• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Not exactly what this thread is going for but..

I don't deliberately watch any TV shows with actual actors, sit-coms, dramas, crime-shows.. what have you. In fact, the only 'TV' I watch is different sports, and the occasional property or cooking show when my girlfriend gets to the TV first.

So, with that said today I'll be watching Champions League soccer, and throughout the summer I'll be watching MLB baseball. You can imagine what that's like to watch so I'll let you form your own opinions about it instead of giving it a rating. What I like about watching sports like this though, is watching athletes who have spent their entire lives mastering their respective sport. I'm not a typical sports fan in the sense that I don't pick teams and go into depressive spells when they lose, instead I just like watching important matches between skilled teams with skilled players. There is nothing more exciting to me than the seventh or eighth inning of the seventh game of the American league championship. Watching that unfold is much more interesting to me than cheap jokes or formulaic drama.

That said, I have heard that there are a good number of great shows floating around these days, and in the past 5 years I watched a lot of 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire'. I liked both of those a lot, but after a while it seemed like the producers of them kept producing more episodes for the sake of profit, rather than an actual solid story-line. In other words, once you've seen 4 seasons of Mad Men or The Wire, you've seen them all.

I think in a way that's why I still prefer film to TV. When someone makes a film it's usually confined to a few hours, so the story is naturally self contained, and if it's aiming to be a work of art it usually works a lot better.

Not exactly what this thread is going for but..

I don't deliberately watch any TV shows with actual actors, sit-coms, dramas, crime-shows.. what have you. In fact, the only 'TV' I watch is different sports, and the occasional property or cooking show when my girlfriend gets to the TV first.

So, with that said today I'll be watching Champions League soccer, and throughout the summer I'll be watching MLB baseball. You can imagine what that's like to watch so I'll let you form your own opinions about it instead of giving it a rating. What I like about watching sports like this though, is watching athletes who have spent their entire lives mastering their respective sport. I'm not a typical sports fan in the sense that I don't pick teams and go into depressive spells when they lose, instead I just like watching important matches between skilled teams with skilled players. There is nothing more exciting to me than the seventh or eighth inning of the seventh game of the American league championship. Watching that unfold is much more interesting to me than cheap jokes or formulaic drama.

That said, I have heard that there are a good number of great shows floating around these days, and in the past 5 years I watched a lot of 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire'. I liked both of those a lot, but after a while it seemed like the producers of them kept producing more episodes for the sake of profit, rather than an actual solid story-line. In other words, once you've seen 4 seasons of Mad Men or The Wire, you've seen them all.

I think in a way that's why I still prefer film to TV. When someone makes a film it's usually confined to a few hours, so the story is naturally self contained, and if it's aiming to be a work of art it usually works a lot better.

Interesting. It would be inaccurate for me to say I like watching sport, because really I only really like watching Rugby. I am more typical - I have my teams and while I can enjoy the odd game in which they are not playing I don't seek them out.

You are right about the 4 season mark for The Wire, though to be fair they could have pushed it a lot further and it is a credit to the creators that they stopped at the end of S5. I have to say though that in the last few years I have not seen many films that are nearly as engaging as the better TV shows out there. Yes, with bigger budgets there is scope for action that you don't get on TV, though it is getting tediously overplayed. I have found that for engaging and detailed storytelling films are being left far behind by the smaller screen recently, in favour of re-imagining No 54, re-make No 789, Comic Book Hero film No 88 and re-boots of series that ended less than 5 years ago.

Orphan Black started its 2nd season.

Great series. The series focuses on Sarah Manning, a woman who assumes the identity of her clone, Elizabeth (Beth) Childs, after witnessing Beth's suicide. The series raises issues about the moral and ethical implications of human cloning and its effect on issues of personal identity.

The series passes the Bechdel Test. The women seldom talk about men and relationships. They talk about themselves and their situation and the bigger picture.

The women characters are very realistic, very individual, have likeable and unlikeable traits, and are all played by the same actress.

Great series.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70302572

Sweet IPU fuck me, I watched a magical girl anime and liked it. I suppose it helps that the anime is full of tragedy and

a very convoluted Groundhog Day-style time travel plot device that doesn't get revealed until towards the end of the 12 episode series.

Sure, you're watching middle school girls (complete with those stupid schoolgirl uniforms) transform into stupid-looking superheroes, but

every single one of those middle school girls dies, sometimes over and over again thanks to the time travel. Then they find out they're all destined to become the very monsters they've been fighting. Oh, and the adorable animal-looking friend who transformed them into magical girls did it so he can harvest them as an energy source, which turns out to be the whole point of the turning-into-monsters thing.

It's like a grownup deconstruction of the magical girl genre as just about every trope in it is turned into something horrible.

Great series. The series focuses on Sarah Manning, a woman who assumes the identity of her clone, Elizabeth (Beth) Childs, after witnessing Beth's suicide. The series raises issues about the moral and ethical implications of human cloning and its effect on issues of personal identity.

