• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Been watching the new Bosch season. When he goes PI. Great so far. Must ration myself.
Yea, I like it, mostly because the first Bosch series was so stinking good! And of course I love the books. I don't think the new series is as good. I really liked the ensemble cast of the previous series. But it's good.

Been watching the new Bosch season. When he goes PI. Great so far. Must ration myself.
Yea, I like it, mostly because the first Bosch series was so stinking good! And of course I love the books. I don't think the new series is as good. I really liked the ensemble cast of the previous series. But it's good.

I’d never heard of Harry Bosch until about a year ago. A mate of mine recommended the series to me and I got tore in. Turns out my wife had read all the books and loved them. It really is a good series with a great cast. And I like the way it is filmed and makes Los Angeles look cool. The new series does kick off with a murder at a homeless encampment.

Wow...that's quite the lucky coincidence that you two have the same name!

Several years ago, a poster got very upset with me for something that I said. She did a short background check on me. Then told me that being a retired cop "wouldn't protect me" or something crazy like that! Pretty funny...

Several years ago, a poster got very upset with me for something that I said. She did a short background check on me. Then told me that being a retired cop "wouldn't protect me" or something crazy like that! Pretty funny...

That's pretty odd. I can't imagine what you could have said that would have triggered her. Your views seem pretty moderate to me and honestly, you stand out to me as one of the most respectful and polite members here. Particularly, your use of the term "Buddy!" when counterpointing an argument. :cool: Which is refreshing seeing that there are so many here who recklessly and needlessly fling insults and vitriol to people with views they don't agree with.

That's pretty odd. I can't imagine what you could have said that would have triggered her. Your views seem pretty moderate to me and honestly, you stand out to me as one of the most respectful and polite members here. Particularly, your use of the term "Buddy!" when counterpointing an argument. :cool: Which is refreshing seeing that there are so many here who recklessly and needlessly fling insults and vitriol to people with views they don't agree with.
Well, thank you for that. I used to be a commercial banker. She was upset that I wouldn't close a loan to a client with credit problems. She was going to complain to my boss! I told her my boss was lieutenant Harvey Pounds! She never got back to me about that!

Life, 7/10; A BBC six part drama series that covers the various crisis of the tenants in a shared dwelling house. Stars Peter Davison, an ex Doctor Who who plays a retired doctor who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. The series starts off really well with some interesting themes, in particular the young couple about to get married. The future bride is pregnant from a one night stand who is not the husband. A tricky situation.

I am watching Extraordinary Attorney Wu which is in its 1st season on Thailand's Netflix. I like it VERY much (although I may lose interest as the novelty wears off).

The soundtrack is Korean with 12 choices for subtitle language. I don't know any Korean but the subtitles are good so I like it as is. It's #1 in Thailand's Netflix.

Do U.S. viewers often watch non-U.S. shows? Is Attorney Wu or other foreign shows offered by Netflix? I've watched quite a few non-U.S. movies over the decades and noticed that the tones and styles are VERY different from U.S. movies. It makes them fun to watch even if you end up concluding you like American style better. I've watched a few Indian movies on Netflix here and enjoyed them. Korean culture is very popular in Thailand, but this is the first Korean TV I've watched so won't try to generalize.

Extraordinary Attorney Wu is about a darling young attorney who is a legal genius but severely autistic. Toward the end of each episode she usually thinks of a trick or legal argument and wins her case. This ultra-brief summary makes the series sound trite (and as I said, I'll probably lose interest after one season or so), but so far it really is a compelling watch!

My wife has been watching some of the Korean shows, if they are dubbed. And we both watched Squid Game, of course. Besides that, mostly anime and British shows for non-U.S. generated shows.

My wife and I watched a Chinese sci-fi movie just the other day. Dubbed to English. Pretty good quality production but the dialogue was terrible. We stopped watching half way through.

My wife and I watched a Chinese sci-fi movie just the other day. Dubbed to English. Pretty good quality production but the dialogue was terrible. We stopped watching half way through.
Could the dubbing be part of the problem with the dialog?

I watch lots of undubbed shows, and prefer them (as long as the subtitles are good) even if I don't know the language. There's a lot of content in the tone of voice, etc.

One of the silliest things I've seen on TV here was a Miss World contest with all the contestants' responses dubbed into Thai. I understand Thai — that wasn't the problem. But the VOICE (and its expression of character) is often one of the most beautiful aspects of a beautiful woman! (Who cares what they're saying? :cool: )

I typically try never to watch anything dub'd. Dubbing is so hard to do and often it seems an after thought or grossly under produced.

I just found out The Orville is back. This time it's called The Orville New Horizons. On Hulu.
Best season yet!

It will also be coming to Disney+

No announcement on a 4th season. Lot of calls on twitter for more.

Mr Inbetween, 8/10; Three seasons, 26 episodes streaming on Hulu. An Australian drama based in Sydney, Ray is a former soldier who makes his living "doing a bit of this, a bit of that" which for the most part is being an enforcer and hitman for Sydney underworld gangsters. Getting on in age and a single father co-parenting a young daughter he is not as enthusiastic about his line of work as he used to be but he has to make a living. Story lines are a bit patchy and there a few abrupt endings that seem strange. Also strange is that Australia has very strict gun control but the gangsters seem to have easy access to guns and ammunition. On the whole a pretty enjoyable series with an ending that was apt.

Hulu commercials are shit.

Mr Inbetween, 8/10; Three seasons, 26 episodes streaming on Hulu. An Australian drama based in Sydney, Ray is a former soldier who makes his living "doing a bit of this, a bit of that" which for the most part is being an enforcer and hitman for Sydney underworld gangsters. Getting on in age and a single father co-parenting a young daughter he is not as enthusiastic about his line of work as he used to be but he has to make a living. Story lines are a bit patchy and there a few abrupt endings that seem strange. Also strange is that Australia has very strict gun control but the gangsters seem to have easy access to guns and ammunition. On the whole a pretty enjoyable series with an ending that was apt.

Hulu commercials are shit.
I watched several episodes but it just didn't hold my attention. But I'm not big on episodic television so it may just have been me.

I watched several episodes but it just didn't hold my attention. But I'm not big on episodic television so it may just have been me.
Understandable, it can be a bit “choppy” plot wise during a season. Some pretty shocking event will happen and you’re thinking something is going to come of this but it just doesn’t get mentioned again. And the Australian accent can be a challenge. I was rewinding to get the cc!!

Understandable, it can be a bit “choppy” plot wise during a season. Some pretty shocking event will happen and you’re thinking something is going to come of this but it just doesn’t get mentioned again. And the Australian accent can be a challenge. I was rewinding to get the cc!!
I had no trouble with the accent. The subject matter, criminals being criminals, is not something that interests me too. But I do agree with your rating.

If that's the kind of genre you like, it's definitely worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom