• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is/are the cause(s) of gender disparity?

What is the cause of gender disparity?

• Total voters
You would have had a point if cell phones caused women to develop/grow a dick.

This would really only matter if your job were as a male stripper (or the one for which a woman were applying, perhaps.) Otherwise, the dicks of my co-workers have never really mattered at the office. Do they show them around a lot where you work?

Sorry for being rude.

...or are you?

This would really only matter if your job were as a male stripper (or the one for which a woman were applying, perhaps.) Otherwise, the dicks of my co-workers have never really mattered at the office. Do they show them around a lot where you work?

I'm confused. If people at your office aren't showing their dicks around, how you decide who's in charge during a meeting?

On an historical (or even pre-historical) point of view, I agree with your analysis.
Differences in upper body strength, in muscle development in general, historically favored boys being the "stronger sex" and girls the "weaker sex".
Add to that the fact that women were restricted in their endeavours by having little birth control. Add that strange urge that a lot of men get to make sure they don't provide for the genetic offspring of another man, and you get a feedback loop where men are encouraged to think of women like "baby making property" and have the physical strength to impose it, and a society where social norms end being based on this view.

But this is the twenty-first century.
Most jobs can now be done adequately by both sexes, despite strength differences. (Plus, this has always been a mean strength difference - individual variability is greater than this difference).
We also have plenty of options for birth control, or to help a man take care of a toddler.
We are enlightened enough to, most of us at least, have shed the belief that women are innately less smart or something like that (300 years at least since the emergence of the first wave of feminist during the enlightenment, shouldn't that be enough? Apparently not if we're having this discussion)

All that is left to explain the differences are social norms that still assme women are the "weaker sex" and / or "less productive because kids", or "men like to provide and women like to nurture" (and woe to who doesn't fit the model, social isolation isn't for the faint of heart).
All of it reinforced by religions wanting to control sexuality (and as men are leaders so more difficult to control and most people are heterosexual, female sexuality is the most obvious target).

So, while I agree with your analysis, my answer to your poll is definetly "social norms".

Or....could it just be chemistry...or practice?think.jpg

I'm confused. If people at your office aren't showing their dicks around, how you decide who's in charge during a meeting?

Well that may explain some of the confusion around here. Because I'm in charge of all meetings. I have been accused of being a dictator (and also a Queen (and also Hitler, for that matter)), so maybe there's a subconscious attempt to give me a dick that way. And who knows? Maybe it came from my cell phone! No one ever accused me of being a dicktator before I had a cell phone, so.... you decide.

Simple: Women can see better!

Men are far more likely to have color vision problems than women.

Only women can be tetrachromats--they are to normal people as normal people are to those with color vision problems. 4 fully operational color detectors rather than the usual 3 (or effectively 2 in the most common form of color vision problem.)

(How this translates into gender disparity is another matter....)

Social norms.

After humans invented fire, women really didn't need men for muscle.

After all, she was smarter than the animals and had weapons animals did not...just like men.

So since the animals weren't getting any smarter, why did she need extra muscle?

When a creature just as smart as her with the same weapons started getting aggressive.

Namely, men.

Until women had to start fending off other men when groups started preying on one another did she need the extra muscle of men.

And somehow, somewhere along the way, men decided being able to deadlift a dead horse carcass meant a man was better than a woman.

Here is an illustration to female deficiency in analogy test.
Sorry for being rude.

...or are you?

You will do well in reading verbal cues test :)

IQ is weighted average of a number of tests measuring different abilities in different tasks.
So effect is diluted. In reality we know that effect is most pronounced in fields like abstract thinking where men on average much better, not just in tails.
Women are much better at "talking" part of the IQ test.
But it is true, IQ is not everything and there is more to it, but it still shows effect.

By "talking" part you mean verbal reasoning, which includes forms of abstract thinking.
No, that's not abstract thinking.
You need to show some evidence that men are better at "abstract thinking" and specify what "much better" means. Generally, the most reliable and sizable differences favoring men are in spatial skills dealing with tracking and anticipating the movement of objects in space and detecting differences in spatial orientation. The Raven's Matrices test does partly measure reasoning, but also depends heavily on these non-abstract spatial tracking skills, which could be the sole source of gender differences on the Raven's test. Note that pigeons are awesome at spatial tracking, yet lack abstract thinking skills. Also, note that gender differences on the Raven's tests only emerge in the mid-teens, and are highly variable from culture to culture, with many showing little to no difference (or even superior scores for women) and others showing larger benefits for men.
It seems you are clearly knowledgeable in the details in IQ testing, therefore you must know that I am right.

Gender inequality is caused by the PC police, who want to persecute men because they are all ugly lesbians who can't get dates!

