• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Better Call Saul, 5/10; The final season was ok but it had definitely run its course and it became a bit of a chore to watch at times. I struggled to stay interested at time. The season finale was terrible.

Better Call Saul, 5/10; The final season was ok but it had definitely run its course and it became a bit of a chore to watch at times. I struggled to stay interested at time. The season finale was terrible.
I enjoyed the last season overall, but I have to agree the finale was a let down. I was expecting some kind of twist in it, but it never really came.

I enjoyed the whole series very much. I didn't find the finale to be that bad. What could they have done with the character? Kill him off like Walter White? I suppose you could say he achieved some kind of redemption.

I enjoyed the little jokes in the filming, like in the flashback with Chuck, Jimmy doesn't ask him about a time machine, but in the last second as Chuck heads to bed you see him grab a copy of a book. I just had time to read "H.G.Wells" on the title page before the scene ended.

Mr Inbetween, 8/10; Three seasons, 26 episodes streaming on Hulu. An Australian drama based in Sydney, Ray is a former soldier who makes his living "doing a bit of this, a bit of that" which for the most part is being an enforcer and hitman for Sydney underworld gangsters. Getting on in age and a single father co-parenting a young daughter he is not as enthusiastic about his line of work as he used to be but he has to make a living. Story lines are a bit patchy and there a few abrupt endings that seem strange. Also strange is that Australia has very strict gun control but the gangsters seem to have easy access to guns and ammunition. On the whole a pretty enjoyable series with an ending that was apt.

Hulu commercials are shit.
There was also a prequal movie called The Magician.

Well, I watched the first two episodes of She Hulk: Attorney At Law. I liked it. It was fun.

Bitten - 3/10

A show about werewolves where the fact that most of the characters are werewolves is kind of a secondary plot line in a show about relationship dramas. If you’re going to tell me that a show is about werewolves and then spend most of an episode focusing on the problems of being a bridesmaid for your boyfriend’s sister, the fact that the character happens to be a werewolf in her non-wedding related time isn’t what viewers signed up to see.

There are elements of a decent sci-fi show interspersed along the way, but the producers of this werewolf show appear that have hired a bunch of writers who are completely uninterested in werewolves.
I'm few episodes in to the show. Apparently in the world of Bitten there are ancient werewolf rules that say:

1. Don't turn in front of humans.
2. Don't kill humans, unless they see you turn for some reason.

I'm no fancy werewolf lawyer, but to me that sounds like a major legal loophole.

Rewatching Daredevil. Enjoying it again, still need to ignore fact that while he might be tough... that shouldn't inhibit his bones from breaking after a 30 foot fall onto concrete surface.

Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story, 6/10; Streaming on Netflix and it is the platform's most watched show just now. I only started watching this because the regular season of baseball is finished and couldn't be bothered searching for something on Netflix. The series is obviously about Dahmer and his horrific crimes. For anyone familiar with the Dahmer case it isn't really worth watching as it doesn't cover new ground, it's just a ghoulish rehash of what is already known. The series seems to have annoyed relatives of the victims which is understandable. If this series hadn't been about a true character it would be pretty decent and it probably still is for younger people who don't know who Dahmer was.

Rewatching Daredevil. Enjoying it again, still need to ignore fact that while he might be tough... that shouldn't inhibit his bones from breaking after a 30 foot fall onto concrete surface.
He had his appearance on She-Hulk last week, which was pretty good. And will have a new series next year.

Just finished watching the first season of Luke Cage. It's sooo good!
Think that was my second favorite Netflix Marvel series. Jessica Jones was #1 for me. Iron Fist first season sucked, and he brought down Defenders, but they were doing a lot better in the second season.

I think Daredevil was the best all-around Marvel Netflix series. Jessica Jones (of which season 1 was my favourite), Luke Cage and The Punisher all had good first seasons, but lackluster second and third ones.

Been thinking of binging a month on Disney+. Are any of the Marvel Disney series better than the Netflix ones? Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, or whatever the heck they've got?

I think Daredevil was the best all-around Marvel Netflix series. Jessica Jones (of which season 1 was my favourite), Luke Cage and The Punisher all had good first seasons, but lackluster second and third ones.

Been thinking of binging a month on Disney+. Are any of the Marvel Disney series better than the Netflix ones? Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, or whatever the heck they've got?
Wanda and Loki were great. Moon knight is... Weird...

Loki is good. She Hulk is good. Moon Knight was good. Wandavision, meh.

We do the Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ bundle.

As a long time Marvel fan I pretty much liked all of them. Think the one I liked the least was Ms Marvel, due to it changing her a lot from the comics, and being a more teen oriented show. Liked her family tho. The Falcon and Winter Soldier was good, bringing up the question of how can a black man feel patriotism for a country with a long history of racism.

Wanda vision was both comedy and a bit of horror I think. The first few episodes play like classic sit-coms, and they do it well, but there is the undercurrent of what is really going on. And the sit-com stuff is explained.

What if? Had some cool moments, but is not likely to come up in future movies (other than Captain Carter in the Dr Strange movie)

Oh, and Werewolf by Night was a good classic horror type special

I did not particularly enjoy any of those marvel series. Wandavision was probably the best of them.

Loki was great. A very good twist to his character. Falcon and the Winter Soldier was brilliant! Wandavision was incredible storytelling.

There seems to be so many different takes on the Marvel series. Some people love them, hate them, don't have a feeling one way or the other. One mention of how Ironfist dragged down The Defenders, which is somewhat what I was feeling the first time I watched it as you had three super heroes and a super whiner. But the second time I went through Defenders, his character appeared so much stronger. The Punisher was interesting, but my problem with The Punisher was the sense of certainty with his judgement, which is used to justify his overly ambitious violence.

Jessica Jones was wonderful. Love the character. The second season appeared to have such a smaller universe around it, going deeper into her origins. It feels contracted. But overall, kind of necessary... but still it feels less ambitious, but this is somewhat necessary being a smaller microcosm of super hero. Luke Cage was great because it was able to overcome the Superman issue of invulnerability.

Loki was great. A very good twist to his character. Falcon and the Winter Soldier was brilliant! Wandavision was incredible storytelling.

There seems to be so many different takes on the Marvel series. Some people love them, hate them, don't have a feeling one way or the other. One mention of how Ironfist dragged down The Defenders, which is somewhat what I was feeling the first time I watched it as you had three super heroes and a super whiner. But the second time I went through Defenders, his character appeared so much stronger. The Punisher was interesting, but my problem with The Punisher was the sense of certainty with his judgement, which is used to justify his overly ambitious violence.

Jessica Jones was wonderful. Love the character. The second season appeared to have such a smaller universe around it, going deeper into her origins. It feels contracted. But overall, kind of necessary... but still it feels less ambitious, but this is somewhat necessary being a smaller microcosm of super hero. Luke Cage was great because it was able to overcome the Superman issue of invulnerability.
Part of The Punisher was to hilight the flaws in such certainty of judgement.

It makes for an interesting filter: you can in fact make a lot of good ascertainments about someone on the basis of whether they catch that this is a flaw, just like you can do the same by whether someone catches Homelander as a villain.

Back
Top Bottom