amount. But now you're saying such fear or claim of higher inflation is "unsubstantiated" because there's no data to prove it.

What does substantiate the fear of inflation is reason, but not the "data" which you're insisting is the only way to "substantiate" anything. The reasoning is the same as economists or forecasters use when they say that damage to the corn crop or the citrus crop results in higher future prices for these commodities. Usually there is no empirical evidence to prove that the crop damage caused higher prices later.

It is not true that everything we know about the economy and how supply-and-demand works is dependent on empirical data to prove it and that we know nothing unless it is proved by empirical data. Again the example of pollution in small amounts proves this point. By extension, your logic is that one car alone causes no pollution, because there is no empirical evidence that any one car emitting exhaust fumes by itself increases the pollution level. According to you, the claim that each car does contribute to the pollution is an "unsubstantiated claim."

There's a huge amount of economic facts or truth which we know that is not derived from empirical data. But it is "substantiated" by reason, and also past experience helps us to see the economic patterns and identify some cause-and-effect events that happen, even though we often don't have the empirical data to prove those events, or to prove that a particular event A caused or contributed to a result B.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
08-19-2014, 08:02 PM #103

laughing dog

(continued)

Lower interest rate means less saving, not more. To say otherwise is asinine. Of course people save less when they are deprived of the benefit of receiving any interest, or if the interest rate is suppressed from 1 or 2 or 3% to near-zero. You have no evidence to show otherwise. Just because savings is also responsive to other factors does not change the fact that it is responsive to the interest rate.

In the US, savings does not seem to be correlated with interest rates.

I don't believe you have proof of this, or strong evidence. You can cite a few economists who believe it and even claim there is evidence for it, but they are oddball economists with their own goofy interpretations, and are not in the majority.

The U.S. savings rate might be lower than in most other countries, yes, but that doesn't indicate that there is no correlation of the savings rate to interest rates in the U.S. or anywhere, i.e., higher interest rate causing higher savings rate.

Do economists generally agree that there's no correlation of interest rate to savings rate? Do they reject the traditional market principle that higher reward (interest) leads to increased behavior to get that reward? I suggest this notion is held only by a small minority of economists who are on a crusade to debunk traditional supply-and-demand market theory.

Such ideologues probably could come up with some "data" somewhere that they can twist in order to provide seeming support for the idea. But how much do they leave out of their analysis in order to come up with this theory which contradicts supply-and-demand? I doubt that most economists subscribe to this notion.

In theory, a reduction in the interest rate has two possible competing effects on saving. First, it reduces the return on saving, which, by itself, should reduce savings (in economics, this is called the substitution effect). However, a reduction in the interest rate also means it takes more savings now to reach a desired future goal, which, by itself, should increase savings (the income effect).

No, you're assuming that there is a target figure a saver is thinking about in adding to his/her savings, and that when this amount is finally reached there is no longer any more need to add to the savings. This is not what savers are doing generally. Even in cases where they do have some such general figure in mind for the future (which is probably fewer than half of them), there are 2 reasons why it does not cause them to stop saving when they reach that point:

1) they never do reach that point, because it is set rather high and is difficult to reach, and they continue saving at the same rate (and sometimes neglecting to save because it's too difficult), and so there is never any real decline in their savings rate, which goes up and down (but more often up); and

2) even in cases where they do reach that target figure they thought of earlier, by that time they are driven by the same urge to save still more, because the goal changes, the need for future security drives them to want to save even more, and the increased wealth they have accumulated causes their demands for the future to increase and thus increases their perceived need for future savings.

No doubt you have found 1 or 2 economists who subscribe to this theory of reduced need to save once the "desired future goal" is reached. But this again sounds like oddball economics and not mainstream. These are crusaders who are out to prove that "the world is flat" as it were.

Though "income effect" and "substitution effect" may be standard rhetoric for mainline economics, for analyzing consumer choices, it looks like a stretch to apply this to savings/interest rate to prove that higher interest rates are not a net incentive to increase savings or are not correlated to a higher savings rate. That is not mainline, but oddball.

Since these have opposite effects, the outcome is an empirical question.

No, these do not have equally-opposing or offsetting effects. It's not true that a significant number of savers are targeting a "desired future goal" and when reaching it then change and stop saving. Though such behavior has an "opposite" effect in terms of the interest rate, there are so few savers who fit this description that this behavior does not offset the far more common behavior of the vast majority of savers who do not have any such "desired future goal" of some target figure at which point having been reached they then stop saving.

It is asinine to claim that one can logically show one effect is larger than the other or that one effect is sufficently larger than the other.

The logic is that your premise is wrong, i.e., the premise that the urge to save is confined to a single "desired future goal" in the sense of some particular target figure, of so many dollars, that one needs to reach, like the finish line in a race, at which the point the effort ends and one no longer strives to save or the urge to save disappears. Since this premise is false, your conclusion is false.

If one is thinking of long-term future financial security, it's obvious that one's perception of how much they need changes as their wealth level increases, and there is no such "finish line" at which point they don't need to save any further.

And logically it's undeniable that in cases where they never reach the "desired future goal" target figure, their effort never ceases and the saving urge keeps driving them to save as they are able to.

How often has someone said: "Well I finally have reached the amount needed for my goal, so I'm not going to save any more."? This is not the real world, real people. The urge to save is not that fixed on some single target figure, in the sense of a particular number that stays the same over many years. Yes, maybe for a few months or a year or 2, but that figure starts changing as the conditions change. The basic urge to save is not fixed in that way and continues to drive them on to higher savings and higher future goals.

That fundamental instinct to save does not end but rather drives the saver on.

In many cases the interest accumulated is only a small part of the additional savings, so that it has only minimum effect in helping one reach a "desired future goal" because it's one's earnings or revenue that is the main addition to the savings and not the interest accumulation.

Empirically, in the US, savings does not appear to be change much due to changes in the after-tax return.

You are wording this too carefully, which indicates that you have no empirical evidence that higher interest rate does not encourage higher savings rate. All you have any evidence for is that the savings rate in the U.S. is lower than in most other countries. But there is no evidence against the market principle that higher interest rate leads to higher savings rate.

This might make sense if you mean that the Fed really has done nothing at all to suppress interest rates, but rather has found it necessary to force bank reserves upward, and that only this leads to lower interest rates, which is a RESULT, even an UNINTENDED result of forcing the higher bank reserves.