Sorry for the sarcasm. Couldn't resist. I tried. Honestly, I did.

I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the disparity between the lives of people of each gender around the world. The understanding is basically this:
Thank you so much for formulating an Op which is compatible with the description of the PD Forum as hosting academic discussions (from the PD Forum description under the index page) :)
[*]Averaged out, women and men have inherent genetic differences
As all other species under the mammalian category do. All being influenced by their endocrine profiles defined as male or female.

[*]Those genetic differences have largely created a patriarchal dynamic
I agree. One may safely assume that the role of hunter and the role of protector of territory, resources, food supplies, access to water was largely assumed by males due to their physical strength. With that role came the responsibility to formulate rules and laws. To also add the warrior role often motivated by the need for conquest. Once that need was achieved, it resulted of an empowerment of the conquerors into the position of rulers over... Is that part of what you had in mind regarding how genetic differences have largely created a patriarchal dynamic?

[*]The genetic differences have also caused a certain type of society to form, most of the time
[*]Those societies then go on to reinforce social norms
[*]Gender disparity, then, can almost always be reduced to a combination of the statistics of genetic disparity, as well as social norms which arise from genetic disparity
While it is important to not omit the rare exceptions illustrated by females who voluntarily and consciously formed female communities only, excluding males totally. As a result, such females had to assume the initial role of hunter, protector and even warrior. With the subsequent responsibility of being rulers.

Other exceptions when it comes this time to rulers only, in some traditional cultures regarding family dynamics, the elderly widow of the deceased patriarch, assumes then the role of the ruler (observed when I lived in Sicily). The dominance and authority her husband exercised on the entire family is now transferred to her. Everybody better be listening to what the matriarch has to say and it matters not if she is a frail tiny woman.

In support now of genetic traits influencing the role of women in a native culture such as Maori : big/strong, tough and "mean" looking Maori women were included among the warrior males. It is their anatomy reflecting physical strength and definitely conveying "don't mess with me" which made them candidates to be part of the warriors. Those who will go to combat to protect and defend.
[*]Neither social norms, or genetic differences alone can completely account for gender realities in a society, they are both intertwined, strong forces

Thought?
I agree. Further demonstration being the existence of gender identity variants such as transgender persons. Distinguishing themselves from a binary gender based society where roles are attributed or expected based on the genetic identity as male or female or biological gender. Such persons have to affirm their gender identity as male or female based on their experiencing of female or male gender identity which clashes with their biological gender attributed at birth. The term "gender variant" is still relatively recent and challenges the belief that the role of an individual in our society is to be conformed to the genetic or biological gender of the person.

Further, it challenges also the belief that males and females by the quality of being biologically or genetically female or male are better fitted for one role or the other. Such challenge is bound to benefit males who will to be awarded the custody of their child. Such challenge is bound to benefit women who have absolutely no desire to ever be mothers (in view of a stereotype already pronounced in this thread regarding women being naturally predisposed to be nurturers of children). Bound to benefit both males and females who so far were kept distant ,due to other stereotypes, from specific professions. Nursing comes to mind as a profession where for the longest time women were deemed to be a better fit. Which is demonstrably untrue. Thankfully, the number of male nurses keeps increasing in the US.

We only need to look at the military establishment to observe to which extent females were persistently restricted and contained to rates and billets which offered a poor prospect for promotion and via successive promotions reaching senior officers ranks. There too fueled by a stereotype that males are better fitted for military functions than females are. Which is demonstrably untrue. Thankfully females have now access to rates and billets which offer the same prospect of access to successive promotions as males' access.

Stereotypes attached to one gender or the other have unfortunately affected several generations while reinforcing the belief of a binary gender society with a specific character and demeanor which must be compatible with the biological/genetic gender of each individual. In such manners so many young boys had been told "boys do not cry". Bringing shame and guilt upon those kids because they are supposed to be representative of a gender expected to never cry when hurt, whether it be emotionally or physically. Males are expected to not show they are being emotionally touched or moved. If they do, they are called "sissies". As if there is anything wrong with shedding tears when experiencing grief or pain or joy.

Women and the military.
British had the first ever woman commanding submarine. Guess what, she had an affair with a married male subordinate on that submarine.
I rest my case.

Women and the military.
British had the first ever woman commanding submarine. Guess what, she had an affair with a married male subordinate on that submarine.
I rest my case.
Ze torpedoes, ze make ze ladies crazy.

Women and the military.
I rest my case.

IOW, a married man serving with a single woman couldn't leave her alone.

Sounds typical male, doesn't it?

Women and the military.
I rest my case.

