• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What TV are you watching and how would you rate it? [Revive from FRDB]

Black Mirror. It's a science fiction drama/satire about how technology can be used to exploit people, and the consequences of technology in general. It's slow so far, but it's pretty well-written.There's no single, overarching story as far as I can tell, and it's unclear if the characters all live in the same world. There's a different scenario each episode. Some may find it contrived to some extent, but I'm mostly okay with that.

Black Mirror. It's a science fiction drama/satire about how technology can be used to exploit people, and the consequences of technology in general. It's slow so far, but it's pretty well-written.There's no single, overarching story as far as I can tell, and it's unclear if the characters all live in the same world. There's a different scenario each episode. Some may find it contrived to some extent, but I'm mostly okay with that.

I watched half of the first episode and found it to be so stupid and inane that it was unwatchable and I turned it off. I get the whole satirical bent that they were going for but I think that they just failed miserably on this one.

I watched half of the first episode and found it to be so stupid and inane that it was unwatchable and I turned it off. I get the whole satirical bent that they were going for but I think that they just failed miserably on this one.

Your sarcasm is impeccable.

Orange Is The New Black Season 1
Ok so I have only just started watching the first season and....... yeah I am interested so far
I'm not going to go so far as to say I am really loving it or anything but it has interested me enough to at least finish the first season and go from there

Your sarcasm is impeccable.

It's not sarcasm. That show sucked.

I was watching Rescue Me, which had some things going for it, until

the rape scene in season 3. There was zero sexual tension between Tommy and his ex-wife. Right afterwards there's upbeat rock music as the character's walking out from the apartment. Wtf?

The 100

SyFy Channel's post-apocalyptic take on Lord of the Flies, I suppose.

150 years after a nuclear war has wiped out all human life on Earth, the survivors have been living in orbit on a cobbled together space station. Crime is punishable by being shoved out of the airlock, but criminals under 18 are imprisoned. There are 100 of them, and they're sent down to Earth to see if it has become habitable again. They crash land, their communications are knocked out, and now 100 teenaged miscreants have to survive in the wild.

It isn't terrible, and I understand they're going after a younger demographic, but I'd trade this show for another season of Ascension. Oh well. Something to watch.

5/10

If Philip Dick spins any faster in his grave it may have an impact on Earth's rotation.

If he didn't spin in his grave with Blade Runner, he won't with this.

Philip K. Dick is famous for being very generous to film adaptions of his books. He had no problems giving film makers pretty much free hands to do what they wanted with his books. Dick was just happy that his books were made into films at all. I like people like that. A very humble guy. Here's an excellent documentary about his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cK2MPgAHRk

Nearly finished my voyage through DS9. There's been some really good stories (and I admit I still quite like Vic Fontaine) but I have to say Season 7 is a bit of a mess really. The first half is odd one-off stories that just seem to get in the way of the main business. And Ezri Dax? Whoever thought that was a good idea, introducing a new character with one season to go? Overall I do like it, although I can see why I hardly ever dip into the series when I want a fix of Star Trek. One more episode then the finale to watch.

Next year I'll do TNG. Make it so.

If he didn't spin in his grave with Blade Runner, he won't with this.

Philip K. Dick is famous for being very generous to film adaptions of his books. He had no problems giving film makers pretty much free hands to do what they wanted with his books. Dick was just happy that his books were made into films at all. I like people like that. A very humble guy. Here's an excellent documentary about his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cK2MPgAHRk

Fair enough, but for some of the movies, I wouldn't say they were his books made into film. Minority Report is a good example of a film that essentially gutted the fundamental aspect of the story. I guess one could say the film was 'inspired' by the story, but for those of us who might actually like to see his books/stories become films it was quite the disappointment.

I guess one could say the film was 'inspired' by the story, but for those of us who might actually like to see his books/stories become films it was quite the disappointment.
um, that's basically every single movie adaptation of every book that has ever existed, except MAYBE Sin City and 300 since those are both essentially page-for-page movie shots of the comics.

even some of the most faithful and well done book-to-movie adaptations make notable liberties and changes to the story, so it seems in a way like you're grousing about something that simply doesn't exist.

Vikings, Season 3 - 9/10

Epic as usual. Totally love this show and binged on the whole season for a day and a half.

Bosch - 8/10

Just started this show. About three episodes in, but liking it so far.

I guess one could say the film was 'inspired' by the story, but for those of us who might actually like to see his books/stories become films it was quite the disappointment.
um, that's basically every single movie adaptation of every book that has ever existed, except MAYBE Sin City and 300 since those are both essentially page-for-page movie shots of the comics.

even some of the most faithful and well done book-to-movie adaptations make notable liberties and changes to the story, so it seems in a way like you're grousing about something that simply doesn't exist.

Well, since I don't walk away from every book-to-movie adaptation feeling grossly disappointed, I believe that I do have a point. PKD's stories tend to be more complex and cerebral than the general movie-going audience wants (or at least what movie studios think they want), so they fare worse than other adaptations. It's not just about changes and liberties.

Death In Paradise, 6/10: A quirky and light crime drama based on a Caribbean island. The main character is a surly UK detective on temporary assignment and is like a fish out of water. But because he is so successful at solving his original murder case, he is kept on assignment as each episode there is another baffling murder that only he can solve. It's OK but not particularly engrossing.

Vikings, Season 3 - 9/10

Epic as usual. Totally love this show and binged on the whole season for a day and a half.

Bosch - 8/10

Just started this show. About three episodes in, but liking it so far.

Totally agree, Vikings is awesome. I'll have to check out Bosch, I love the books!

Back
Top Bottom