Increasing bank reserves also means interest rates are pushed down. Changing the level of bank reserves will change interest rates.

That's not the point. The point is that you're implying that there is no goal by the Fed to reduce interest rates per se, but only to increase bank reserves. You're saying that they do not do anything to reduce interest rates, i.e., for the purpose of reducing interest rates, but rather that the lower interest happens only as a byproduct of what they really want, which is to increase bank reserves.

And therefore all the talk we hear about suppressing interest rates is a deception, because this is not what the Fed really wants to do, even though everyone including the Fed keeps saying this is what they want. And this makes no sense. There is no reason for them to keep saying they are suppressing interest rates for the sake of these lower rates per se if this is not what they really want, i.e., if this is happening only because it's a byproduct of the increased bank reserves.

What would make sense is for them to say what they're really doing (if you're correct), which is to increase bank reserves, and, if need be, explain that interest rates might decline as a byproduct of this. But since they don't say this, it must not really be what they're doing. What they're doing is suppressing interest rates per se, as a goal in itself.

And the only explanation for it is the need to goose the economy, i.e., "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" etc. And this explanation is getting worn out and it's amazing that people are not getting tired of it and saying "Shut up! We're tired of you imposing all this cost onto us only to promote this 'jobs! jobs! jobs!' obsession."

Where is the evidence that this preoccupation with "jobs! jobs! jobs!" and "economic stimulus" has been worth the cost we've had to pay for it? How do we know these measures in the past have not simply forced us to enact still more of them now, at still more cost, to sustain the "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" levels they created earlier? Are we not now addicted to doing more and more of the same only to sustain those previous "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!"? at the cost of continuing higher inflation? and suppressed savings? and higher national debt (in the case of Congress and its ongoing deficits)?

In fact isn't the Fed really trying to pick up where Congress is partially leaving off (for fear of too much higher debt), by continuing the "jobs! jobs! jobs!" stimulation in a different form than the high deficits the Congress kept running for several years? Weren't there demands from pundits like Krugman and others to increase the "stimulus" amounts much higher, and isn't the Fed trying to accommodate these demands (or at least to maintain the deficit "stimulus") with their alternative QE version of "stimulus"?

And isn't this also what the lower interest rates are for? not a byproduct of something else (higher bank reserves, which no one talks about), but a tool to try to goose the economy as the budget deficits are declining and are no longer high enough to provide the necessary goosing the economy supposedly needs?

It's obvious that this is what the suppressed interest rates are for, and are not something that just happens accidentally as an unintended byproduct of higher bank reserves.

So QE was not intended to save or create any jobs, according to you. So your whole premise is that QE had nothing to with reducing unemployment or combating recession. It had nothing to do with promoting "economic growth" or preventing the economy from "slowing down" or with "stimulating the economy" and so on. And anything you said earlier that QE was intended to "save" jobs was false. Or you never said such a stupid thing. OK, I stand corrected. It had nothing to do with unemployment or the recession. And whenever the Fed chairman said something about the recession, I only imagined it, or s/he was lying.

I cannot control what you imagine. Apparently, I cannot influence what you glean from reading posts, because you continue to repeat the same old straw man and economic ignorance.

Translation: Of course QE was intended to save or create jobs and goose the economy, and also the suppressing of interest rates is for this purpose and is not simply a byproduct of increasing bank reserves, which is completely off the topic. The issue is: Why do they suppress interest rates and why did they do QE? And the obvious answer is: to goose the economy, "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" just as the budget deficits were intended for.

And no one can explain how this "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" obsession is making the economy any better off in the long run and is anything other than a quick-fix instant-gratification measure each time, with no long-term benefit.

You can give no reason why $1 trillion QE was good for the economy but that $2 or $3 trillion would have been too much.

It's caused by the obsession to save or create "jobs! job! jobs! jobs! jobs!" Just as the Fed's actions are based on this obsession.

Your belief in this does not make it a fact.

All you disagree with is the word "obsession" and the "jobs! jobs! jobs!" terminology. But you cannot deny that the Fed's measures were done for the reason I'm giving, with the only qualifier that you don't like the terminology. You have given no reason for the Fed's behavior other than what I'm calling the "jobs! jobs! jobs! obsession" but what you want to call by some other name.

Will you agree that this is the reason if we just call it the "jobs! jobs! jobs! concern" instead of "obsession"? Or how about only "jobs! jobs!" instead of "jobs! jobs! jobs!"? Or eliminate the exclamation points? Why are you so hung up on the semantics and punctuation instead of the substance?

But according to you neither the Congress or the Fed has any concern with jobs or recession or "economic growth" or unemployment. Probably even the President cares nothing about unemployment or jobs, according to you. And no economists care about it either.

I never wrote nor implied any such thing. Concern and obsession are different concepts.

You only object to calling it an "obsession" -- other than this, you agree with me that the Fed's motive or reason is "jobs" -- and the only difference is that I call this an "obsession" and you're offended at this terminology. And you cannot explain the need for these "jobs" and have no more explanation for the Fed's behavior than that of an "obsession" or being driven to do something without giving a good explanation for it. Or that of a drug addict who is driven to get another fix and can't explain the need for it other than as a quick-fix gratification.

You said you were going to give us an explanation why $1 trillion was necessary whereas more than this would be too much. But you gave no such explanation, as I showed above. So since there is no explanation for this $1 trillion QE, what's wrong with calling it an "obsession"? Isn't it an "obsession" when someone is driven to do something but can give no coherent explanation or reason for it? And especially when its devotees fall all over themselves pretending to give a reason or explanation but still fail to do so?

QE works through the private sector. And you said that the private sector is the best judge of whether or not a job is beneficial. So, if any jobs are saved or created from QE, they cannot be not worthwhile.

If I said any job in the private sector has to be a net benefit to society, I was an asshole at that moment.

If that job has to be subsidized by a government (including Fed) "economic stimulus" program that we all have to pay for, then it is not a net benefit to society. If it's only because there was an injection of new money into circulation that those "jobs" were created, then those "jobs" are coming at a cost to society that a net beneficial job does not require, because a true beneficial job creates enough benefit so that it is paid for by those who buy the company's product or service. This is how a beneficial "job" is paid for, not by inflating the money supply to cause artificial uncompetitive "jobs" to be created.

