• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What podcasts are you listening to?

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
What are you listening too? I still listen to some of the main skeptic ones, but here are some others I like.

Sean Carroll's Mindscape - cosmologist interviews people from all walks, but sure mostly scientists and other academics.
Conversations with Tyler - economist Tyler Cowen also interviews a bunch of academics.
Very Bad Wizards - a philosopher and psychologist bitch about their fields.
Two Psychologists Four Beers - just like it says.
Philosophize This - covers western philosophy from its beginning at an intro level.
Ezra Klein - politics from a liberal weenie
Why is This Happening? with Chris Hayes - ditto
All the Presidents Lawyers - Josh Barro with attorney Ken White (@popehat), best podcast I've heard on the legal issues related to the trumpocracy.
Al Franken - politics and dad jokes from the serial groper.
Archaeological Fantasies - this is an old skeptic one I hadn't heard till recently, and it's now a favorite. A couple of archeologists discuss psuedoarcheology topics. But they don't do dinosaurs.

I like to listen to audioobook novels too, and so I've been trying to find some fiction podcasts, but haven't gotten into any I've heard. Anybody heard any good ones?

What are you listening too? I still listen to some of the main skeptic ones, but here are some others I like.

Sean Carroll's Mindscape - cosmologist interviews people from all walks, but sure mostly scientists and other academics.
Conversations with Tyler - economist Tyler Cowen also interviews a bunch of academics.
Very Bad Wizards - a philosopher and psychologist bitch about their fields.
Two Psychologists Four Beers - just like it says.
Philosophize This - covers western philosophy from its beginning at an intro level.
Ezra Klein - politics from a liberal weenie
Why is This Happening? with Chris Hayes - ditto
All the Presidents Lawyers - Josh Barro with attorney Ken White (@popehat), best podcast I've heard on the legal issues related to the trumpocracy.
Al Franken - politics and dad jokes from the serial groper.
Archaeological Fantasies - this is an old skeptic one I hadn't heard till recently, and it's now a favorite. A couple of archeologists discuss psuedoarcheology topics. But they don't do dinosaurs.

I like to listen to audioobook novels too, and so I've been trying to find some fiction podcasts, but haven't gotten into any I've heard. Anybody heard any good ones?

I like Cosmic Queries; astronomy Cast, Fresh Air, Planetary Radio, The Joe Rogan Experience, Our American Stories, All podcasts that feature the Oregon Ducks.

My regulars:

Metis in Space - lowkey but critical longform reviews of science fiction franchises by a pair of indigenous North American scholars

Council of Geeks Livestream- Sci fi and Trans rights topics

Almost Heretical - academic Biblical analysis from a resolutely Progressive standpoint.

Welcome to Night Vale - which I quite hope everyone is familiar with

NPR's Undiscovered (history of science topics) and Throughline (provides in depth historical background to current events)

Anthropological Airwaves
- which my professional organization publishes.

Facepalm 5 - political roundup by hardcore star trek fan and committed SJW Steve Shives

Speaking of Race - histories of racism in public life by a crew of anthros and a token historian

Hardcore History - Dan Carlin talking too long about various military history topics

Behind the Bastards: deep-dive research into the histories and activities of the very worst people in history. lots of shits about the big hitters like stalin, hitler, jerry falwell, hubbard, assorted nazis and slavers and business maniacs.

Even More News: weekly discussion about political news, by the team that make the youtube news series Some More News. basically this is the liberal media that the right wants to pretend actually exists in the mainstream (but doesn't) - strongly and unapologetically progressive voices discussing current events.

Worst Year Ever: the people from the above two podcasts deep-diving on presidential candidates and election specific issues.

The Weekly Planet: a duo of australians discussing movies, comics, and TV shows.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a covid podcast? I've been listening to two I like but that are starkly different from each other.

Epidemic - With Ron Klain (2014 ebola czar) and expert Dr. Celine Gounder. It's very well produced and organized. Has good guests and they take questions. Usually 30 minute episodes.

This Week in Virology - This is an old podcast, going on 600 episodes, which has lately been covering covid mostly. It's a discussion among a regular group of experts and some guests. This one could use a good producer, has a lot of small talk I don't care for, could be cut down, there's minimal or no editing. But it does make up for it in its quality of detailed expert information. They are unfiltered in their frank reactions to media misreporting and to criticisms of other scientists. It's been interesting to see their thoughts on covid develop over time from first reports in the news till now a worldwide pandemic. They also take questions. Episodes are usually 1-2 hours. You might want to increase the playback speed for this one.

