• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What is the silver lining?

I'm asking you because you brought it up in your post.

As for the second part, you never went back after I responded to you.

Trump probably won't be able to return lost jobs. But unlike presidential candidates of the past few cycles, he actually voiced how trade deals can hurt blue collars workers. That mere acknowledgement probably went a long way for those people.

So he soothed them with words and promised them nothing and they're going to get nothing. So, hey, they voted for him. No wonder they're blue collar.

Trump probably won't be able to return lost jobs. But unlike presidential candidates of the past few cycles, he actually voiced how trade deals can hurt blue collars workers. That mere acknowledgement probably went a long way for those people.

So he soothed them with words and promised them nothing and they're going to get nothing. So, hey, they voted for him. No wonder they're blue collar.

If you like your healthcare plan, you can keep it!

I'm asking you because you brought it up in your post.

As for the second part, you never went back after I responded to you.

It'll be cold comfort for those people. No, Trump will not be able to bring back those jobs lost to outsourcing or technology. As for the trade deals, he doesn't seem to grasp the simple fact that in order to renegotiate a deal or negotiate a new one, you have to bring the other party to the table and offer something that's advantageous to them.

It'll be cold comfort for those people. No, Trump will not be able to bring back those jobs lost to outsourcing or technology. As for the trade deals, he doesn't seem to grasp the simple fact that in order to renegotiate a deal or negotiate a new one, you have to bring the other party to the table and offer something that's advantageous to them.

But he's the master of the art of the deal, don't you know?

I'm not sure they will do that, because there will the backlash of people who rely on ACA. It might be politically smarter for them to blame their failure to repeal on the Dems.

I'm not sure they will do that, because there will the backlash of people who rely on ACA. It might be politically smarter for them to blame their failure to repeal on the Dems.

Are they in touch with reality enough to understand that they'll seriously alienate several million voters?

Are they in touch with reality enough to understand that they'll seriously alienate several million voters?

Paul Ryan has already stated that they're going to repeal it on day one.

They didn't care about these people's health before, they're sure not going to care about it now.

I hate to say it, but probably most of the people who are on Obamacare voted republican. I could be wrong. I'd like to see an analysis of this. But there are consequences of either not voting or voting for the wrong guy. I favor health care for all. But I'm in a political party that has no power now.

The plan to scrap Obamacare was probably a factor in the Trump victory. So they'll likely make millions of voters happy.

Both the early ABC and NBC numbers show a widespread resentment of Obamacare among Trump voters. According to ABC, 81 percent of Trump voters think Obamacare “went too far, and half of Clinton voters think it didn’t go far enough.” Likewise, NBC reported that voters who think Obamacare went too far “are breaking decisively for Trump, 80 percent to 13 percent.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/11/how-obamacare-helped-trump/507113/

The plan to scrap Obamacare was probably a factor in the Trump victory. So they'll likely make millions of voters happy.

And when those millions of voters find out that the "replace" part of "repeal and replace Obamacare" was never actually part of the plan - leaving them all to fend for themselves against the insurance companies - they're maybe not going to be so happy.

And when those millions of voters find out that the "replace" part of "repeal and replace Obamacare" was never actually part of the plan - leaving them all to fend for themselves against the insurance companies - they're maybe not going to be so happy.

If they can get cheaper plans by buying only the coverage they want, not what the government dictates that they have to pay for somebody else, they're going to be really happy.

If they can get cheaper plans by buying only the coverage they want, not what the government dictates that they have to pay for somebody else, they're going to be really happy.

So you think insurance companies are going to suddenly drop their prices to celebrate the end of Obamacare?

The Republicans have been focused on the ultimate evil of Obamacare for so long they won't know what to do once they get rid of it. My guess is they'll still make it illegal to deny based on pre-existing conditions and what not but eliminate the exchanges and subsidies. Fuck it, you're on your own. They don't care about people's health care, or they would have expanded medicaid in their states at no cost to them. They'll probably throw some tax credits for health care out there too, which are a joke and again only help those that can already afford good insurance.

They're all smiles right now as they have all the government to themselves, but this may very well cause a tremendous backlash later. This isn't much comfort right now, but my guess is (as I mentioned in another thread) they'll do to the country what they've done to Kansas. They simply don't learn from their mistakes. They follow the dogma of the Republican party and their zombie economics. Lower taxes, lower taxes, lower taxes. That's all they've got besides cutting vital services. This will increase the rich/poor divide like never before. They'll remove financial regulation. They'll increase spending on the military. The budget won't be balanced. Education will suffer mightily, and people will be in hock to various companies for their health, education and basic services while they try to make ends meet. The financial sector will go hog wild. It will all come spinning down the drain, just like Kansas, and the only thing they'll do is blame the liberals some more.

Abroad, our standing in the world will have diminished significantly. Terrorism will be much worse, because it looks like the same cronies that were in charge and doing the torturing during the Bush administration will be in charge again, but this time with next to no restraint. I would expect Russia to increase their sphere of influence because Trump will be too busy blowing Putin for the occasional compliment, and because the nation will be too busy dealing with domestic issues as people of color and other minorities fight to keep from losing all of their rights. Trump's most enthusiastic supporters will be very, very angry, because there will be no wall, no mass deportations, and people will still be coming into the country. They will feel betrayed and lash out, probably on the minorities instead of their Orange savior.

People will be over the shithole the US has become, and then maybe, just maybe, they'll hand it all over to the Democrats to fix. Maybe with some luck the democrats will have a new leadership by now and be more effective. Once again, a good President will be handed a clusterfuck to fix, and the Republicans will use Trump as a scapegoat and then blame everything else on the new President.

Back
Top Bottom