• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What music are you listening to right now? (Warning: Lotsa videos)

Dang this makes me wish I went. Can't handle the local venue since I went to see The Obsessed, who have paid their dues big time. Very under rated band just like Weedeater. Weedeater's studio songs are so, so sweet. I can't think of bands to lump together and describe their sound. Saying eyehategod and some sludge band is so limiting because they are way beyond all that noise. Hard to pull it off live but somehow they do. Black Pussy is a band I plan to see soon. This month I think. Somewhere along the lines of The Obsessed I guess. So hard to identify band styles nowadays.

Smoker I've been looking for bands with hoods, masks and strange impersonal gimmicks like that. Stuff like Ghost, Batshuka, Imperial Triumphant, MGLA and whatever else. This is something I ran across and I think it is pretty good for a cellphone video. This is the type of show I wanna see. I hope more Black metal bands (and all music acts) catch on to this gimmick of completely concealing the face and behaving like a machine on stage. MGLA I'll say does it best, because they barely move when they perform. Seems their popularity is growing and influencing Portland bands, which is awesome.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrrcOFMiw5I[/YOUTUBE]

Smoker. I'll share what I've found so far. Starts with Arthur Brown of course. Cool masks and costumes. But that was 1968. I'll skip history and go with what is playing on You Tube right now. I'll get Hip Hop out of the way and say MF DOOM wears a mask brilliantly. Pussy riot wear masks pretty well but not my kinda music. Masked Intruder same deal. Stylish acrylic knit, but musically they don't do it for me. Drama Club are DJ's, so screw them. I do appreciate that they wear masks, but ew... DJ's. They even TALK during sets. How obnoxious. UADA pay respect to authentic Black Metal bands, and they do a decent job. They offshoot from MGLA in that little way. MGLA is of course the best veiled band out there - no matter what genre we're talking. Plenty of bands have masks, but concealment of the face (for the sake of concealment) is a whole other thing. MGLA understands this, unlike UADA, who just think it "looks spooky", which it doesn't. But their hoods and veils don't go unnoticed. I do appreciate what they're doing. I like Batshuka because of their over the top style. They're kinda like Ghost on the wrong kind of drugs. They're not nearly as talented as Ghost (the best theatrical metal band today), but Batshuka has some nice qualities and they are standing by their gimmick like champs. The Pope thing has been done, and it has been done very well, so I see no need to emulate Ghost to get views. The hood and veil is more neutral. I feel that any band can use veils without looking desperate for likes. I always take the time to log in and like a veil-wearing metal band. Have you ever listened to The Locust? Man that is some brutal metal with a lot of experimental, Mr. Bungle'ish elements. With great masks as a sweet bonus. Still looking for some good ones. Metal is pumping into You Tube pretty fast lately. New bands pop up left and right, and it is impossible to keep up. A lot of it is trash. 75% in fact. It makes finding real stuff a pain.

Roger Waters - Deja Vu

[YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3YlyE58LAk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFXY8Isjjw[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom