• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What music are you listening to right now? (Warning: Lotsa videos)

Feeling sad.

Naomi Judd passed away. I got to spend a bit of time with her back in my old job, and she was a very nice lady. She suffered from depression, and the family announced that they lost her to "the disease of mental illness." So...yeah.

Canadian new wave band from way back.

I was listening to the recent UHQR reissue of Are You Experienced on AP's Clarityvinyl last night. At $125 it is not inexpensive, but this is the best pressing of the album I have heard, and it will easily be worth three times that a year from now once they sell out.

20220509_115400 - Copy.jpg

Echoes is a 23 minute track on Pink Floyd's 1971 album, Meddle. The visuals are from George Greenough's 1973 film, Crystal Voyager. Greenough recorded it while surfing with an army surplus 16 millimetre Arriflex, for which he had built waterproof housing, strapped to his shoulder. When he and editor David Elphick worked with the footage in the cutting room they were listening to Meddle and noticed that the last track made for a good fit. They sent a copy of the result to Pink Floyd and asked for permission to use their music, noting that because the film was produced on a shoestring budget and unlikely to attract much of a crowd outside a bunch of surfers, they won't be able to pay royalties. The band replied that Greenough can use the sound track free of charge if Pink Floyd could use the film free of charge whenever it performed Echoes live on stage.

Picked this up at Record Store Day in April and will be putting it on the table tonight. Its probably cut from a digital source, but never heard this title before and I don't have any other copies to compare too.

20220510_140725 (2) - Copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom