• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What music are you listening to right now? (Warning: Lotsa videos)

No videos on this one...

I'm listening to my blue vinyl edition of Joe Satriani "Not Of This Earth."

I went back home for a couple weeks, and my mother had dug up a box of my old records. I spent a decent amount of time recording them on her USB turntable (a gift I gave her) and uploading them to the Google so I could download them when I got back. Some of the records weren't in perfect shape. They hadn't been played since maybe 1992 at the latest, and had been in a box since 2001, but I got 25 albums digitized...scratches and all.

It will be a task to edit them down into individual tracks and clean them up, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm trying to get alcohol tolerant enough for my bachelor party next weekend.

I'm wondering what the benefit is to buying vinyl? It sounds good for the first hundred or so plays but is it really better than digital mp3s that never lose their quality?

I'm wondering what the benefit is to buying vinyl? It sounds good for the first hundred or so plays but is it really better than digital mp3s that never lose their quality?

mp3s can lose quality as well, and truth be told, the quality is already compromised.

I'm no audiophile, but the data compression at work when you transfer an analog recording to an mp3 results in a loss of quality. If you open that file repeatedly (to edit it, for example) and save it again the quality of the recording goes downhill just as surely as a copy of a VHS tape deteriorates the more generations you run through.

Back in the day when Napster was a thing, I downloaded a lot of low-quality mp3 versions of songs that had been clearly copied over and over again and they sounded like absolute shit. Someone's 128kbps copy of (let's say Metallica) gets pretty lossy after a few transfers, and then when you hear a first gen recording of a wav ripped from vinyl it's like a revelation.

Maybe the best way to listen to the pure music is to get it straight from the source

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mX3NkA7jM[/YOUTUBE]

This is a hook laden "Enka" style song:

Album version:

From when she was 19 years old and very dramatic

To older and more refined. I like the muted syllables at the right time, very technical.

This is "Elmo's" version

My nephews band's new album release announcement.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/KqIofk7vQL0[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom