• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the primary function of the brain and nervous system?

Strictly speaking, a bridge doesn't experience anything at all, which makes it a figure of speech. That was my point, a figure of speech. I was not criticizing you or anyone else, nothing personal, just a casual comment, just pointing to that distinction.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/experience has "to encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence)" as the umbrella definition of the verb experience.

A Dictionary definition? To 'encounter' or 'undergo' is an 'experience'...exactly......how? How does a bridge, for instance, 'experience' structural damage?

Sorry, we still don't agree. The word "reason" in the definition I gave implies an intelligent understanding of, rather than the creation of, one thing in relation to one or more other thngs.

The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists

There will be a reason that he came to Paris. For example that he wanted to see his sister. The reason was his. All reasons are somebody's reasons.

There is always a cause to a fire. Perhaps lightning. The cause is nobody's. It's a natural thing.

The reason for creating an airline is somebody's reason.

If a purpose is, as per the definition you yourself provided, "The reason for which something is done or created", then somebody will have thought about it. Why do this or create this? What is the purpose of doing this or creating this? The purpose is somebody's purpose. The purpose of an airliner is that which motivated the creator of it. He would have designed the thing so that it would fulfil its purpose, the one given to it by its creator. And if nobody wants to use it to fly to Paris, the purpose of it remains the same.

It's a matter of semantic and the semantic is implied by dictionary definitions. If purpose is The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists, then any purpose implies a mind to reason the purpose that becomes the one of the action done or the object created.
EB

Strictly speaking, a bridge doesn't experience anything at all, which makes it a figure of speech. That was my point, a figure of speech. I was not criticizing you or anyone else, nothing personal, just a casual comment, just pointing to that distinction.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/experience has "to encounter or undergo (an event or occurrence)" as the umbrella definition of the verb experience.

A Dictionary definition? To 'encounter' or 'undergo' is an 'experience'...exactly......how? How does a bridge, for instance, 'experience' structural damage?

Words mean what people use them to mean, and people use things like "experience structural damage" all the fucking time without meaning to imply that Bridgestone Are Self-aware.

Also: https://starkeycomics.com/2019/04/18/linguistic-prescriptivists-make-terrible-zoologists/

Words mean what people use them to mean, and people use things like "experience structural damage" all the fucking time without meaning to imply that Bridgestone Are Self-aware.

Also: https://starkeycomics.com/2019/04/18/linguistic-prescriptivists-make-terrible-zoologists/

Sure they do, common usage, blanket terms, equivocation, etc, yet the bridge sustains damage rather than experiences damage.

Despite common usage, a bridge cannot experience. Hence it is a figure of speech rather than an accurate description of the event.

Sure they do, common usage, blanket terms, equivocation, etc, yet the bridge sustains damage rather than experiences damage.

Despite common usage, a bridge cannot experience. Hence it is a figure of speech rather than an accurate description of the event.

Until people make it so (by their usage) that the verb "experience" means things other than what you want it to mean. Which has already happened.

Until people make it so (by their usage) that the verb "experience" means things other than what you want it to mean. Which has already happened.

Rather than being a matter of what I may or may not want, it is a matter of accurate or precise descriptions. Something that is not necessarily a part of common usage or common references.

Rather than being a matter of what I may or may not want, it is a matter of accurate or precise descriptions. Something that is not necessarily a part of common usage or common references.

https://starkeycomics.com/2019/04/18/linguistic-prescriptivists-make-terrible-zoologists/

'nuff said

https://starkeycomics.com/2019/04/18/linguistic-prescriptivists-make-terrible-zoologists/

'nuff said

Sure...the site makes my point. Precisely what I was talking about.

Sure, in some alternate universe.

"Just because someone uses a word in a way you aren’t familiar with, doesn’t mean they are wrong."

"Just because someone uses a word in a way you aren’t familiar with, doesn’t mean they are wrong."

Which just shows that you either cannot understand what I said, or simply refuse to understand what I said. Even your example of a ''bridge experiencing damage'' is not common.

Why say - the bridge 'experienced' damage rather than 'the bridge sustained damage' or say, the car 'experienced' extensive damage in a collision rather than 'the car was extensively damaged in a collision'

That's not to say that is may not be phrased that way, but that it is not, strictly speaking, correct.

experience noun
ex·​pe·​ri·​ence | \ ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s

1a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge
b : the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation
2a : practical knowledge, skill, or practice derived from direct observation of or participation in events or in a particular activity
b : the length of such participation has 10 years' experience in the job
3 : something personally encountered, undergone, or lived through
4a : the conscious events that make up an individual life
b : the events that make up the conscious past of a community or nation or humankind generally
5 : the act or process of directly perceiving events or reality

Last edited:

Which just shows that you either cannot understand what I said, or simply refuse to understand what I said. Even your example of a ''bridge experiencing damage'' is not common.

Why say - the bridge 'experienced' damage rather than 'the bridge sustained damage' or say, the car 'experienced' extensive damage in a collision rather than 'the car was extensively damaged in a collision'

That's not to say that is may not be phrased that way, but that it is not, strictly speaking, correct.

