• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What issues about religion are most important to you?

Well, it seems absurd to me to blame violence solely on people's beliefs in The Big G. You may as well blame the murder rate on people's incorrect beliefs about where knife points and bullets belong; it ignores so much cultural and socioeconomic context that it's absurd.
You're misrepresenting what I said. Never did I say that violence can be blamed solely on belief in God(s). I did say that if a belief in God(s) does result in violence, then we should see it for what it is. But of course Bush is a politician who feels the need to lie for political reasons. He could have just said nothing about the violence Islam can and often does cause.

Anyway, please take care to reply to what I do say and not what you say that I say.

Well, it seems absurd to me to blame violence solely on people's beliefs in The Big G. You may as well blame the murder rate on people's incorrect beliefs about where knife points and bullets belong; it ignores so much cultural and socioeconomic context that it's absurd.
You're misrepresenting what I said. Never did I say that violence can be blamed solely on belief in God(s). I did say that if a belief in God(s) does result in violence, then we should see it for what it is. But of course Bush is a politician who feels the need to lie for political reasons. He could have just said nothing about the violence Islam can and often does cause.

Anyway, please take care to reply to what I do say and not what you say that I say.
I think it's taking a lot for granted to claim that there's a causal chain between belief in The Big G and violent behavior. I'm not denying that religious people commit violent acts, or that the justifications they give for these acts contain a lot of religious rhetoric. All I'm saying is that blaming violence on religious belief ignores a lot of cultural context, and is usually just a way to push an anti-religious agenda instead of coming to terms with the real causes of social unrest or terrorism. Rather than engage with that criticism, you just got pissy.

As I said in my first post on this thread, religious identity maps neatly onto cultural and ethnic divisions and can be exploited by demagogues. However, blaming things like 9/11 or the Rwanda genocide on people's mistaken beliefs about God(s) is so simplistic and self-serving that I think I feel justified in questioning the validity of this proposed causal mechanism.

Separation of church and state.
The right to be free from religion.
Keep that in mind, --- as atheists pay for the tax shortfall created by religious tax exemptions.

I have tried to push you guys into tax revolt but I guess that paying to be insulted by the religious is something atheists do not seem to mind much.

Religions nail the atheists for about 85 billion per year in the U.S.

Nice of you and yours to pay your fair ??? share.

Regards
DL

For myself, the most important issue about religion is the harm and potential harm it does. A runner-up issue is critiquing the proposed factual and logical bases for religion. Issues that may concern some of you could be separation of church and state, religious freedom, and the cultural impact and cultural importance of religion.
Separation of church and state, especially, in the U.S. is a pipe dream.

My main focus in religions is the morality, or immorality would be better to use, that they sell.

Christianity is quite immoral as it deals with women and gays, while Islam is even worse.

Both preach inequality, while our secular laws and governments push equality.

Work hard against them because they are the immoral majority.

Regards
DL

I think it's taking a lot for granted to claim that there's a causal chain between belief in The Big G and violent behavior. I'm not denying that religious people commit violent acts, or that the justifications they give for these acts contain a lot of religious rhetoric. All I'm saying is that blaming violence on religious belief ignores a lot of cultural context, and is usually just a way to push an anti-religious agenda instead of coming to terms with the real causes of social unrest or terrorism.
Who's taking anything for granted? Actually, I know theistic beliefs can cause violence in people because I've personally experienced it. I also know that religious violence has occurred in many different cultures throughout history. So I'm not taking cultural context for granted. I'd recommend you get educated on the religious roots of violence. A good place to start is Fighting Words: The Origins Of Religious Violence by Hector Avalos.
Rather than engage with that criticism, you just got pissy.
This snarky comment is an example of how belief in God can lead to personal animosity.
As I said in my first post on this thread, religious identity maps neatly onto cultural and ethnic divisions and can be exploited by demagogues.
If religion is so handy as a tool for "demagogues," then that should tell you something about religion. It seems unreasonable to me to conclude that if religion is innocuous, then it can nevertheless be very useful in inciting violence. Most things that are harmless cannot so easily be made harmful.
However, blaming things like 9/11 or the Rwanda genocide on people's mistaken beliefs about God(s) is so simplistic and self-serving that I think I feel justified in questioning the validity of this proposed causal mechanism.
I think it's more likely that 9/11 was based on people's correct understanding of God rather than some mistake on their part. For many people including Christians as well as Muslims, God is their supreme Lord to be obeyed in all ways without question. What God says goes. So just like Abraham was said to have obeyed God's command to slay Isaac, the theists on 9/11 obeyed God's command to slay the infidel.

However, blaming things like 9/11 or the Rwanda genocide on people's mistaken beliefs about God(s) is so simplistic and self-serving that I think I feel justified in questioning the validity of this proposed causal mechanism.
I think it's more likely that 9/11 was based on people's correct understanding of God rather than some mistake on their part. For many people including Christians as well as Muslims, God is their supreme Lord to be obeyed in all ways without question. What God says goes. So just like Abraham was said to have obeyed God's command to slay Isaac, the theists on 9/11 obeyed God's command to slay the infidel.
The idea that you're so desperate to ignore any and all aspects of 9/11 that deal with geopolitics or culture that you'll double down on your claim that the terrorist attack was all about "obeying God's commands" is just hilarious beyond words.

I really feel like I'm getting stupider just trying to talk sense to you folks here. Bye.

Yes, geopolitics, race, culture, and ethnicity are part of conflicts. Religion is not alwys the sole root of a conf;ct.

That being said relgion and culture are woven together, you can;t separate the two.

From early on when Christianity spread to gentiles the anti Jeiwsh bias began and survives today. As a kid in the 50s I heard 'Jews killed Christ'.

When the Brits left India Muslims and Hindus turned on each other, a number of massacres and atrocities. Gandhi did his best to build a bridge between the two.

The long running war between Christian Europe an the Ottoman Empire, but for a few key battles Europe might have gone Muslim.

Regardless of what leadership actually believes, region has always been a tool of state. Romans thought a state religion was essential to maintaining civil order.

I agree that religion is not always the central issue in conflicts, but relgious faih is in no way harmless.

The idea that you're so desperate to ignore any and all aspects of 9/11 that deal with geopolitics or culture...
What am I ignoring? I don't recall your even trying to explain 9/11 as "geopolitics." You also ignored my example of Abraham agreeing to murder his sin Isaac as commanded by God. What geopolitics was responsible for Abraham's act of attempted murder?
...that you'll double down on your claim that the terrorist attack was all about "obeying God's commands" is just hilarious beyond words.
I'm basing my opinion on some documentaries I've seen about 9/11. The theists who carried out those acts did so to please God or so they believed.
I really feel like I'm getting stupider just trying to talk sense to you folks here. Bye.
You appear to be experiencing cognitive dissonance caused by your belief that theism is always good and the realization that it can be very bad.

Yes, geopolitics, race, culture, and ethnicity are part of conflicts. Religion is not alwys the sole root of a conf;ct.

That being said relgion and culture are woven together, you can;t separate the two.
Religion is a facet of culture that interacts with other facets of culture including ethnic customs, technology, and government.
From early on when Christianity spread to gentiles the anti Jeiwsh bias began and survives today. As a kid in the 50s I heard 'Jews killed Christ'.
My Dad used to say referring to the Jews: "They killed God." He believed that the persecution of Jews was God's punishment on them for killing him. Of course, he got all that out of the New Testament.
Regardless of what leadership actually believes, region has always been a tool of state. Romans thought a state religion was essential to maintaining civil order.
Religion is a kind of politics that supposedly involves an invisible man in the sky dictating that we obey the political leaders.
I agree that religion is not always the central issue in conflicts, but relgious faih is in no way harmless.
I agree that religion is not always to be blamed for violence. However, it's quite wrong to excuse religion's role in violence by blaming that violence on politics.

I say it differently. Religion is one manifestation of a common human characteristics, or of basic human nature. Yiou might call it the herd instinct.

You can not singularly call out the negatives of relgion out of context of human behavior in general. Relgion has posives and negatves like anything else human.

All human social organizations tend to power structures, personal power, and self preservation of the group and its identity. Unions are a good example, positives and negatives.

Historcaly relgion has been a source of conflict between individuals to states.

Over the last few years, I believe in god and having to get vaccinated violates my religious beliefs.

Parents who withold medical treatment for their kids because they believe it is in god's hands.

Religion is a facet of culture that interacts with other facets of culture including ethnic customs, technology, and government.
My Dad used to say referring to the Jews: "They killed God." He believed that the persecution of Jews was God's punishment on them for killing him. Of course, he got all that out of the New Testament.
Religion is a kind of politics that supposedly involves an invisible man in the sky dictating that we obey the political leaders.
I agree that religion is not always to be blamed for violence. However, it's quite wrong to excuse religion's role in violence by blaming that violence on politics.
Believer or not, we all have too much love of war.

We have to control ourselves better and we collectively refuse to do so.

Note how the Haigh wants to bring Putin to heel, while it ignores all the other participants that need to be at the negotiation table.

Many countries are guilty of war crimes. Not just Russia.

How many countries have signed on to the U.N. charter of rights and freedoms, are actually walking their talk?

The number is quite small.

Get all the oligarch if we want a real new social contract.

We are one world and are not acting like it.

The Haigh is looking at this as a make work project, while it should look at actually making peace world wide in one shot instead of ad hock make work projects.

Regards
DL

I say it differently. Religion is one manifestation of a common human characteristics, or of basic human nature. Yiou might call it the herd instinct.

