• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the deal with gift cards?

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Using them as gift seems kinda stupid. Buy a proper gift or just give cash. If someone gave me a gift card and am I supposed to be excited that the gifter knows what store I like?

Do you get a discount when you buy stuff with a gift card? That would make some sense.

Why are so many people selling gift cards on e-bay: 1) money laundering? 2) They don't like their gift card and want cash? 3) something I"m missing?

This $250 dollar Amazon gift card is selling for $345. What am I missing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Amazon-...4&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=251374764374&rt=nc

If you go online at Amazon, you'll find "stores" selling stuff for about 10x or more the going rate. I've always thought that had to be money laundering.

Using them as gift seems kinda stupid. Buy a proper gift or just give cash. If someone gave me a gift card and am I supposed to be excited that the gifter knows what store I like?

Do you get a discount when you buy stuff with a gift card? That would make some sense.

Why are so many people selling gift cards on e-bay: 1) money laundering? 2) They don't like their gift card and want cash? 3) something I"m missing?

This $250 dollar Amazon gift card is selling for $345. What am I missing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-Amazon-...4&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=251374764374&rt=nc

Overpaying for the card means they're paying with a stolen card.

Overpaying for the card means they're paying with a stolen card.
Good catch. I had a friend back in the eighties, who's father used to give him stolen cards. For $5 he'd put $10 of gas in my car.
I didn't know him for long.

I'm okay with Visa gift cards.
Just saying.

If i give cash to a kid that wants music, he can't spend it until the stores are open and he can get to the store. If i give him an itunes gift card, he can go online and achieve instant gratification.

My kids usually spend their Xmas giftcards before lunch on Xmas day.

The last gift my ex bought me was a gift card to get my nails done. I was extremely insulted as it was 'the best he could come up with'. It was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' for me.

On the other hand, when I was living 2000km from my family, gift cards were a good idea as they were easy to post!

The last gift my ex bought me was a gift card to get my nails done. I was extremely insulted as it was 'the best he could come up with'. It was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' for me.

On the other hand, when I was living 2000km from my family, gift cards were a good idea as they were easy to post!
Agreed. Women can get testy over gift cards. That's why I always give my wife cleaning appliances. Very thoughtful.

It's really ungracious to complain about a gift. If you were being paid for something with a gift card, you might have a complaint.

Agreed. Women can get testy over gift cards. That's why I always give my wife cleaning appliances. Very thoughtful.

At one stage I was quite sick with a head cold. My ex bought me a vacuum cleaner and a large frying pan...then figured if he didn't want to get hit with one of them he should get me flowers also.. Should have left him then.

Gift cards are usually the best of an array of bad options. I find that when people have gotten me 'random' gifts they're either surprisingly bad at knowing what I'd like, or they just don't care. At least when I get a gift card I can pick something out.

But then, the whole idea of gift giving for adults is terrible in the first place. Last Christmas I did a secret santa with my girlfriend's family, and two days after my name was drawn my girlfriend goes 'people want to know what you want'. What's the point of gift giving if I'm just choosing my gift!? Why not reserve gifts for small children and significant others? Gift giving is way, way over-blown these days.

Gift cards can be rather redundant. For Xmas, a friend sent a distant relative a $15 gift card, she got a $20 gift card in return. I told her she might as well send her aunt $5 bucks and call it even.

But I like gifts cards - a lot.

Especially when you don't know someone's size, don't know what they're really listening to these days or the only thing on friends' wish lists are $100+ items.

It's not insulting if you get manicures regularly. It's a blessing because they're not cheap.

Gift cards can be rather redundant. For Xmas, a friend sent a distant relative a $15 gift card, she got a $20 gift card in return. I told her she might as well send her aunt $5 bucks and call it even.

But I like gifts cards - a lot.

Especially when you don't know someone's size, don't know what they're really listening to these days or the only thing on friends' wish lists are $100+ items.

It's not insulting if you get manicures regularly. It's a blessing because they're not cheap.

Actually I didn't get my nails done regularly. The thing was that IMO he couldn't care less what I wanted, so he went for something 'safe' and 'easy' so he wouldn't have to think about it. He also boasted to his mates that he had 'gone the easy way out in terms of gift giving'. Did you read that I had been with him for 16 years at that stage and so he should have known me better?

FFS, Bilby did a much better job of gift buying for Christmas and I had only been with him 3 weeks at that stage.

Back
Top Bottom