• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What song has 'spoken' to you and why?

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
I was thinking about this the other day and realise that there are a few songs that have meant a lot to me at one point or another.

For example: This song below gave me enough courage to leave my ex and not do myself in.

So I am wondering, what songs, if any, have encouraged you, inspired you, 'spoke' to you in some way.

Steel rails, chasing sunshine round the bend,
Winding through the trees like a ribbon in the wind,
I don't mind not knowing what lies down the track,
Cause I'm looking out ahead to keep my mind from turning back.

Deutsche Grammophon Classic Gold - Saint-Saens - Il Cigno. that is where I found it. Youtube does it no justice. The swells of the song and the general flow take me through my entire life in perfect timing. With extreme headphones on in bed with my eyes closed my life can flash before my eyes. It reminds me of what a drop of dew creeping down a leaf would be thinking if it were conscious. It speaks to me very much.

Me being from West Virginia... you can guess that I've heard steel rails quite a few times. It is a happy good times song but the theme is deeper if you focus on the lyrics. A cast your fate to the wind vibe it has in my opinion. I'm into neo-folk and of course front porch banjo songs from my inbred heritage. I'd like to hear that song with a stand up bass, one guitar and a tone deaf singer - neo-folk lol

I'm afraid I don't have any songs which have spoken to me in the "made me feel good" way or the "motivated me to change something for the better" way.

I do have songs which spoke to me in the "contained lyrics which strongly paralleled aspects of my life" way, the most salient of which being Aimee Mann's "Momentum", a fatalistic tune about being trapped on a self-destructive path by one's loss aversion and fear of change. It's spoken to me these past 15 years because I've been trapped on a self-destructive path by my loss aversion and fear of change.

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK30r_SIZ-g[/YOUTUBE]

Fiona Apple's Paper Bag has always touched me. It's the combination of her voice and the message in the song.

Back
Top Bottom