You are not, strictly speaking or otherwise, any kind of authority on what meanings other people can/should/do express with what words. You treat lexicology like a creationist treats zoological taxonomy.

experience noun
ex·​pe·​ri·​ence | \ ik-ˈspir-ē-ən(t)s

1a : direct observation of or participation in events as a basis of knowledge
b : the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation
2a : practical knowledge, skill, or practice derived from direct observation of or participation in events or in a particular activity
b : the length of such participation has 10 years' experience in the job
3 : something personally encountered, undergone, or lived through
4a : the conscious events that make up an individual life
b : the events that make up the conscious past of a community or nation or humankind generally
5 : the act or process of directly perceiving events or reality

Perfectly irrelevant since we are and always have been talking about the verb "experience".

You are not, strictly speaking or otherwise, any kind of authority on what meanings other people can/should/do express with what words. You treat lexicology like a creationist treats zoological taxonomy.

No, that is clearly not what I am saying. I am talking about precise terminology....something that I assume you value when it comes to accurate representation and description.

So when it comes to an accurate description of a bridge sustaining damage....it is not precise to say 'the bridge experienced damage' regardless of the fact that we know what is meant or that may be common usage.

It seems to me that you demand precision when it suits you but throw your purported standards out the window when it doesn't.....then it's, oh, well....common usage and references are fine, we know what it means.

What you have is a double standard.

Perfectly irrelevant since we are and always have been talking about the verb "experience".

Makes no difference.

experience, verb

experienced; experiencing

Definition of experience (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb
1 : to have experience of : undergo experienced severe hardships as a child
2 : to learn by experience (see experience entry 1) I have experienced that a landscape and the sky unfold the deepest beauty— Nathaniel Hawthorne

No, that is clearly not what I am saying.

Well it is. You refuse to acknowledge that words derive their meaning through usage, instead insinuating that they have a fixed, god-given meaning you're uniquely privy to.

I am talking about precise terminology....something that I assume you value when it comes to accurate representation and description.

Indeed. Now go ahead and propose a less ambiguous formulation for the sentence that had you dive into this derail: "To coordinate a near real-time whole-body response to environmental changes that may only be directly experienced by parts of the body."

Say the toes of your right foot as it touches the ground, go down further than they would if the ground were solid, or the fingers of your left hand are submerged in hot water, triggering a chemical cascade in the effected body part. It is due to the actions of the CNS that this gets translated into action by muscles in both of your legs (and balance-keeping supplementary actions by muscles in your torso) to make all of you take a step back, in a reaction to an environmental condition/change that is not perceptible at the position of those muscles themselves.

So when it comes to an accurate description of a bridge sustaining damage....it is not precise to say 'the bridge experienced damage' regardless of the fact that we know what is meant or that may be common usage.

It may not be unambiguous, but as soon as the verb "experience" has acquired that meaning, it's not imprecise as long as that's the meaning intended and understood.

It seems to me that you demand precision when it suits you but throw your purported standards out the window when it doesn't.....then it's, oh, well....common usage and references are fine, we know what it means.

What you have is a double standard.

What you lack is an accurate understanding of how words acquire their meaning.

Makes no difference.

experience, verb

experienced; experiencing

Definition of experience (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb
1 : to have experience of : undergo experienced severe hardships as a child
2 : to learn by experience (see experience entry 1) I have experienced that a landscape and the sky unfold the deepest beauty— Nathaniel Hawthorne

See how they cite "undergo" as a synonym? And what difference does it make anyway - say you found a dictionary that doesn't list any non-mentalistic meaning variants for "to experience", how exactly would that invalidate the empirical observation (accurately recorded by other dictionaries) that people do indeed use the verb that way? The only inaccuracy here would be in that particular dictionary failing to record all common usages of the word.

I've been wondering about this lately..

- Can all the functions of the the brain and nervous system be generalized into one primary function?
- If not, why not?
- If so, what is that primary function?

Your answers are much appreciated..

Increase fitness.

- Can all the functions of the the brain and nervous system be generalized into one primary function?
- If not, why not?

Survival.

- If not, why not?

Increase fitness.

All of those are equally applicable to Kinns, the lungs, or eyesight. Makes it kind of a non-answer.

Well it is. You refuse to acknowledge that words derive their meaning through usage, instead insinuating that they have a fixed, god-given meaning you're uniquely privy to.

Well, there is your error straight off. I do not deny that words derive their meaning through usage. I am talking about precise definitions.

What I am saying is, according to the given definition of 'experience' an inanimate object does not experience damage, it sustains damage. A bridge, according to the given definition of 'experience' is incapable of experiencing anything.....regardless of how the word is used or the meaning it acquires through common usage, which of course everyone understands what is meant.

We all know what is meant when someone says ''the bridge experienced extensive damage'' - just as we all know that it dd not experience anything in the way that a person does.

It's a whole different meaning and application on the word.

If you can't grasp that much, there is no hope of you understanding what I am saying, you just keep arguing with your own Strawman.

- - - Updated - - -

Not being able to grasp what I'm saying...you never had a case to begin with. You just argue with a Strawman of your own making, haha, never seeing the distinctions being made. Or perhaps just refusing to see.

- If not, why not?

Increase fitness.

All of those are equally applicable to Kinns, the lungs, or eyesight. Makes it kind of a non-answer.

He demanded to have it boiled down to the single primary function. That just leaves that one. Yes, all organs in the body have this primary function.

My point is that organs exist in a context. They don't just have one function, or primary function. The brain is a Swiss knife of functions. Different parts have different functions. Primary and secondary

Back
Top Bottom