• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What jazz are you listening to right now?

In terms of what purists would consider 'real' jazz, it's basically anything in a category outside of the above. But really any listener would need to do some reading to learn the various styles and classifications. Because like I mentioned, the genre has a huge history without many simple distinctions. It'd be like trying to talk of a universal and ubiquitous 'classical' music.. yea, if you've never actually studied the scale of the genre, of course you won't understand all the subtleties in it.

Yeah smooth jazz or adult contemporary...they kinda devolved from "fusion" after the likes of Spyro Gyra and the Yellowjackets.

But most generally it's history goes something like this: rag-time/band/new-orleans -> Louis Armstrong etc / 20s Jazz -> Swing Jazz / Coleman Hawkins / Lester Young / Duke Ellington -> 'Modern' Jazz.. cool, bop, hard bop, free etc.. and after that point the genre started declining which culminated to the industry today which is just a mish-mash of whatever.

Duke belongs closer to the beginning. From 1927(this recording of a recording is not so great, the remastered CDs are much better):

Wynton Marsalis Septet at the Vanguard

I've learned something about myself in the past few months. I like jazz that's fun and light.

In terms of what purists would consider 'real' jazz, it's basically anything in a category outside of the above. But really any listener would need to do some reading to learn the various styles and classifications. Because like I mentioned, the genre has a huge history without many simple distinctions. It'd be like trying to talk of a universal and ubiquitous 'classical' music.. yea, if you've never actually studied the scale of the genre, of course you won't understand all the subtleties in it.

Yeah smooth jazz or adult contemporary...they kinda devolved from "fusion" after the likes of Spyro Gyra and the Yellowjackets.

But most generally it's history goes something like this: rag-time/band/new-orleans -> Louis Armstrong etc / 20s Jazz -> Swing Jazz / Coleman Hawkins / Lester Young / Duke Ellington -> 'Modern' Jazz.. cool, bop, hard bop, free etc.. and after that point the genre started declining which culminated to the industry today which is just a mish-mash of whatever.

Duke belongs closer to the beginning. From 1927(this recording of a recording is not so great, the remastered CDs are much better):

He had such a long career I always tended to place him closer to the modern guys, but I guess he was drying up in when.. the 40s? With a bit of a revival after Newport?

I really need to give him a closer look.. have listened to a lot of his music but never really with any serious attention.

He had such a long career I always tended to place him closer to the modern guys, but I guess he was drying up in when.. the 40s? With a bit of a revival after Newport?

I really need to give him a closer look.. have listened to a lot of his music but never really with any serious attention.

I think his nadir was in the early 60's. In the 40's he started to work with longer forms, and he was the first jazz composer to do so. Beige Brown and Black I think was from that time.

I just made a few new playlists this week:

Jazz - The Weird Stuff

I spent some time researching odd and esoteric albums to throw in this list for those times I want to listen to some more challenging stuff. Suggestions welcome.

Jazz - Cool and Hot

Didn't want to mix the weird stuff with the nice sounding stuff, cool and hot also loosely defined here. Recommendations also welcome for this list.

In honor of Hersch making his way into town next week I dedicated some of this morning to his albums.

Still debating whether I want to attend the show, saw him last time he came here but now.. eh.

Folks,

I'm listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln concert on a Thorens td160 mk2 B turntable, Shure cartridge, Naim Nait Mk1 amp and Tannoy Mercury speakers.

If you haven't heard it like this.......

A.

Folks,

I'm listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln concert on a Thorens td160 mk2 B turntable, Shure cartridge, Naim Nait Mk1 amp and Tannoy Mercury speakers.

A.

My Audio-Technicas are downstairs (long walk and all) so I've now got it playing out of my Lenovo Laptop's speakers.

Could be worse :D

Folks,

A.

My Audio-Technicas are downstairs (long walk and all) so I've now got it playing out of my Lenovo Laptop's speakers.

rousseau,

It's a slippery slope when we move away from the vinyl, but understandable.

A.

Folks,

A.

rousseau,

It's a slippery slope when we move away from the vinyl, but understandable.

A.

Listened to it this afternoon on my headphones while doing some planning on my PC.

I'm not convinced that vinyl is actually better (or worse) than good modern equipment and file formats, but listening on a turn-table does have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Not for the faint of heart, but brilliant

Metheny / Coleman / Haden / DeJohnette - Song X: Endangered Species

I regret to say I didn't care too much for the rest of the album.

Spotify recommended it. From what I've heard so far it sounds like sanitized, smoothed out Coltrane. Are there really enough people buying into what Coltrane was selling that these are viable albums to make?

Spotify recommended it. From what I've heard so far it sounds like sanitized, smoothed out Coltrane. Are there really enough people buying into what Coltrane was selling that these are viable albums to make?

More like Miles to me...(tho indeed smoothed out)

More like Miles to me...(tho indeed smoothed out)

Yea now that I re-listen Davis is a better fit, especially in the track I posted.

I was going by some of the saxophone licks in this one:

Although now that I give it another listen I almost hear some Ornette in there.

Back
Top Bottom