IOW, a married man serving with a single woman couldn't leave her alone.

Sounds typical male, doesn't it?
She was a commander there, and she knew that she was an experiment on which idea of women in the military depended a lot.

Women and the military.
I rest my case.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/may/05/140505-female-submariners

The three officers will now all take up their new positions - Lieutenant Stiles will continue her Logistics Officer post onboard, Lieutenant Olsson is undertaking Deputy Weapons Engineering Officer training and Lieutenant Thackray will become an Education Officer.

Care to detail which of those three 03 (Lt.) was "commanding submarine"? Do you somehow think that COs are Lieutenants? Oh...sorry...CO stands for Commanding Officer.

Now, let's take a look at the integration of females into sea billets regarding the US Navy, a most recent progressive measure having been in 2012 :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_States_Navy#Women_on_Submarines

On 5 December 2012, three Sailors assigned to USS Maine (SSBN 741) and USS Wyoming (SSBN 742) became the first female unrestricted line officers to qualify in submarines in the Navy.[12] Lt. j.g. Marquette Leveque, a native of Fort Collins, Colo., assigned to the Gold Crew of Wyoming, and Lt. j.g. Amber Cowan and Lt. j.g. Jennifer Noonan [ROTC Cornell University], a native of Scituate MA, both of Maine's Blue Crew received their submarine "dolphins" during separate ceremonies at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga., and Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, Wash.[12]

I am not sure which "case" you believe you have (considering the "I rest my case") but anyone taking the time to inform themselves ( two links I have provided is a good start) would notice that the integration of female personnel into sea billets (rather than being restricted to shore billets) has been very successful. So far it does not appear that female "bubbleheads" (bubbleheads being Navy lingo for submariners) are "commanding submarine" while having affairs with married male crew members.

Outcries of doom and loom greeted the first experiment in the US Navy to open sea billets for female personnel on ships designated as non combatant fleet units(support units such as AD and AS and AR) . Jokes were circulating via the VIth Fleet grapevine renaming the USS Puget Sound AD-38 the "USS Pubic Sound" and "about how many rabbits would be killed" (allusion to pregnancies). That was in the late 70's.

Women and the military.
I rest my case.

If that's a valid reason to keep women off of submarines, then it is also a valid reason to keep men off of submarines, because they've been having sex with men far longer than women have.

Women and the military.
I rest my case.

If that's a valid reason to keep women off of submarines, then it is also a valid reason to keep men off of submarines, because they've been having sex with men far longer than women have.
Not on the submarines.
My point was, it was an experiment and it failed spectacularly.
And at the time it was reported that she was commanding the whole submarine. It seems it was reported incorrectly.
Need to check.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ship-sent-home-affair-male-officer-board.html
I think it was this one, but I swear It said (at the time I read it somewhere) it was a submarine.
But anyway, close enough.
Close enough for what, Barbos? You actually think that in a thread discussing the cause for gender disparity, you made a case that an incident involving a Royal Navy female Senior Officer having an affair with a Junior Officer somehow demonstrates that female service members across all branches of the military are the cause for gender disparity within the military establishment?

If that is your line of reasoning where you "rest your case", I might as well evoke the high number of fraternization occurring within the US Navy involving Senior (to include Flag rank) male officers with Junior female officers, Limited Duty Officers (LDO) or enlisted or male Senior Chief or male Master Chief with female enlisted, all representative of the expected hierarchy within a chain of command reflecting superior ranks interacting with subordinate ranks. Reality being that the fraternization scandals which shook US Navy Commands while we were stationed in Naples, Italy, under the Dept of the Navy, all involved MALE Senior Officers ranks (to include 2 Flag ranks) fraternizing with subordinate rank females. Two Flag ranks males caught having affairs with their "puke Lt."

While the case I have been making illustrating gender disparity within the military establishment (since you introduced the military topic) is based on the long term limited access for female service members to sea billets. An access which has been facilitated now and has allowed female Navy personnel to become competitive with their male peers when it comes to promotion. Anyone familiar with how promotion boards work in the US Navy ought to know that having served tours of duty on board a fleet unit, meaning a ship, is absolutely necessary to be considered for promotion to an upper rank. Until females were given access to sea billets, they were contained to shore billets, restricting their ability to be competitive when it came to promotion versus their male peers who had had full access to sea billets.

Conclusion : US Navy female personnel were greatly delayed in their access to promotion prior to the late 70's/early 80's and that delay (still being felt today in view of the higher number of male 06 rank and above, above meaning Flag ranks) and it has NOTHING to do with fraternization between male and female US Navy personnel.

So, again, what "case" do you think you have regarding gender disparity within the military?

Back
Top Bottom