• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is it about The Fault in our Stars?

Playball40

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Non-religious
Has anyone read it? It seem like young people are obsessed over this book and have high expectations for the movie starting today. It's definitely a move away from the "Twilight" or even "Hunger Games" type books.

I read it after both my daughters insisted I do so.....sad subject/easy read but well done I think. Any one have any thoughts?

I had to look it up, since I've never heard of it, but it's not hard to see why it would be appealing to teenagers.

What makes a book or movie hugely successful among the young is not its contents but how well it's been hyped to the target age. They like what their social set is supposed to like. Facebook and Twitter could probably sell them Ulysses - even if they couldn't read it, they'd opine off the back blurb.

What makes a book or movie hugely successful among the young is not its contents but how well it's been hyped to the target age. They like what their social set is supposed to like. Facebook and Twitter could probably sell them Ulysses - even if they couldn't read it, they'd opine off the back blurb.
I don't necessarily agree with this. John Green had a following but not so large that this would push him to the popularity he has now. My daughters certainly do not follow what "Facebook" tells them to read/see. In fact they loathe many things pop culture.

- - - Updated - - -

I had to look it up, since I've never heard of it, but it's not hard to see why it would be appealing to teenagers.
Such a sad topic though.

Has anyone read it? It seem like young people are obsessed over this book and have high expectations for the movie starting today. It's definitely a move away from the "Twilight" or even "Hunger Games" type books.

I read it after both my daughters insisted I do so.....sad subject/easy read but well done I think. Any one have any thoughts?

What's wrong with Hunger Games? The overall meaning and action of the main character of the Hunger Games seems a lot more important than a schmaltzy love story about teens one of whom is terminally ill.

Playball40: I don't necessarily agree with this. John Green had a following but not so large that this would push him to the popularity he has now. My daughters certainly do not follow what "Facebook" tells them to read/see. In fact they loathe many things pop culture.

I take it back about Facebook and Twitter. The last comment reminded me of Erich Segal's Love Story back in my younger days. Maybe it is the content.

Back
Top Bottom