The series passes the Bechdel Test. The women seldom talk about men and relationships. They talk about themselves and their situation and the bigger picture.

The women characters are very realistic, very individual, have likeable and unlikeable traits, and are all played by the same actress.

Great series.

If she's the same age as her clone, then they missed one of the most important aspects of cloning: when you clone someone the result is an infant, not an identical adult.

Doing another binge run of Baby Einstein DVD's, hoping they'll improve my Mensa scores and all around adult development.

After that, digging Fargo (7/10), catching up on Boardwalk Empire (8/10) and anxious for the Penny Dreadful premiere (0.02/10)

They are not identical in looks or personality. They do look somewhat alike though. The actress does a fantastic job of playing all the different persona.

I just started watching Psych on Netflix.

It's about this guy who's really good at observing things who pretends to be a psychic to get some money as a private detective helping the police. It's pretty fucking hilarious.

Great series.

If she's the same age as her clone, then they missed one of the most important aspects of cloning: when you clone someone the result is an infant, not an identical adult.

Who said any of the characters is the template/original? :)

I just started watching Psych on Netflix.

It's about this guy who's really good at observing things who pretends to be a psychic to get some money as a private detective helping the police. It's pretty fucking hilarious.

They just had the series finale. I watched most seasons and enjoyed it a lot. The cast has great chemistry and the writing set the standard for use of 80s pop culture references. The hidden pineapple gimmick is genius.

I'm rationing House of Cards to max 2 episodes a week. You always expect Kevin Spacey to be good, but Robin Wright is bloody amazing. Not quite as gripping as the shorter Brit version, but it's holding my attention. 9/10

One night a week, the saddest comedy I can ever remember: Huff. Lots of talent, but way over the top. 6/10

Suppertime on CTS - the worst word they leave unhiccupped is "ass" - The West Wing. If I'd known it was coming to Netflix, I wouldn't have missed so many cooking shows in the same time-slot on another network. I never watched it first time around and am amazed at how current the ten-year-old political problems are. Superb cast and script, some crazy camera work. 8/10 - only because they too often talk faster than I can hear.

Scariest show in the whole frickin world: MI5. Budgeting it very carefully, coz nothing like this will ever happen again. 12/10

I've lately been caught up in "The Amazing Race All Stars."

Yeah, I know...reality TV. But I've got a couple excuses.

First off, it comes on one hour before Cosmos on Sunday night. It helps kill the time before NDGT brings the science.

Second, I've spent some time with the "country singers" Caroline and Jennifer, thanks to the fact that a friend of mine used to be in charge of promotion for their record label. They're actually very nice, talented people and I hope they win.

I'm rationing House of Cards to max 2 episodes a week. You always expect Kevin Spacey to be good, but Robin Wright is bloody amazing. Not quite as gripping as the shorter Brit version, but it's holding my attention. 9/10
You might like Boss with Kelsey Grammer. As good as House of Cards is, I think Boss is a cut above. Kelsey Grammer does a very good job with this role. Forceful and ruthless. Politician perfect.

Watching Person of Interest. Started off as a batman-esque show and is now a full on sci-fi thriller.

You might like Boss with Kelsey Grammer. As good as House of Cards is, I think Boss is a cut above. Kelsey Grammer does a very good job with this role. Forceful and ruthless. Politician perfect.
Thanks. I just noticed it the other night and slotted it in for "after". With Netflix Ca, we don't have a huge selection.

Thanks. I just noticed it the other night and slotted it in for "after". With Netflix Ca, we don't have a huge selection.

Dude, get a US VPN like everyone else in the country has. There's no need to limit your selection due to these arbitrary restrictions.

Finished suffering through Once Upon a Time Season 3. Shit just happens. No build up. Don't like it.

Once Upon a time started really well - imaginative story lines and good acting; the parallel worlds was intriguing. Then they started dragging in Disney characters and gads-know-what and it deteriorated. Now it's like some kind of zombie that keeps going just because it keeps going. Somebody, please put it down already!

Dude, get a US VPN like everyone else in the country has
Yes, as soon as the current contract is finished.

Once Upon a time started really well - imaginative story lines and good acting; the parallel worlds was intriguing. Then they started dragging in Disney characters and gads-know-what and it deteriorated. Now it's like some kind of zombie that keeps going just because it keeps going. Somebody, please put it down already!
What I find somewhat humorous is that in the finale is they never explain

why the portal started or where whosey went to in the first place or how whosey was even able to start the portal without any of the ingredients?!?

You start the episode wondering what the Witch is up to, and the episode ends up a farce of how Emma keeps on nearly destroying the timeline.

That pissed me off. Though not as much as the "twist" at the end. I felt like Truman Capote in Murder by Death.

Back
Top Bottom