• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What us reality?

Many words reference objects and behaviors that we can stick a scientific fork into. Not so with words like existence and reality.
Reality is physical energy. That alone forms all things in the universe without any exception.
Existence is a phase of physical energy just like non-Existence. Science will know more about it in future.

Solution: dismiss even evident realities if they don't conform with a scientific model, to pretend science has a completer picture of reality than it has.
Hmmm. None of scientists I have known is trying to research the nature of consciousness; they all tend to focus on things that are measurable. They seek new ways to predict the behavior and understand the nature of matter and energy. Whether or how “consciousness”(which lack rigorous definition), is an emergent property of matter and energy can’t even be determined. Hence, philosophers looking down their elevated noses at scientists - who largely feed clothe and shelter them.

'Consciousness' is not a single thing, the word refers to a collection of abilities and features, to see, hear, feel, think, etc, where losing one's sight or hearing, for instance, does not mean that your sense of consciousness comes to an end.

Solution: dismiss even evident realities if they don't conform with a scientific model, to pretend science has a completer picture of reality than it has.
Abaddon, I don't think science ever claims that. Science advances only when there are unknowns.

Reactions: DBT
Abaddon, I don't think science ever claims that. Science advances only when there are unknowns.
I didn't say science does that. I said some ideologues do that. There's no critique of science in my post. NONE.

I said there isn't a completed picture of the world. It's not just some unknowns but there are also blindspots, some of them self-inflicted by ideologues in order to feel they've resolved the unknown.

Last edited:
Many words reference objects and behaviors that we can stick a scientific fork into. Not so with words like existence and reality.
Reality is physical energy. That alone forms all things in the universe without any exception.
Existence is a phase of physical energy just like non-Existence. Science will know more about it in future.

I see similar to the above aupmanyav. Yes I would expect there will obviously be new definitions to reality, or reality being redefined as time goes.

well, the more we avoid the scientific method the more we can just make up whatever we want. What is funny is how many people are OK with that.

We all have a philosophy. Define it as you will. Science philosophers just say ...

"Hey, if we are going to make stuff up, and we all do, lets make stuff up based on the information we do have."

Back
Top Bottom