TWiV just had Ian Lipkin as guest. He was the advisor for the Contagion movie. He has covid now himself and described what it's like.

Last edited:
West Wing Weekly: We listen to WWW discuss an episode of The West Wing, and then we watch the episode. They interview relevant people. For instance, one episode dealt with Don't Ask, Don't Tell, and for that episode they interviewed a congressman who got that repealed.

Board Game Barrage: Funny guys bantering about what they've been playing, favorite games, and such.

99% Invisible
Crime Writers On
Daniel & Jorge Explain the Universe
Freakonomics Radio
Hang Up & Listen (great sports podcast)
Monster Talk
Reply All (IT stories)
Skeptoid
SciFri
The Infinite Monkey Cage
The Many Moods of Ben Vaughn (fantastic music selection)
Rhino Podcast (more music talk)

If you come across any podcasts you think are good, please post them here. I'm always happy about learning about new ones.

Please add your favourite podcasts. Any topic.

I can go first:

Gnostic Informant.

If you are interested in learning about the soup of ideas that made it's way into the Bible, this podcast is great. He interviews various experts. The host is an ex-fundamentalist Christian. So he's got a "the fundamentalists are lying to us"-angle. Which I don't think is particularly interesting. At no point have I ever thought the Bible was litteraly true and I have never lived in a culture where that belief was widespread. But ignoring that... super interesting.

Parallax View
https://pca.st/podcast/843be030-8190-0137-f540-17da1cd0d495

This is essentially a debate club where leading contemporary philosophers argue online. The best episodes are the ones labelled "intellectual deep web extravaganza". It's philosophers viciously brain slamming each other. Both entertaining and educational. I recommend pausing and googling every reference dropped. It can be a struggle to keep up otherwise.

Litterature and history podcast

It's just what the can says. It starts at the beginning of recorded history and the earliest surviving texts and works itself forward. The narrative has now reached 430 AD. It talks about significant works of litterature and gives the context for its creation.

https://pca.st/podcast/313ef470-b861-0133-2e57-6dc413d6d41d

Kinbakunomicon
This is an extremely nerdy special interest podcast on the history shibari. Since shibari is to trendy now I assume there's more people than me into it. This is an excellent podcast.
https://pca.st/podcast/7b7ff7c0-84d2-0132-e808-5f4c86fd3263

Voluminous

This is a podcast put out by the HP Lovecraft historical society. They are focused on preserving and spreading the works of HP Lovecraft. In this podcast they discuss the personal letters to and from HP Lovecraft In extreme detail. What I find is the most fascinating thing about the letters is that it's a detailed window into 1920's America. HP Lovecraft was a rabid racist. He was an extreme racist even by the standard of his own times. And also intelligent and well read. I just find it fascinating to learn about a perspective so far removed from my own. His way of seeing the world is very similar to the fascists of his own day. Although Lovecraft didn't aprove of Hitler. Something I find fascinating. He thought Mousolini was great. Not so impressed by Hitler. From my vantage point I see them as pretty similar historical characters. It's fascinating to hear a voice not tainted by the I-told-you-so's we get after WW2.

Grey History, the French revolution

He does a good job of retelling the French revolution, in extreme detail, as well as presenting the facts from every available ideological slant. An exhausting project. But very satisfying. If you find yourself more confused after listening to an episode, it's because reality is confusing and the French revolution was extremely messy. I like his take on it. Instead of presenting history as a single coherrent narrative. He goes the other route. I applaude the initiative.

Strange Studies of Strange Stories

Two entertaining hosts talk about weird and spooky fiction. It's excellent. I use it a lot for finding good horror to read. I love horror fiction.

https://pca.st/podcast/b0913e40-1084-013b-0589-0acc26574db2

Dr thanks so much. I really prefer personal podcast suggestions. I’m checking some out and will report back, and add some suggestions of my own.

Closer To Truth

A series devoted to interviews. Theism, atheism, agnosticism, cosmology, physics, naturalism. Mostly short so these interviews are not wearying.

If you come across any podcasts you think are good, please post them here. I'm always happy about learning about new ones.

