• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What issues about religion are most important to you?

Again, you can not sibgle out relgion a a source of indirect harm.

Decriminalization of drugs has gad serious indirect consequences. I see it whenevr I am out in Seattle.

Long tern use of tobacco and alcohol are major health cost drivers. I saw that too in the nursing home and assisted living facilities I was in. I knew a guy who had ling disease from chronic pot smoking.

Teen suicide and addiction. Homeless, affordable housing, and income disparity.

Considering everything else going on in the country religion is at the bottom of the harm list.

Believing in Jesus and an afterlife in the face of all that might be considered a rational way to cope depending on your point o view..

I expect Gnostic Christian's evangelicalism is in part a way of coping with reality.

Again, you can not sibgle out relgion a a source of indirect harm.

Decriminalization of drugs has gad serious indirect consequences. I see it whenevr I am out in Seattle.

Long tern use of tobacco and alcohol are major health cost drivers. I saw that too in the nursing home and assisted living facilities I was in. I knew a guy who had ling disease from chronic pot smoking.

Teen suicide and addiction. Homeless, affordable housing, and income disparity.

Considering everything else going on in the country religion is at the bottom of the harm list.

Believing in Jesus and an afterlife in the face of all that might be considered a rational way to cope depending on your point o view..

I expect Gnostic Christian's evangelicalism is in part a way of coping with reality.
I do not think we do evangelizing.

We give facts and people accept them or not.

We are good at reality because we have rejected all supernatural garbage.

You are correct in that on the harm reduction side, legalizing p[ot did nothing to reduce drug harms because they legalized the least harmful while ignoring the really harmful legal ones as well as the other more deadly psychotropics.

That does not negate that drug users are more mentally balanced than the teetotalers.

Regards
DL

I saw your thread on another forum, with no resoonses. It was the same OP you initially posted here. I imagine you are on a number of froums spreading 'the gospel truth' of Gnostic Chrtianity.

I did not say Gnostic Christianity as a whole is evangelical. I said you are a proselytizing evangelical regarding your beliefs. Everybody else is wromg and in your own words you are the truth. As Christians say, you are testifying to your faith.

Not an indictment, an observation. Christians feel good when testifying to faith to others. When they convert somebody it us reassuring. Region if nothing elsvis a means of coping with reality.

I knew an educated rational pragmatic engineer who told me his mind would be plagued with questions without his faith.

As I have said before, while you insist you re different than other Christians to me you are a regular Christian in form and message.

As I have said before, while you insist you re different than other Christians to me you are a regular Christian in form and message.
So what? You keep insisting his religion is no better than "regular" Christianity, but you never get into a detailed comparison -- you just assert they're the same (and therefore, I guess, share the same general 'badness').

Actually I'm not sure I've ever seen GCB proselytize his religion. He just tells us it's better than the "evil religions". Which might be true - your stuff about "it's all the same" is BS. Nothing is the same. Probably some religions are better than others and that might be the case for his religion.

The details would have to be put out there and discussed. That GCB has a label for his religion and thinks it's better than others isn't in itself enough to argue against. You just keep proclaiming its sameness and pretending that's enough to believe it's a bad religion.

So what? You keep insisting his religion is no better than "regular" Christianity, but you never get into a detailed comparison -- you just assert they're the same (and therefore, I guess, share the same general 'badness').

Actually I'm not sure I've ever seen GCB proselytize his religion. He just tells us it's better than the "evil religions". Which might be true - your stuff about "it's all the same" is BS. Nothing is the same. Probably some religions are better than others and that might be the case for his religion.

The details would have to be put out there and discussed. That GCB has a label for his religion and thinks it's better than others isn't in itself enough to argue against. You just keep proclaiming its sameness and pretending that's enough to believe it's a bad religion.
You are most certainly entitled to your personal opinion.

In regards to religion the prime source f conflict is my belief is better than yours. In the extreme Shia vs Sunni Muslims in Yemen as we speak. Or North Ireland in the past.

Condemn those who do not believe as you f do.

Saying you think your belief is better is one thing. He has repeatedly used the word evil to describe other Christians, the same kind of prejudiced rants htose he condemns uses.

I doubt he is representative of Gnostic Christianity in general. Some of his previous rants going back to when he first showed up I consider hate speech, same king of hateful speech I have heard in person from extreme evangelical Christians.

He dialed it down after being suspended.

I saw your thread on another forum, with no resoonses. It was the same OP you initially posted here. I imagine you are on a number of froums spreading 'the gospel truth' of Gnostic Chrtianity.

I did not say Gnostic Christianity as a whole is evangelical. I said you are a proselytizing evangelical regarding your beliefs. Everybody else is wromg and in your own words you are the truth. As Christians say, you are testifying to your faith.

Not an indictment, an observation. Christians feel good when testifying to faith to others. When they convert somebody it us reassuring. Region if nothing elsvis a means of coping with reality.

I knew an educated rational pragmatic engineer who told me his mind would be plagued with questions without his faith.

Inquisition victims are of the same mind set as the inquisitors.

Ok.

Not your brightest, but ok.

Regards
DL

In regards to religion the prime source f conflict is my belief is better than yours.

No it isn't. It's the absolutism that says "my belief is the single truth and others must accept it or they'll be made to suffer". That's very different from comparing better against worse. There is better and worse.
Indeed.

Ask any Christian to argue him religious moral tenets and watch how fast the losers run for the hills.

Regards
DL

You just keep proclaiming its sameness and pretending that's enough to believe it's a bad religion.
No moral judgements are required when doing what he does.

Moral judgements are the hardest to get out of people.

If you, for instance, were to do an O.P. on The morality of substitutional punishment, a good thing to Christianity and their savior theology, but quite immoral to any justice system, you would see how you do not get any Christians takers to debate with.

Regards
DL

In regards to religion the prime source f conflict is my belief is better than yours. In the extreme Shia vs Sunni Muslims in Yemen as we speak. Or North Ireland in the past.

Saying you think your belief is better is one thing. He has repeatedly used the word evil to describe other Christians, the same kind of prejudiced rants htose he condemns uses.

I doubt he is representative of Gnostic Christianity in general. Some of his previous rants going back to when he first showed up I consider hate speech, same king of hateful speech I have heard in person from extreme evangelical Christians.

Sounds like you hated their speech as well.

If you cannot or are not ready to hate certain things, you are a defective human who does not know how to love.

Hate is created by our love, --- and both need to be exercised for the best mental health.

Regards
DL

If you cannot or are not ready to hate certain things, you are a defective human who does not know how to love.

Hate is created by our love, --- and both need to be exercised for the best mental health.

Regards
DL
I do not hate you, I understand you at least as much as I can by yiur posts.

Out in the real world I do not hate or carry personal conflicts. If I hve a dispute in the morning with someone, by the afaternoon it is ancient history. Forgotten.

On the forum if you amke a clam of absolute truth and call me stupid and evil, I will diapute it....we are here to debate. I will dispute it but I won't loose any sleep over it. I don't go around thinking about it. Whenam not online the forum does not exis for met.

Regards
DL
Hate is created by love? It's healthy to hate? That's as wrong as wrong gets.

Back
Top Bottom