You can not singularly call out the negatives of relgion out of context of human behavior in general. Relgion has posives and negatves like anything else human.

All human social organizations tend to power structures, personal power, and self preservation of the group and its identity. Unions are a good example, positives and negatives.

Historcaly relgion has been a source of conflict between individuals to states.

Over the last few years, I believe in god and having to get vaccinated violates my religious beliefs.

Parents who withold medical treatment for their kids because they believe it is in god's hands.

Religions are states and we are all individual states in a real sense. It is all tribal and instinctive as you seem to know.

We war because our selfish natures push us to seek the most secure position. In tribal terms, that means one big happy family, which is also our first tribe.

Putin and all people and countries regardless of the tribe size seek security and we will all kill to get it when push comes to shove.

I do not want to sound like I am badmouthing our waring natures, but our instincts know that cooperation is the best way to gain our best possible end.

Why Putin and his ilk, most of our countries are oligarch run, do not follow their instincts that default to cooperation.

Not following our instincts like our oligarch and political masters are doing is a sign of insanity.

Einstein would say that the rest of us are insane for trusting them, when they never produce a decent social contract.

Your last two lines confused me.

Care to expand on those?

Religions are for the spirit and your remark seems to speak to our bodies and those belong to the polit.

Your last seems to be unfinished.

Regards
DL

Brother Gnostic is testifying. He is speaking in tongues and I do not understand it.

It is all in the brain, including 'the spirit'.

My post was saying religion of any kind is like all human social groups. Tendency towards hierarchical power structures and a need to protect and defend the group idenity. For example claiming Gnostic Chrtians are beter than any other elgion.

Savvy?

I find it troublesome that religious identity maps so neatly onto cultural and ethnic divisions, and that demagogues can exploit this in order to motivate pogroms and civil wars.
It may be troublesome indeed, but it is inevitable. Religions are not sent down from heaven, so to speak. They are human inventions - inventions to guide human societies. They are the first forms of governments. You cannot speak of religions as if they were separable from societies. They are inextricably intertwined.

I think it's taking a lot for granted to claim that there's a causal chain between belief in The Big G and violent behavior. I'm not denying that religious people commit violent acts, or that the justifications they give for these acts contain a lot of religious rhetoric. All I'm saying is that blaming violence on religious belief ignores a lot of cultural context, and is usually just a way to push an anti-religious agenda instead of coming to terms with the real causes of social unrest or terrorism. Rather than engage with that criticism, you just got pissy.

As I said in my first post on this thread, religious identity maps neatly onto cultural and ethnic divisions and can be exploited by demagogues. However, blaming things like 9/11 or the Rwanda genocide on people's mistaken beliefs about God(s) is so simplistic and self-serving that I think I feel justified in questioning the validity of this proposed causal mechanism.
All religions teach that the most important aspect of the religion is believing that what it claims is true. To this end all religions discourage and demonize critical thinking and openness to new information and knowledge that threatens belief in those claims. True, religion is tribalism and all tribalism isn't religion, but religion sure doesn't help with the tribalism problem.

Freedom from religion sums it up for me.

As long as any religious group is not including me meaning my demographic in their narrative as evil and the like. I do not care. With one caveat, causuing direct harm. For example witholding medical attention ffrom someone in favor of faith healing. Or denying COTUS rights based on belefs.

With one caveat, causuing direct harm.
Indirect harm happens. Lots of people believe they are ghosts. This stupidity causes lots of indirect harm. But if I think I'm a ghost that's probably an effect. So I don't know what can be done in cases like this.

I find it troublesome that religious identity maps so neatly onto cultural and ethnic divisions, and that demagogues can exploit this in order to motivate pogroms and civil wars.
It may be troublesome indeed, but it is inevitable. Religions are not sent down from heaven, so to speak. They are human inventions - inventions to guide human societies. They are the first forms of governments. You cannot speak of religions as if they were separable from societies. They are inextricably intertwined.
All true, but they are the second form of government.

The King came first, the Queen actually, and the Noble Lie of religious worth was born next.

Regards
DL

Freedom from religion sums it up for me.

As long as any religious group is not including me meaning my demographic in their narrative as evil and the like. I do not care. With one caveat, causuing direct harm. For example witholding medical attention ffrom someone in favor of faith healing. Or denying COTUS rights based on belefs.
The God religions are preaching homophobia and misogyny, while our governments preach equality.

How do you measure that harm?

Regards
DL

With one caveat, causuing direct harm.
Indirect harm happens. Lots of people believe they are ghosts. This stupidity causes lots of indirect harm. But if I think I'm a ghost that's probably an effect. So I don't know what can be done in cases like this.
If one goes by if a lie or unprovable opinion is involved, faith without facts one might say, then all we need do is tighten up the fraud limits and standards.

Put honesty back in what we all say cannot harm any of us.

Liars won't like it though.

Regards
DL

Back
Top Bottom