(Obviously there are many jobs which cannot be neatly categorized into the net beneficial vs. the subsidized ones. The difference is clear, and some are clearly in one category or the other, and others are marginal and cannot be clearly categorized. Still the basic difference is that the net beneficial jobs are those that would exist anyway, without the "stimulus" that was necessary to cause the artificial jobs.)

This does not contradict anything I said about the private sector having a natural incentive to reduce or eliminate unnecessary jobs. The profit motive gives companies this incentive, but if the state pays them to do something counterproductive or unnecessary, then of course this distorts that incentive and drives the company to hire unnecessary workers, such as a "jobs" program or other corporate welfare program. In this sense there have no doubt been tens of millions of non-beneficial jobs in the private sector, because the state subsidized those jobs.

QE does not subsidize jobs.

Companies that benefit from QE and hire workers they would not otherwise have hired are getting an effective subsidy.

What about some rich investors who benefit from QE, as SimpleDon claims -- aren't they being subsidized, assuming SD is correct in saying they benefited from QE?

And if you recognize that such a benefit is a "subsidy" to those rich investors, why isn't it also a "subsidy" to anyone else who benefits from QE? like a business that gained higher profit and was able to hire more workers, or like any workers or jobseekers who got hired? Why isn't that a "subsidy" to them just as much as a benefit gained by a rich investor is a subsidy?

No. If is still being debated, it is not proven.

Has it been proven that the Earth is round (spherical) and not flat? This question is still sometimes debated. There was a radio talk show a few years ago in which a guest representing the Flat Earth Society debated this with the host and several callers to the program. The guest gave many arguments that the challengers could not answer.

Isn't that a "debate"? If people disagree on a topic and argue, isn't it a "debate"? Do you claim that only recognized "experts" licensed by the State are true "debaters" and all others are charlatans or imposters? Are the arguments on this message board real "debates"?

I said the Fed has never "proved" that QE was a net benefit and that we should not just take their word for it. This doesn't mean "proving" it as an absolute truth, like a tautology such as 2 + 2 = 4. It means making a strong case, giving strong evidence, whether empirical data or deductive logic or just "common sense" that clearly demonstrates the benefit and relatively low cost of the QE in terms of inflation or other damage.

It's not good enough to show that some "jobs" were created, which no doubt is the case, but making the case that these "jobs" were worth the cost that society had to pay. If the QE had been $20 trillion isn't it obvious that any "jobs" created would not be worth the cost society would pay for all that extra inflation?

Shouldn't the Fed or its devotees be able to give some evidence ("proof") that the extra inflation caused was relatively small compared to all the needed "jobs" that resulted? Shouldn't they have to give some evidence or "proof" that these extra "jobs" were really worth it? Do we just have to take it on Faith that there was a net gain rather than a loss?

But such "proof" does not mean that the issue is closed forever and that no more debate should take place. You are wrong to say "If is still being debated, it is not proven." No, in the loose sense it can be proven, i.e., a strong case can be made, enough logic or data offered to support the claim, e.g., that QE worked, even though there can still be doubt and questioning of it and further debate.

Aren't many issues still debated that were "resolved" and decided upon in the past based on "proof" given by those who favored one side and prevailed or got their view adopted? Hasn't it been "proved" that Oswald alone shot JFK? Hasn't it been "proved" that LBJ's War on Poverty succeeded in reducing poverty in America? These questions are still open to "debate" even though one side "proved" they were right and won the argument for now.

As long as everyone who speaks on it says a stable price level is good, and as long as no one speaks up and claims otherwise, it's reasonable to assume that everyone agrees that a stable price level is good. There is nothing to argue about or to prove if everyone who has anything to say agrees with this. No one is arguing that the price level should be unstable, and so there is no need to argue it or try to prove the need for a stable price level.

Since the central banks around the world do not speak that a stable price level is good . . .

Yes they do speak that.

. . . nor do they act to maintain a stable price level . . .

Yes they do generally, or try to. When they fail, it's because of some kind of mistake or carelessness, but not because they don't want a stable price level.

. . . it should be obvious that not everyone agrees that a stable price level is good.

No that's not obvious. They all agree that a stable price level is good, and no one says otherwise.

So anyway, everything you're saying on this topic then is based on your premise that Central Banks generally do not want a stable price level?

So in the 1920s when Germans had to take a wheelbarrow-full of Marks to the store to buy a loaf of bread, there was nothing wrong with that? It isn't "good" to have a price system that avoids that extreme inflationary condition?

You are employing the fallacy of the excluded middle to create a straw man. I did not say that the preferred alternative to a stable price level is hyper-inflation.

You didn't say it wasn't. You didn't rule it out. So now will you rule it out, to set the record straight? Is inflation like that of Germany in the 1920s a bad thing? And if so, why is it bad? In your effort to say why it's bad you will find it difficult not to appeal to the need for "stable" prices.

And what about the more moderate inflation the U.S. had in the late 1970s and about which there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. This wasn't bad for the country? Why was it bad? Try to explain why it was bad without implying there's a need for "stable" prices.

If you prescribe an inflation rate to stay within the range of around 1-2%, and not go higher, that is just a different prescription for a "stable price level" than one of keeping it at zero. The only argument for such an inflation rate (above zero) is that you think this is actually more "stable" than one at zero.

To say a "stable price level" is not an agreed or desirable goal is engaging in semantics and not substance. You can't quote anyone advocating an unstable price level.

08-19-2014, 10:32 AM #100

SimpleDon

Please learn how to properly quote posts. When you edit out the first quote and replace it with my name bolded it means that I can't refer back to my post to see what you have edited out of my post. It is rude quite frankly. And when you do this when I quote you post it cuts off the first of my posts, leaving only your response. I have gone back and copied your edit of my post. It is below.

SimpleDon edited by Lumpenproletariat said:
. . . if you truly believe that interest rates are the price of capital and that the interest rate is set by the supply of capital and the demand for that capital then you should be asking the question why is the Fed trying to boost the interest rate off of what the rate would be if they did nothing, which would be zero right now.

We don't know it would be zero. Why not let the market set the interest rate so we can find out what it would be? Why should the Fed try to push rates either direction?