Please add your favourite podcasts. Any topic.

I can go first:

Gnostic Informant.

If you are interested in learning about the soup of ideas that made it's way into the Bible, this podcast is great. He interviews various experts. The host is an ex-fundamentalist Christian. So he's got a "the fundamentalists are lying to us"-angle. Which I don't think is particularly interesting. At no point have I ever thought the Bible was litteraly true and I have never lived in a culture where that belief was widespread. But ignoring that... super interesting.

Parallax View
https://pca.st/podcast/843be030-8190-0137-f540-17da1cd0d495

This is essentially a debate club where leading contemporary philosophers argue online. The best episodes are the ones labelled "intellectual deep web extravaganza". It's philosophers viciously brain slamming each other. Both entertaining and educational. I recommend pausing and googling every reference dropped. It can be a struggle to keep up otherwise.

Litterature and history podcast

It's just what the can says. It starts at the beginning of recorded history and the earliest surviving texts and works itself forward. The narrative has now reached 430 AD. It talks about significant works of litterature and gives the context for its creation.

https://pca.st/podcast/313ef470-b861-0133-2e57-6dc413d6d41d

Kinbakunomicon
This is an extremely nerdy special interest podcast on the history shibari. Since shibari is to trendy now I assume there's more people than me into it. This is an excellent podcast.
https://pca.st/podcast/7b7ff7c0-84d2-0132-e808-5f4c86fd3263

Voluminous

This is a podcast put out by the HP Lovecraft historical society. They are focused on preserving and spreading the works of HP Lovecraft. In this podcast they discuss the personal letters to and from HP Lovecraft In extreme detail. What I find is the most fascinating thing about the letters is that it's a detailed window into 1920's America. HP Lovecraft was a rabid racist. He was an extreme racist even by the standard of his own times. And also intelligent and well read. I just find it fascinating to learn about a perspective so far removed from my own. His way of seeing the world is very similar to the fascists of his own day. Although Lovecraft didn't aprove of Hitler. Something I find fascinating. He thought Mousolini was great. Not so impressed by Hitler. From my vantage point I see them as pretty similar historical characters. It's fascinating to hear a voice not tainted by the I-told-you-so's we get after WW2.

Grey History, the French revolution

He does a good job of retelling the French revolution, in extreme detail, as well as presenting the facts from every available ideological slant. An exhausting project. But very satisfying. If you find yourself more confused after listening to an episode, it's because reality is confusing and the French revolution was extremely messy. I like his take on it. Instead of presenting history as a single coherrent narrative. He goes the other route. I applaude the initiative.

Strange Studies of Strange Stories

Two entertaining hosts talk about weird and spooky fiction. It's excellent. I use it a lot for finding good horror to read. I love horror fiction.

https://pca.st/podcast/b0913e40-1084-013b-0589-0acc26574db2
Thank you. Some very good suggestions above. I will check them out. I listen to podcasts as background all day. Here are my favorites:

The Skeptics Guide
DEBATE
The Bible Says What
All podcasts put out by BBC!
WTF
The Atheist Experience
Strange News
Explain the Universe
Startalk
The Economist
The Journal

I've given some recs in a thread I started, coincidentally, exactly 3 years before your thread. What podcasts are you listening to? | IIDB.

I'll add a few more here.

Body of Evidence - looks at medical topics from a science based perspective. Covers a broad range, but one host is a cardiologist, so lots of good info for those interested in heart issues.
The Gist - political and news topics from my favorite centrist, Mike Pesca. Very well produced.
Hoaxed - 6 episodes about the "Hampstead hoax," a satanic panic / Alex Jonesian conspiracy theorists criminal debacle, refreshingly not originating in the US.

I've given some recs in a thread I started, coincidentally, exactly 3 years before your thread. What podcasts are you listening to? | IIDB.

I'll add a few more here.

Body of Evidence - looks at medical topics from a science based perspective. Covers a broad range, but one host is a cardiologist, so lots of good info for those interested in heart issues.
The Gist - political and news topics from my favorite centrist, Mike Pesca. Very well produced.
Hoaxed - 6 episodes about the "Hampstead hoax," a satanic panic / Alex Jonesian conspiracy theorists criminal debacle, refreshingly not originating in the US.
I missed your thread. Perhaps merge them, mods?

Back
Top Bottom