You are giving one market factor, supply of capital, that determines interest rate, and saying the rates would be low because of the oversupply of capital. However, there is also the demand for capital, and if this increases, it could partly offset the supply factor. So you cannot say for sure that a market-set interest rate would have to be zero or near-zero.

Now see how much better that is? Now we have my edited quote and your response. It would be better if you hadn't edited out the back reference to my post, but baby steps, right?

I said that supply is high and demand is low. That is how we know that the interest rates would be zero right now if the supply and demand for capital set the interest rates as you believe that it should. This is because there is no costs of production of money. Is price, the interest rate according to you, can therefore be forced to zero. No holders of capital are going bankrupt if interest rates are at zero.

And further, what if the holders of capital have a reluctance to lend it out. Even if they are sitting on lots of capital, still if they don't want to lend it out, shouldn't that drive UP the interest rate to those who do want to lend out their capital? Or, put differently, the REAL supply of capital might be smaller than just all that capital sitting around out there that you're talking about.

This is an argument against letting supply and demand set the interest rates, which is your argument, not mine. This is easy when you come up with the best arguments against your own positions.

This is one of Keynes' arguments against letting the capital markets setting the interest rates. He called it liquidity preference.

See, you are a Keynesian! Congratulations!

Money is not a commodity. It doesn't have any substitutes that consumers can replace it with. Money's importance to people far exceeds its interest income potential.

It is expressed many ways, the velocity of money, the demand for money or Keynes and now your liquidity preference, but they all boil down to the same thing, the human factor. How willing are people to spend or invest based on how they feel about the economy. Are people optimistic or are they pessimistic? It is the reason that economics is a social science not a pure science like physics. There aren't any natural hard and fast rules, no laws of economics. It is a subjective study.

The biggest problem with the human factor is the herd instinct. People tend to believe what everybody else believes. This means that the liquidity preference of nearly everyone is the same at the same time. People are all pessimistic in recessions, prolonging the recession and forcing it deeper. . This human factor is pro-cyclical, it makes recessions worse, it is what builds asset bubbles. This human factor is why we need counter cyclical agents like the Fed and the government.

So there are other factors determining the interest rates than just the oversupply of capital, and the real market-set rate might not be as low as you assume. The best thing to do is let the market do it and wait to see what happens.

The fact that there are other factors is the reason why the market can't be relied on to set the interest rate. As you seemed to have reasoned yourself.

There is a conclusion to be drawn from the fact that the Fed is trying to suppress the interest rate at a time when the interest rates would be zero if they were set by the supply and demand for capital. Can you tell us what that conclusion should be?

They must be doing something else that forces UP interest rates, but which no one knows about or talks about. A conspiracy!

So then we agree that the Fed should stop all its policies to force the interest rate either up or down. That's the logical conclusion to draw from everything said so far on this.

Only if you deny the pro-cyclical human factors that you brought up.

If we don't replace the money that is destroyed and we don't increase the money supply to allow for growth we will face decreased savings, increased private debt and eventually deflation, the increase in the value of the money. These are all really bad for the economy.

So, keep the price level steady. Keep inflation at zero, and don't manipulate interest rates. Money can be infused into the economy, or taken out during inflation, without any need to manipulate interest rates. No one has shown why it is necessary to artificially set interest rates higher or lower than the market-set level.

Because the market sets interest rates based on the human factor, not the supply and demand for capital. And the human factor is pro-cyclical, it makes things worse, not better. Your thing is backsliding.

In a recession people tend to save money and to pay down debt. These actions make the recession worse, not better. The money supply contracts, making the recession worse.

The exact opposite happens in boom times. People go into debt. They spend instead of saving. It increases demand and increases inflation.

The normal way to create this money to avoid increased private debt and eventually deflation is for the government to run a budget deficit. They spend the money into existence by the amount of the deficit.

But they do it by running up debt, which is not necessary. And it is not true that the government must routinely run a deficit. But when more money has to be created, it can be done by budget deficits WITHOUT borrowing or running up more debt, as we've been doing.

You do me a disservice here by your selective editing and your apparent selective reading of my post.

If you run a trade deficit it means that the money, the dollars, are leaving the US economy. If you don't replace the dollars by running a budget deficit* then the money that the economy needs can only come from increased private debt or decreased savings. These things are much worse for the economy than an increase in the national debt. The problem is the huge trade deficit, not the budget deficit that is required to support it.

I think that you have misspoken when you said that we can have a budget deficit without increasing the debt. That is a requirement of the laws in place in the US right now. Reconsider your statement and try to tell us what you meant.

* or the Fed can run the printing presses making money out of thin air, which is also illegal.

The reason for the deficits and increased money goes beyond just maintaining a steady money supply or controlling inflation. That is the legitimate need. But it is also done to goose the economy, to force "economic growth" and "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" -- and this is where we have gone wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting to maintain a steady money supply or a steady price level. If we had just stuck to doing this, our economy would be stronger and we wouldn't have so much debt.

It is because creating jobs is the most important function of the economy. It is the way that the production of the economy is distributed to vast majority of the people in society.

Also, the wages from jobs provide the vast majority of the demand in the economy. It doesn't do any good to keep redistributing income away from wages to profits to build up ever increasing amounts of capital and supply in the economy if there is no demand in the economy to buy the products of the investment in production facilities. The holders of capital aren't going to mindlessly react to the interest rate as you assume. They will not make investments in the real economy to build additional production unless they know that the production will be sold, that there is demand for the additional production.

Money and capital are only finally useful to the economy if they are used to build real production or if they are used to improve human capital, for example, education. All of the financial investments are not useful if they don't result in real investment in those things. To the overall economy all of the non-productive financial so-called investments are nothing but different forms of money.

But none of this answers the question why interest rates per se should be suppressed.

Because in a normal recession, what is termed a cyclical recession, lowering the interest rates encourages home construction and the purchase of big ticket items like automobiles and white goods, appliances. More loans are made and more money is created.

Yes, to goose the economy, which does no net good, and does net harm because it distorts the market from performing according to supply-and-demand. If there really is deflation taking place, some extra infusion of money is needed, but that's not needed unless the inflation rate drops below zero, which is very rare.

There is no reason for the government to give artificial boosts to home construction or "big ticket" (or even "small ticket") items or "white goods" or "black goods" or "green goods" or any other particular kind of goods. Why should the government be picking out certain kinds of products and saying there needs to be more spending on these? Why should government dictate that there needs to be more spending on ANYthing?

What's wrong with an economy where the total spending might DECREASE at some periods? Why is that a bad thing? Why do people have to keep spending at some prescribed rate dictated by the state? Maybe the stuff being produced is becoming less desirable or there's less stuff out there worth buying.

Less spending means the producers are doing something wrong and need to improve their performance and start providing something consumers are willing to pay for. Or maybe reduce their prices to a level that is worth paying in return for the value.

But there's no need for the state to start kicking consumers around and demanding that they buy more stuff. Why is it the state's proper role to dictate to us how much buying and selling we're supposed to do?

The Fed and the government are not forcing anybody to spend money on anything. I was describing what happens by the choice of consumers when the Fed moves the interest rate up to reduce inflation.

It was only your over active imagination that is turning into a government plot.

But what we had in 2008 was not a normal recession, it was one caused by the financial crisis brought on by the banks and the financial markets bad behavior because they lacked adequate adult supervision. In such a recession banks aren't loaning money because they don't know how far the rot in their business goes. No loans are written. Obviously no homes were being built.

Whatever was wrong, it does not follow that the state is supposed to artificially promote more home-buying or more spending on anything. Punish the criminals, recover assets that were stolen, stop any bad regulations, do the necessary corrections to prevent further bad behavior, including to make sure that the state itself stops promoting some of the bad behavior, and so on.

But don't start dictating to consumers what they're supposed to spend money on or that they're supposed to increase their spending, and don't start picking winners and losers by subsidizing certain producers at the expense of everyone else, and don't promote "jobs! jobs! jobs!" just for the sake of jobs that we'll all have to pay for.

Once again, this is a bit of your hyperbole. The state didn't dictate to consumers what they should spend their money on. The financial crisis was caused by the mishandling of certain dangerous financial instruments. It wasn't by the government. The government knew about it and should have stopped it but the means to do that was in the hands of idiots in the government who believed that the markets didn't need any regulation, that they could self-regulate. A ridiculous idea.

Please read my original post.

It doesn't matter how low the interest rates are or how much money that they have in their reserve accounts. Credit dried up overnight. Outstanding lines of credit were canceled, loans that could be called in were called in. Outstanding loans weren't renewed. But it was even worse than that because consumers stopped spending and concentrated on paying down their personal debt. Businesses canceled investments in plant construction and did the same, they paid down their debt.

To accomplish what? It is not true that we need the state to goose the economy. It does not need to drive people to spend more, or to borrow more. All it should do is correct its own bad behavior and penalize anyone who did something criminal. Its only legitimate role in managing the economy is to keep the price level stable. And just enforce the rules, uphold contracts, prosecute fraud, etc. Why should it be setting ANY prices, including interest rates?

Are you saying that the economy will naturally reach a full employment equilibrium? That the free market if left on its own will produce the maximum amount of social good? That not only is the free market a perfect clockwork mechanism, it is a perpetual motion clockwork mechanism? And you believe this because you have faith in the existence of the never before seen clockwork self-regulating free market? And you have this faith because you read that it is true in books? And you are an atheist because you don't have faith in things that make no sense that only exist in books? Do you see where I am going with this?

Why do you believe that this wonderful economy can exist?

Two is to create money and to deposit it in the accounts of the member banks. Both of these depend on the banks increasing the number and amounts of the loans that they write. But the banks were reluctant to write loans and consumers were reluctant to borrow money to buy things. The net result was that neither of these tools got money into the economy. It doesn't do any good just sitting in the bank. To do any good it has to circulate through the economy.

If inflation drops below 0, then let the Congress (or the Fed) create money in a manner that allows some deficit or payment on the budget which is not borrowed. Do as much of this as necessary to get enough new money circulating to bring inflation back to zero. But no more than this is needed.

Don't create the new money by lowering interest rates, which is not necessary. And don't assume that we must get people to borrow more or get banks to lend out more money. It's not necessary to dictate to anyone how much they should spend or borrow or loan out to someone. All these behaviors should be determined by the market only, not by the government pretending to know how the people should behave.

What the Fed wants is for more people to buy more things, to borrow more money. Lowering interest rates and increasing bank reserves are two of the ways that they tried to do this.

Why should people have to buy more things or borrow more money? Why should the Fed pretend to know how much people should buy or how much money they should borrow? If this is why they lower interest rates or increase bank reserves, then they should stop doing either of these. What need is there for the Fed or anyone in the government to impose its theories onto society about how much people should be spending or borrowing?

But they failed. Even the QEs had only a limited degree of success. The bottom line is that in a recession triggered by a crisis in the financial markets monetary policy, what the Fed does, is not very useful. This was a surprise to the economists who run the Fed, they are all monetarists, they believed that they could pull us out of a recession with only monetary policy. They were wrong. A few even realize it.

Why is it the Fed's or anyone else's proper role to "pull us out of a recession" (translation: "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!)?

What was the "limited degree of success" of the QEs? How do we know that this produced any net good rather than a net harm?

Why isn't it OK to question all this goosing-the-economy rhetoric and for someone to answer why we need the Fed or Congress to try to force the economy to go faster? The nation is not a herd of cattle that's moving too slowly.

More of your appeals for the magic economy that exists only in your mind. The Fed and the government should be dealing with the economy that we have today, not some fantasy economy that exists only in minds of its proponents. The recent financial crisis was an example of what happens when they forget this and they listen to the fantasy.

We should have a NATIONAL BANK run by the government and devoted to meeting the economic needs of the people of this country. We can argue till the cows come home about the relative merits of this national joke and get nowhere. The Fed serves banks. It is entirely in the hands of BIG BANKERS and its policies are skewed in the interest of maintaining the wealth of the wealthy. We will either have a fair social order or one run by jokes like the Fed.

Because we don't have a National Bank and it doesn't serve the whole population, we have a system that discriminates against the interest of people without money and maintains a sham "system" of haves and have-nots. There really is no mystery why things are as they are. The Fed is a part of the formula for misery and poverty for millions of Americans. There is no way we can reconfigure this national joke to serve the interests of the nation. The Fed chairmanship is just a matter of musical chairs for a few big bankers.

The average man in America can have absolutely zero effect on the Fed. Its parameters simply are not social. When it runs afoul of the interests of the people of this nation, it still feels justified in its actions based on agreements between people with no connection with the realities of life most Americans face.

We should have a NATIONAL BANK run by the government and devoted to meeting the economic needs of the people of this country. We can argue till the cows come home about the relative merits of this national joke and get nowhere. The Fed serves banks. It is entirely in the hands of BIG BANKERS and its policies are skewed in the interest of maintaining the wealth of the wealthy. We will either have a fair social order or one run by jokes like the Fed.

Because we don't have a National Bank and it doesn't serve the whole population, we have a system that discriminates against the interest of people without money and maintains a sham "system" of haves and have-nots. There really is no mystery why things are as they are. The Fed is a part of the formula for misery and poverty for millions of Americans. There is no way we can reconfigure this national joke to serve the interests of the nation. The Fed chairmanship is just a matter of musical chairs for a few big bankers.

The average man in America can have absolutely zero effect on the Fed. Its parameters simply are not social. When it runs afoul of the interests of the people of this nation, it still feels justified in its actions based on agreements between people with no connection with the realities of life most Americans face.

I know I'd like a half million or so of that zero interest cheese....

There are perfectly serviceable internet banks with no minimum/no service charge. I don't see this discrimination you speak of.

There are perfectly serviceable internet banks with no minimum/no service charge. I don't see this discrimination you speak of.

He talking about the Fed, not the consumer banks.

I would like to see a national bank for a different reason. A government supported national bank if it was chartered correctly could control the abuses of the private banks better by competing with them. They could lower or raise interest rates by setting them for consumer banking in the national bank. The private banks would be free to set the rates that they want but they would have to be aware of the competition from the national bank.

The national bank could also absorb failed banks, rather than sell them off for pennies on the dollar to a mega bank. We have a lot of failed banks in Georgia because the state in a fit of Randian free market fervor removed all regulation of state banks

And with a national bank we wouldn't see a repeat of the refusal of the private banks to write down the mortgages of people who were caught underwater in homes that were worth less than the mortgages, homes that they did want to live in. The banks lost more money by foreclosing than they would have by writing down the mortgage in line with the decreased value of the homes, more often than not simply so that they didn't have show the losses on their books.

I would like to see a national bank for a different reason. A government supported national bank if it was chartered correctly could control the abuses of the private banks better by competing with them. They could lower or raise interest rates by setting them for consumer banking in the national bank. The private banks would be free to set the rates that they want but they would have to be aware of the competition from the national bank.

They wouldn't have the volume to be able to control interest rates this way.

The national bank could also absorb failed banks, rather than sell them off for pennies on the dollar to a mega bank. We have a lot of failed banks in Georgia because the state in a fit of Randian free market fervor removed all regulation of state banks

What's the point? Failed banks are sold off cheap because that's all they're worth. Absorbing them would produce no more value.

And with a national bank we wouldn't see a repeat of the refusal of the private banks to write down the mortgages of people who were caught underwater in homes that were worth less than the mortgages, homes that they did want to live in. The banks lost more money by foreclosing than they would have by writing down the mortgage in line with the decreased value of the homes, more often than not simply so that they didn't have show the losses on their books.

And what's going to pay for this???

And the reason the banks would foreclose at a greater loss is that they don't have to foreclose on everyone. Most people still make their payments. Suppose the math is write down an average of $20k or foreclose on 1 in 10 at a $50k loss. You're seeing $20k < $50k but really it's $20k * 100% vs $50k * 10%.

short version: It's all about "jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs! jobs!" etc.

Click the little doo-hicky above ^ for all quotes below (the original post).

I said that supply is high and demand is low.

Is demand low? I.e., demand of all potential borrowers, not just capitalist investors, but also consumers. I'm not even sure if "demand for capital" was the right term. Maybe "demand for credit" would have been better. We have to include ALL demand by anyone wanting to borrow. The higher this demand is, the greater is the upward pressure on interest rates for any borrowing.

So in this sense, is it true that demand today is low? And compared to what? Is it lower than it was in the 1970s, 1990s, etc.?

For you to be correct (that low demand and high supply today must drive interest rates to zero) you must mean that all demand for credit for whatever purpose is at a relative low compared to the last 50 or even 100 years. Is that the case?

I thought there were many potential borrowers these days who were being turned down. How do we know what the demand for credit is today compared to what it was in the 70s or 80s or 90s? How do we know this demand is lower today than it was back then? I question whether the demand for credit today is unusually low.

That is how we know that the interest rates would be zero right now if the supply and demand for capital set the interest rates as you believe that it should.

I don't think we know that. Is demand really so low? And again, the REAL supply of capital might be much less than all that capital that's sitting around, because the owners of the capital might be reluctant to lend it out.

And yet even if we grant that the supply is high and the demand low, it still does not follow that the price, the interest rate, has to be zero. It has to be lower than average, but not zero. And probably not only .5%.

So your insistence that the "laissez-faire" interest rate would have to be zero is incorrect.

So, again, why not let supply-and-demand set the interest rate and we will see what the laissez-faire interest rate would be.

This is because there is no costs of production of money. Is price, the interest rate according to you, can therefore be forced to zero.

No. Again, it would be low, but not zero.

This is an argument against letting supply and demand set the interest rates, which is your argument, not mine.

No it's not. There's nothing about someone holding on to an asset, for whatever reason, that contradicts supply-and-demand. Let supply-and-demand alone determine the interest rate, and all other prices, and let the holders of capital or anything of value sit on it if they want to. How is letting them sit on it an argument against letting supply-and-demand set all the prices?

This is one of Keynes' arguments against letting the capital markets setting the interest rates.

What argument? There is no argument here against letting the market set the interest rates or any other price.

He called it liquidity preference.

With a fancy title like that I'm sure it must be the Absolute Truth.

Money is not a commodity. It doesn't have any substitutes that consumers can replace it with. Money's importance to people far exceeds its interest income potential.

It is expressed many ways, the velocity of money, the demand for money or Keynes and now your liquidity preference, but they all boil down to the same thing, the human factor. How willing are people to spend or invest based on how they feel about the economy. Are people optimistic or are they pessimistic? It is the reason that economics is a social science not a pure science like physics. There aren't any natural hard and fast rules, no laws of economics. It is a subjective study.

The biggest problem with the human factor is the herd instinct. People tend to believe what everybody else believes. This means that the liquidity preference of nearly everyone is the same at the same time. People are all pessimistic in recessions, prolonging the recession and forcing it deeper. . This human factor is pro-cyclical, it makes recessions worse, it is what builds asset bubbles. This human factor is why we need counter cyclical agents like the Fed and the government.

We don't need them to suppress interest rates or push the inflation rate above zero or put the nation deeper into debt, all of which only make the economy worse overall. "Printing" some money during a deflationary period might be appropriate. Also some additional spending on infrastructure might be appropriate, without running up debt to pay for it, especially if there is some extra labor available and thus the cost of labor might be lower. During recessions the government should take advantage of the lower cost of labor to get some of its infrastructure work done, but not enact "jobs" programs out of pity for laid-off workers, which is not worth the cost to taxpayers.

We don't need "counter cyclical" measures like hiring workers because we feel sorry for them. No, better to leave that money in the "asset bubbles" than waste it on meaningless babysitting programs to keep the riff-raff off the streets.

The fact that there are other factors is the reason why the market can't be relied on to set the interest rate.

No, there's no reason why the market can't be relied on to do it.

No matter what the market-set rate is, no matter how low or high, there is no reason to ever judge that this rate is wrong. On what basis is that judgment made? How is the market-set rate ever too low or too high? too high for what? or too low for what? What can go wrong by letting the market set the rate? What's wrong if it goes "too high" or "too low"? How is this arbitrary judgment made that the interest rate is too low or too high?

And also, why the bias usually to drive it down rather than up?

Only if you deny the pro-cyclical human factors that you brought up.

No, regardless of any pro-cyclical human factors there is no benefit but only harm from the Fed forcing interest rates up or down. You've not shown otherwise. There is no need or benefit served by manipulating interest rates as a counter-cyclical measure during recession. You have no proof that this offers any net benefit.

Because the market sets interest rates based on the human factor, not the supply and demand for capital.

It sets them based on both. Supply-and-demand is determined by the "human factor" -- they're the same thing. Supply-and-demand is humans making choices, not something non-human.

(Aren't we getting bogged down here in semantics?)

And the human factor is pro-cyclical, . . .

Maybe, but so what? And maybe supply-and-demand is also pro-cyclical. Still it doesn't follow that interest rates need to be suppressed or that the inflation rate needs to be driven up.

. . . it makes things worse, not better.

And suppressing interest rates or pushing up inflation or debt makes things even worse still.

In a recession people tend to save money and to pay down debt. These actions make the recession worse, not better.

They don't make the economy worse. There's nothing wrong with saving money and paying down debt, even during a recession. The economy and the nation is better off overall to let the recession play out and pay down debt and liquidate excess assets. Recessions weed out less competitive producers. The solution is for producers to improve their performance, not the Fed to pour new money into the system to prop up the marginal producers who should fail. Also not to prompt people to run up more debt and spend more than they would otherwise.

Just let them keep the money supply stable, but no more. Any more than this makes the economy worse overall. You imagine you're curing the recession, but that's an illusion. Artificially creating phony demand and spending and debt in order to goose the economy is no solution to anything.

The money supply contracts, making the recession worse.

We agree. "Print" just enough to keep the price level steady, inflation rate at zero.

The exact opposite happens in boom times.

Which is almost never. 1920s, late 1990s. That's about all.

People go into debt. They spend instead of saving. It increases demand and increases inflation.

Contract money just enough to keep the inflation rate at zero. Nothing more. It's OK for people to increase their debt and their spending, as long as they're not doing it because of artificially low interest rates or artificial inflation.

If you run a trade deficit it means that the money, the dollars, are leaving the US economy. If you don't replace the dollars by running a budget deficit then the money that the economy needs can only come from increased private debt or decreased savings.

If there's really a need to replace those dollars, i.e., if there is real DEFLATION, then a budget "deficit" is a way to do it, but this doesn't have to mean higher debt. In such a dire circumstance there's no reason why the new money cannot be "printed" instead of borrowed. Why is it necessary to run up more debt in order for the extra money to be created? Aren't there ways already that the Fed "prints" money?

There's no point in quibbling over the mechanics of creating the new money. The fact is that it really is not necessary to run up more debt in order to create new money if and when there really is a need for the new money. Just because that's the way we do it doesn't mean that it's the only possible way to do it.

And this would only be during a period of real DEflation, or inflation rate below zero. So the need for it is rare.

These things are much worse for the economy than an increase in the national debt.

Again, we don't need to increase the national debt, and should not, in order to create new money, in the rare cases where new money is needed. Nor is there any need to decrease savings or run up private debt in order to create the new money. Even if these are currently done for that reason, it is not necessary to create new money this way.

The problem is the huge trade deficit, not the budget deficit that is required to support it.

No, the trade deficit per se is no problem at all. And it's not true that any budget deficit is required to "support" it. But the national debt per se is a problem, because of the interest we have to keep paying without end.

I think that you have misspoken when you said that we can have a budget deficit without increasing the debt. That is a requirement of the laws in place in the US right now.

I'm not saying it wouldn't require some change in the laws.

. . . or the Fed can run the printing presses making money out of thin air, which is also illegal.

Why should it be illegal to "print" extra money needed in order to prevent DEFLATION in those rare instances that require it? Why isn't that preferable to running up chronic debt that costs hundreds of billions of dollars per year in interest payments far into the future with no end in sight? and which cannot continue indefinitely? and which must lead to eventual default at the current rate?

It is because creating jobs is the most important function of the economy.

No, producing wealth is the most important function of the economy. Creating "jobs" is bad for the economy if those "jobs" cost too much. If taxpayers have to pay for those "jobs" (through higher taxes or higher future debt) or if consumers have to pay for them (through higher prices), then those "jobs" are a net drain on the economy and make us all worse off.

It is the way that the production of the economy is distributed to vast majority of the people in society.

But that's not the function of the jobs. Their function is to produce wealth, not provide incomes to the workers. The income paid to the workers is only to reward them for the work they performed, or a means to getting the work done, and getting that work done is the whole point, not providing incomes to the workers. The income to the worker is only that individual worker's concern, not the concern of society or the economy generally. Society's goal is getting the work done, not providing individuals with an income.

Also, the wages from jobs provide the vast majority of the demand in the economy.

(Finally we're getting somewhere.)

There is no need to "provide" demand in the economy. There is no such thing as a shortage of demand. What is needed is production to satisfy the existing demand, whatever that demand may be. But there is no need to create more demand in order to provide producers an outlet for their product.

It doesn't do any good to keep redistributing income away from wages to profits . . .

No one is doing this. The only redistributing like this that is happening is that of the market redistributing wealth away from the less competitive to the more competitive. As the value and production of some labor continues to decline, the market does direct some wealth away from this less valuable element and toward that which is more valuable. That's a kind of redistribution that is beneficial, because it's based on merit, rewarding those who are more productive/competitive and penalizing those who are less productive/competitive.

. . . to build up ever increasing amounts of capital and supply in the economy if there is no demand in the economy to buy the products of the investment in production facilities.

Are there some producers/investors whining because there's no demand for their products?

If "there is no demand in the economy to buy" some particular products, then -- y'know what? -- DON'T PRODUCE THEM. Duh!

The solution is not to create some new demand for something that shouldn't have been produced (or too much of which was produced) and build new "production facilities" to keep producing these unneeded products.

Or maybe the solution is to REDUCE THE PRICE of these products so that consumers will find them worth buying. But there is no need to try to create artificial consumers for these products that no one is buying. Let those producers change and get in line with consumer demand and stop blaming consumers for not buying their product, or blaming the state for not creating some consumer "demand" for their product. Society has no obligation to "provide" demand for anyone's production.

The holders of capital aren't going to mindlessly react to the interest rate as you assume. They will not make investments in the real economy to build additional production unless they know that the production will be sold, that there is demand for the additional production.

And they shouldn't invest in production that won't be sold. They should change their investing or production as needed in order to make their product worth buying. If they're having a problem getting their stuff sold, it's up to them to make whatever changes are necessary to get it sold. If need be, sell it at a loss and liquidate that production, if it couldn't succeed in the marketplace.

The last thing we need in the economy is to run up taxes or debt or inflation or wages in order to provide "demand" for some poor uncompetitive producers we feel sorry for, or for some poor investors who wasted their capital on something that wasn't in demand, or that cost more than its value.

What those inefficient producers/investors need is not to have some artificial "demand" created for their inefficient product, which society will have to pay for, but an improvement in their performance which will change their production to something that meets the existing demand. It's the production that needs to change to accommodate to the demand, not the demand that needs to change in order to provide an outlet to inefficient production.

Are you saying that the economy will naturally reach a full employment equilibrium?

Are you saying that suppressing interest rates has produced "full employment equilibrium"? All these measures do is cause some immediate increase in jobs, in the near term, for which we have to pay a price later. Any such measures, whatever form they take, cause a few new jobs, and after that a continuing on-going cost is necessary to keep those extra jobs, or to subsidize them or maintain them. When the subsidy or "stimulus" measure is ended, those jobs are lost.

I.e., if interest rates were allowed to go back up, those jobs gained earlier would be lost. The price for the jobs gained (suppressed interest rates) has to keep being paid on and on into the future, without end. What is desirable about "full employment equilibrium" which has to keep being paid for over and over again, to keep those few jobs, and which still falls way short of "full employment"?

That the free market if left on its own will produce the maximum amount of social good?

Market-set interest rates -- yes. This produces more social good than any artificial rate set by the Fed.

That not only is the free market a perfect clockwork mechanism, it is a perpetual motion clockwork mechanism?

For setting the prices of anything, the market does better than any other mechanism. You could call it "perpetual motion" in that it's not necessary for someone to keep setting it or resetting it or winding it up, like it is necessary for the state to keep changing the prices that it sets, whether the price of credit or any other prices.

The market prices keep changing automatically, without someone having to do the calculations to determine if this price today in this place is the right price or if it should be a little higher or lower. It's nice how the market does this automatically, so we can just let it go and not have to fuss over it.

It should apply to all prices (including the price of credit and the price of labor), as long as there is competition, and as long as there are no "externalities" cost, in which case the market still sets the price, but to this is added the externalities cost.

And you believe this because you have faith in the existence of the never before seen clockwork self-regulating free market?

We have many cases where the market was/is allowed to set the prices, and it has always worked better than a system where the state tries to set the prices. Those who want the state to interfere in setting the prices are the ones who have blind faith, and who act on impulse rather than reason.

And you have this faith because you read that it is true in books?

That the market performs better at setting prices than the state has been demonstrated over and over. It's known from books and from every record of the past and from everyone's personal experience.

Why do you believe that this wonderful economy can exist?

That economy does exist now, where the market sets the prices and I can shop for lower prices. It's not a perfect free market competitive economy (there's no perfect anything), but it's mostly the economy that exists. And it would be better if it were more free and more competitive.

They wouldn't have the volume to be able to control interest rates this way.

You may not fully understand competition.

What's the point? Failed banks are sold off cheap because that's all they're worth. Absorbing them would produce no more value.

You may not understand the concept of value. Typically failed banks aren't sold, they are given to a stronger bank who assume the failed banks liabilities and their assets. . The few exceptions are like the failure of Washington Mutual, the largest bank failure in the nation's history. WaMu had about thirty billion dollars in bad loans, about 10% of their assets. So on their books they were worth about 270 billion dollars. JP Morgan paid the government about two billion dollars for the entire chain of banks. This is from memory, don't hang me if I missed a billion dollars or two. What was their value? Two billion dollars? Or more than two hundred and fifty billion dollars?

How much did the transaction increase the assets of JP Morgan? According to you JP Morgan gained two billion dollars in assets. How much are you willing to bet on this that I you are right?

And what's going to pay for this???

Google "Bank bailout." It will help your memory. Get back to me when you have figured it out.

And the reason the banks would foreclose at a greater loss is that they don't have to foreclose on everyone. Most people still make their payments. Suppose the math is write down an average of $20k or foreclose on 1 in 10 at a $50k loss. You're seeing $20k < $50k but really it's $20k * 100% vs $50k * 10%.

Wow, a genius idea. We will only foreclose on the people who don't make their payments, not on everybody. Why didn't I think of that?

Loren, if you think that I am an idiot just come out and say it.

Back
Top Bottom